Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1st Mother's Day Disappointment

Posted by on May. 15, 2013 at 11:11 AM
  • 7 Replies
  • 151 Total Views

This past Mother's Day was my first since my son was born.  I was really looking forward to having my special day and being made to feel appreciated and honored.  And I was greatly disappointed.  My husband didn't get me anything.  We went to Target the night before and I bought my mom a greeting card and her present (although she didn't know I shopped last minute).  While I was standing right there, my husband picked out a greeting card for me.  He got me no gift and picked out my card right in front of me.  The next morning (on Mother's Day) our 6 month old woke up at 6am and instead of my husband getting up to take care of him and let me sleep in, he rolled over and said, "Honey, the baby's awake."

Now, I wasn't expecting a big, expensive present.  We're new parents and we don't have a ton of money.  But I just wanted to feel special.  A surprise breakfast with some fancy mimosas for example.  Instead, he planned for us to have lunch at his mom's house (long story, but she doesn't like me), so that was fun.  And, I had to go grocery shopping for my own Mother's Day dinner that I planned.  In his defense, he cooked the dinner, but only after I got all the ingredients and asked him to.

Am I way out of line here?  My feelings were hurt.  It just felt like such an afterthought to him and like he didn't even care.  I, on the other hand, have been planning his Father's Day present for two months already because I wanted his 1st Father's Day to be memorable.  Please comment and give me some perspective.  Thanks.

by on May. 15, 2013 at 11:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
rocrobin90
by on May. 15, 2013 at 1:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Im so sorry that u had a bad mothers day. U shouldnt do anything for his fathers day. That is bad for a man to treat his woman that way.

lilyrose2011
by on May. 15, 2013 at 1:07 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm sorry that super sucks. All I wanted for Mother's Day was breakfast cooked for. He even said the night before that he would cook it for.....I ended up cookin my own breakfast and him waking up in a bad mood ruining my day...
sheath616
by on May. 15, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Thank you for your input.  That makes me feel a little better.  I was hoping I wasn't acting like a spoiled mommy, but it's just one day out of the year, am I right?  Lilyrose2011, I'm sorry yours wasn't great either.  There's always next year  =0)

lilyrose2011
by on May. 15, 2013 at 1:48 PM
Meh he ruined last years to lol he like gets anxiety around holidays it's weird haha on the plus side he did get my a bunch of Lilly bulbs and a lil shovel and rake to plant my bulbs. Lilly's are my favorite flower btw haha. Hopefully your next Mother's Day is better and he gets you a gift or cooks for you or somthing. Somtimes men need to be told ahead of time or they think nothing of it.

Quoting sheath616:

Thank you for your input.  That makes me feel a little better.  I was hoping I wasn't acting like a spoiled mommy, but it's just one day out of the year, am I right?  Lilyrose2011, I'm sorry yours wasn't great either.  There's always next year  =0)

sheath616
by on May. 15, 2013 at 6:50 PM

So true about telling them ahead of time.  After seeing the responses on here, it gave me the validation I needed and I brought it up with him.  I told him he hurt my feelings and I was bummed about how Mother's Day went.  He said he knew he totally blew it and he was soooo sorry and he said I deserve to be made to feel special every day of the year, not just on Mother's Day.  So I guess we'll see if he comes up with something all on his own.  Actions speak louder than words.

candlefire22
by on May. 20, 2013 at 4:39 PM

I'm sorry mama that's really tough... My first Mother's Day (four years ago) my hubby completely forgot about Mother's Day, I didn't even get a card :( or a happy Mother's Day but he remembered to get a card for his mom... Four years later and I'm still grumpy about it :/ sorry mama big hugs happy Mother's Day 

fla33023
by on May. 21, 2013 at 5:46 PM
1 mom liked this
Someone said you shouldn't get him anything for father's day and that is terrible advice. You have to lay things out for men if you don't want to risk being disappointed, it's just the way they are! If he's a great father, give him a great day! And be careful about who you take advice from, misery loves company.

Quoting sheath616:

So true about telling them ahead of time.  After seeing the responses on here, it gave me the validation I needed and I brought it up with him.  I told him he hurt my feelings and I was bummed about how Mother's Day went.  He said he knew he totally blew it and he was soooo sorry and he said I deserve to be made to feel special every day of the year, not just on Mother's Day.  So I guess we'll see if he comes up with something all on his own.  Actions speak louder than words.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN