Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone ever rent out a room in there house? PIOG

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:52 AM
  • 1 Replies
  • 123 Total Views

Dh and I really need to bring in some extra cash and we were considering renting out a room in our house. The way our house is set up is that the master bedroom and bathroom are on the first floor along with the livingroom and kitchen. Upstairs there is my DD's playroom, another full bathroom, DD's bedroom and an empty bedroom. DH and I were thinking we could move our bedroom upstairs to the empty room and try to rent out the master bedroom and bath. We absolutely will not just rent out the bedroom upstairs because I don't want someone of nonrelation slleping that close to my DD or using her bathroom. Well my questions are #1 is it wrong to rent a room to a stranger when we have a 2 year old DD? #2 how much rent is appropraite to ask for? #3 should we provide a bedroom furniture and a TV  in the rented room? I know of course that we should ask for some references and really check out possibe renters and that we need to get a legit contract, is there anything else we should know? Also is this just a crappy idea all together (I'm not completely sold on the idea yet) and should we scrap it?

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
Ice-Angel
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:26 AM

I personally couldn't do it. 

1) I couldn't have a stranger living in my house regardless of how many references I received for this person.  To me thats just creepy. And I would always have icky thoughts in the back of my mind.  Stuck between not wanting to be there with a stranger, and not wanting to leave fearful of what that person would be doing while I was gone.

2) I have learned from personal experience letting friends move in while they are in a hard time leads to horrible destruction of friendship.  Your best friend is a true best friend when you have space from them.  Everyone lives different.  They might not clean as much as you, or vis versa, the little things that make you two different end up bringing a wedge between you when living in the same house.  Not worth it.

I know times are hard right now, and everyone needs help in some way or another.  But, I would give huge thought to this and not enter it lightly.  Good luck on whichever way you decide.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)