Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Soap in Mouth

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 11:05 AM
  • 30 Replies
  • 866 Total Views

My daughter just cussed at me.  Should I wash her mouth out with soap?

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 11:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
abootie
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 11:22 AM

Heck yeah I would! I use it once in a while. When they are being extremely bad. It works pretty well for me. I just wet one end of "non used" soap and rub it in their mouth. Nothing extreme, but enough for them to realize the taste and that it's not so funny.

YB5505
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 12:39 PM

I never really understood this punishment...

But whatever you think will work! I say go for it!

What exactly did she say? Cause that would definitely play a factor!

jbirchard
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 2:57 PM

do it, it will teach her a lesson

darcyxdaun
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:11 PM

well if she learned it from a grownup such as yourself or someone around her a lot then no. It's not right for a grown up to be allowed to say these words and a kid not be able to. Depending on her age, she might not know the meaning behind these words. I've never understood putting soap in their mouth in the first place but I don't think I child can be punished effectively if they hear curse words all the time, of course they are going to repeat them.

jroseh68
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 3:29 AM

Quoting darcyxdaun:

well if she learned it from a grownup such as yourself or someone around her a lot then no. It's not right for a grown up to be allowed to say these words and a kid not be able to. Depending on her age, she might not know the meaning behind these words. I've never understood putting soap in their mouth in the first place but I don't think I child can be punished effectively if they hear curse words all the time, of course they are going to repeat them.

I have to say i agree with this reply.  My son is going to be three and bc his father and i curse he will every now and again say them.  It is very very rare now tho.  I have been working on myself im no angel tho.  But What I do is tell him that what he is saying is a bad word and i actually say the word to him so he knows exactly what im talking about.  I apologize for saying the word myself bc it is bad to say.  Now he corrects me when i say a bad word.  He will be like "DONT SAY THAT!" lol

Jennifer
TOMUCH_2FAST
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 3:31 AM

I would not too much though my mom use to make my brother swollow the soap and he learned to watch his mouth around her

3timesoccermom
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 3:56 AM

I could never use that particular punishment but if it was occurring a lot something would need to be done.  If this is her first time saying it I wouldn't even worry about it (don't know her age) if she's little because she's likely just repeating it after hearing someone else say it.  If she's said it a few times and you've mentioned you don't want her saying it and she persists it's time for something, but hopefully you can find something besides soap. 

amigomommyof2
by on Jan. 4, 2009 at 12:51 AM

i said a bad word as a kid and my mom did that to me. i never knew why the soap but it tasted nasty and i never said that word again but not cause of the soap but cause she told me it was a bad word and kids dont use that language. it was a word i heard fromkids at school.

ive never had a cussing problem with my kids they know not to do that but if they would i have to say i dont think i would use the soap i think i would do something else.

i would find out where she heard the word, if the ppl shes around alot is cussing maybe its time to make some changes. does she know what she said and the meanign of it? maybe a grounding or a spanking would be better.

Fifilaflea
by on Jan. 5, 2009 at 9:01 PM

I did not grow to respect my mother more for Ivory soap in the mouth.  In fact, I'm 45 and it still angers me.  You can choose to let her feel that forever if you like.

Blinky1989
by on Jan. 5, 2009 at 9:06 PM

I saw a real show once about this...the cjild had an allergy to something in the ivory soap and their throat swelled closed....try some other method.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)