Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Potty training...help

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:39 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 149 Total Views

My son is almost 4 year-old and not potty trained. I've been working on him on and off since he turned 3. I never pressured him thinking when he is ready I'll know or he'll say he wants to use the potty. my son is half deaf and has some communication issues but usually understands a majority of what you say to him and can talk to get his point across. anyway, he attends a special preschool program for those deaf and hard of hearing. They have been trying to potty train him with no luck and I am not getting anywhere with him either. But for the past month they have been pressuring him to go. they have been telling me I need to have him potty trained asap. I have been working harder to make my son want to go but he simply does not want to go.

I have been told to take all his toys and stuff away.

I have been told to make him sit on his potty until he goes even if it is for hours at a time 

I have taken him to buy underwear with his favorite character which he picked out. I had him pick out stickers to decorate his potty ( it's a simple blue potty given to me)

also bought a potty chair thing that goes on the toilet incase he wanted to try going on the big one. 

I have some rewards picked out for him for when he goes But he has not gone AT ALL. his school tried to do the sticker chart but my son could care less from what I'm told.

I'm at my wits end. everyone from his teacher to his car driver( like a bus driver) to my son's grandmother are pressuring me to make him go. this in turn upsets me and I have no where to put my frustration other than my son which makes things worse when I know he is just a little boy and not his fault.

please help me. I've cried and yelled and put myself down as a horrible mother over this. I'm alone in this. I have no one to support me or really help me with this. I'm just told to force him to go. :(

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
fla33023
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 3:59 PM
Does he have a therapist? I would talk to them to make sure there isnt anything else going on. As far as getting him to go, all you can do is lead them there. I put mine on the toilet (no potty chair) every hour for up to 15 minutes. Keep activities in there and be prepared with LOTS of praise when he goes. Don't beat yourself up. All children are different. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nightchild27
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 4:13 PM

his teacher is pretty much his therapist. she has been working with him since he was a year old and has gotten him to talk and all c aught up with his peers and other kids his age. she says he is just stubborn and he is a stubborn little but I think she is pushing the issue.

ms_aleah
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Positive reinforcement

Put books in bathroom he likes to look at

If has dad in the picture have the dad help him

Remember to give him 'private time' in bathroom rather than watch him go all the time

Reward system and verbal praise

Also make sure your "procedures" are similar to school ... if do it different and he already has communication issues that may make him frustrated and hold it more... which is not good for him!

Good Luck

MADMomma1975a
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Don't force it on him - he'll figure it out I promise.  My son learned because he is ALWAYS in the bathroom with us.  When we moved into our house 8 years ago (pre kids) the bathroom door didn't close right, and it was no big deal.  Five years ago my little man came into this world and I haven't had privacy since LOL.  I know that some folks take issue with others being in the bathroom while they do their business, but maybe if he sees you using the toilet it'll click for him.  Just as thought...

mommy_to_be_89
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:19 PM
My sons daddy showed him how to go. Also try sitting him backwards on the big potty and with my son if he would try to go I would give him a few m&m and I would tell him if he went potty I would give him lots more so that made him want to try all the time now he will go without even telling me.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)