Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Paci help!

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:27 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 202 Total Views

My daughter is 16 months. I am due with number 2 in March. My daughter still has her paci. She has only ever used it at night and nap time. She still takes 2 naps a day. She also always sleep through the night and has sense she was 6 months. Well my pedi told me its best if I try and get rid of it before 2. Well because Im expecting she said its good if I get rid of it before he is born. What ever there comfort item is they tend to become very attached when a new baby arrives. Well I attempted it a month or more ago. But she was teething and we decided it wasn't a good time. Well I only have 6 weeks left in my pregnancy so I decided to try it again. The first night she did fine she went right to sleep. Then the next day which was yesterday. She did not take one single nap. Well I figured she will probably just crash at bedtime which is at 7. 9pm rolled by and she was very very cranky and would not sleep. Well I am also very very tired being that its the end of my pregnancy. My husband said its just easier if we deal with it at a later time. This way we are all sleeping and such. But I feel like the longer we wait the harder it will be. I also feel like maybe if we did wait it would be a lot easier to cut it and say its broken. Maybe even do the whole paci fairy thing. The main thing im worried about is her teeth. Honestly because she only uses it at bed its not a day time issue. So its not like its in the way or anything. Im just worried about what will happen with her teeth. So anyways....is there any advice you have for me? How long does it usually take? Do I put her in her room at nap or bed and just let her cry?? I dont know I feel so guilty because it is her comfort thing. Now all of a sudden I have to take it when she doesn't understand why. Please help if you can....

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jenn74
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:32 PM

With my son, who is my youngest....I was awful and let him have it at bedtime until he was 3.....I just couldnt do it....I know it was horrible, but the dentist said i did take it away in time before it did any damage to his teeth....so if you need a little more time give it to yourself, having a new baby is stressful enough without your other one freaking out....Thats what I say anyway LOL....Jenn

bethelann2004
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:45 PM

I used the Farmer's Almanac with my son. You can look it up online. Click on weaning, and it will tell you the best days to wean your child. I used it with my son, and he never looked back. Good luck, on whatever you decide!

sarahp1979
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 2:46 PM

with my son and daughter, who were 3 and 6 i told them they were getting to big for them. we put them under there pillow at night and had the "binky fairy" come. he left them big kid toys and they did really good.  

Ice-Angel
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 4:46 PM

I simply had my daughter throw them away.  On her first birthday we made a big deal out of her being a big girl, and told her only baby's have binki's and bottles.  I gave her all of the bottles and binki's in the house and told her to throw them away.  You never could find her without a binki in her mouth she was soooo attached.  That night she asked for it and I reminded her that she herself threw them away and that was that.  She didn't cry or fight me.  She knew they were all gone since she did it herself.

Jssg86
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 4:49 PM

this is how we got rid of my sons paci.

We were at the store and some lady came up to my son and took his paci out of his mouth and said you no longer need this and that I am going to take it and well she did.  I was ticked off at first, I had not a clue who this lady was.  Well, she did give us the paci back but not when my son couldn't see it.  That was about 4-5 weeks ago ever since that day NO MORE PACI.  He was a bear about that paci, we would take it he would go off the deep end.  Thank god for that lady, really thank god.

Jamie, Mommy to:

Sydneysmommy200
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 6:37 PM

It might be really hard for you to get rid of it now because if you are planning on using one with baby 2 then she will get jealous and not understand why he can have one and she cant

noplacelike_ohm
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:16 PM
You know what....I may be in the minority here but who says you have to take it away? It's only used at bedtime so it isn't like your child is running around with it all day long. Let her keep it. There was never a mother who packed her child off to college with a paci, bottle, or package of diapers. She'll grow out of it and if it's comforting....so what? Life sucks enough, why should mom's feel the need to yank away everything that comforts us when we are little. If she needs braces because of it later, eh, so she gets braces or lives with it. It won't be the end of the world and she'll be happy. She is only going to be this young once.
alldolledup2005
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:29 PM
My daughter had no problem getting rid of the binky, but I have heard of some other ways to get rid of them in a fun way. My favorite is that you tie them to balloons and let you child give them to the babies in Heaven who arent born yet. When she wakes up in the middle of the night just explain to her that they are with the angels. It might work. Just be strong and dont cave. I know that you are pregnant and tired, but you have to be strong if you want this to be gone.
JillianMomOf3
by on Jan. 28, 2009 at 7:56 AM

I don't know...gosh it seems like we are always rushing our kids before they're ready...Ideally, yeah, the paci isn't great...but if she's attached to it, why have it be traumatic?  So much change is coming into her life...let her keep it...it's only at nap and bed time, so it's not like it's allll the time that she's really affecting her teeth...I'd let it go...My 20 month LOVES Hers...I just talked to the ped. about it...she didn't seem to have a prob with it.  Ava would have it 24/7 if I allowed...but after nap time, she keeps it in, once she is downstairs and takes it out for a drink, I swoop in and take it away til it's bed time...at bed time, she gathers her blankie, goes into the kitchen and says nigh-night which is what she calls her paci.  Your child will be just fine...!!

PS - the binky Fairy and all those cute ways to get rid of the paci are great, and I intend to use them when Ava's tome comes...but at 16 months, all your baby knows is that her 'soothie' is gone...I'd wait a while, and don't feel bad about it!!

best wishes to you!

Jillian

my3kidsandme1
by on Jan. 28, 2009 at 9:18 AM

I agree with the other moms who say let her keep it for now.  I also have a 18 month old, she is my third child, who has a paci. I have just now gotten her to the point where she does not have it all day, only at nap and bedtime, or during a breakdown.  I'm a single mom, and sometime a paci is a wonderful thing when you desperately need a little quiet time!  If she hasn't gotten rid of it by the time she is 2.5 to 3, I feel that she will at least be old enough to understand what is going on when we do say goodbye to it.  I really like some of the creative ideas that were shared, and I think I'll try them when I feel it is time for us to let our paci go.  I really don't think that now is the right time for your little one especially because there is a new baby coming into her world.  She won't understand why she doesn't have hers and she will only fight you for her siblings - then you will have to worry about sick germs.  Give it time, let things fall into a smooth routine after the new baby arrives and then rethink the issue.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)