Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

cheerleading???

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 11:47 PM
  • 18 Replies
  • 459 Total Views

Poll

Question: Would you let your 5 year old do cheerleading?

Options:

Yes

No

Maybe

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 83

View Results

If your 5 year old daughter came to you and said she wanted to be a cheerleader would you let her??? Heres why i am ask i was just reading something that a lady had wrote and she said she told her 5 year old no beause she feels that it plants in girls heads that boys are more important then girls because girls are cheer on the boys what do you guys think? would you let your 5 year old be a cheer leader?

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 11:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommybug77
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 11:48 PM

Well my brother was a lifter in HS & they cheered. It would depend on how much of a commitment was involved.

jbryan101
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 11:50 PM

I surely would because it is not just about boys when I was little we cheered on the girls as well as the boys cause girls need just as much cheering as the boys do and it was the same all the way up to high school! We cheered for girls and boys!

taesmommy1239
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 11:53 PM

My daughter is 10 and she has been cheering for years. And let me tell ya they have it just as rough as the boys. They practice 3 times a week for a 2 and half hours each practice then they have games which take 3 hours every saturday. They work just as hard as the boys they fall and get banged up just like the boys.  They are def. different sports but if that mom is so concerned maybe she should let her daughter try out for football.

thebestbrianne
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 11:54 PM

I would personally try dance or gymnastics firts. I would also make sure that the uniforms fully covered, no exposed bellies. I would not put make-up on my child either, or at most very little, like sparkle eye-shadow and clear lipgloss.

Join me at Non-Religious Mommies!

It's ok to be open-minded!

1_Teen_Mom
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 2:56 AM

i was a cheerleader at 5. it was rly fun and kept me in shape and good health. i voted yes

jroseh68
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 3:18 AM

I vote yeah.  It is a good way to keep children in good shape bc like others have said it is a sport.  Cheering is alot of dancing and some gymnastics as they get older.  As far as what you read the only way a child will think of it any differently then just a sport is if it is taught differently by the parent.  For that parent to tell there child that is very interesting bc whether they like it or not that is degrading the women and children that do it.  I cant say I was interested in cheering when I was in school but it is alot of work.  And as they get older extra activities looks good for college and jobs bc it shows commitment.  Also scholarships are a poosibilty.  I also agree though with the other mother that said to make sure the uniforms are age appropriate no showing of the belly and all and I wouldnt do makeup as well.  There are alot of sickos out there for one.  And you also dont want you child to think they need to look like that to be a cheerleader or send a wrong message.  Anyway let the girl have fun she may enjoy it, may not.  But it is always good to get your kid socializing thru activities.

Jennifer
workin_mamma
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 9:54 PM

i think my high school dance team uniform was more revealing then the cheerleading uniform. and we had more makeup on for dance then for cheerleading. i would totally let my little (if i had one) do cheerleading if she wanted to

Quoting thebestbrianne:

I would personally try dance or gymnastics firts. I would also make sure that the uniforms fully covered, no exposed bellies. I would not put make-up on my child either, or at most very little, like sparkle eye-shadow and clear lipgloss.

amigomommyof2
by on Jan. 4, 2009 at 12:34 AM

my daughter started cheering at 4 yrs old and has been a cheerleader for basketball and football and has always loved it but last yr she decided to do basketball and loves that too so shes doing it again this yr.

yes some ppl make cheerleading awful but for our time its been great. and I cheered from gradeschool all thru high school.

we do lots of sports here. my son has been playing basketball since he was 5 and hes 15 now, played football a few yrs in gradeschool, been playing baseball sicne he was 5. hes done track too.

my daughter has done cheerleading, tap/ballet dance when she was 3 and 4. shes played and is still playing basketball, she played softball 1 yr, soccer this past summer shes also done track and is planning to do it again this spring. shes also been in gymnastics for yrs now.

i think sports helps kids yes its demanding we go from one sport to the next it keeps us busy but it helps my kids stay active, keeps there grades up (mins have been straight A's since kindergarten) it helps with leadership and discipline.

im all for sports but then again i cheered,danced,played softball,basketball gymnastics

lilone292
by on Jan. 4, 2009 at 2:16 AM

My dd is 5 and I put her in cheer when she was 3. She loves it. It keeps her active and busy.

KristynRuth
by on Jan. 4, 2009 at 2:31 AM

I voted yes, I mean why not, if that's what she wants to do, does it make any more sense to say no if she wanted to play soccer or volleyball, or whatever? I have never been a chear leader, but to me it's just as much a sport as anything else.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)