• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help .. my son hasn't pooped in over 24 hours(piog)

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 4:09 AM
  • 11 Replies
  • 467 Total Views

It's 4:06 in the morning and my son hasn't pooped since midnight the night before. He spent all day yesterday fussing and crying. He was in a lot of pain. He tried to, he just couldn't. I was wondering if there is anything I can do or give him to help him poop? Thanks(BTW, he is 3 months old)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 4:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KittyD
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 4:12 AM

you can stick your finger up his bum and see if that helps or you can buy some little sticks made out of something i forgot that you stick in their bum. they melt and come out by themselves...that also helps...

KittyD ~ Stop by my page & sign my Guestbook!

lujenem3
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 4:17 AM

I was going to tell you to try dark Karo syrup if he is bottle fed, but I had to look up the amount. Looks like 1 teaspoon at each feeding until he starts pooping, but they also mentioned grape, apple & prune juice, if he is taking juices. And 24 hours is NOT all that long, except for the fact that he appears to be uncomfortable. Wishing you good luck!!

lujenem3

AMZF812
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 4:20 AM

Yeah, I wouldn't be too concerned if it wasn't for the fact that he seems to be in pain. He will grunt and push. His face will get all red and he will just start crying. And he usually has 3-6 poopy diapers a day.

Quoting lujenem3:

I was going to tell you to try dark Karo syrup if he is bottle fed, but I had to look up the amount. Looks like 1 teaspoon at each feeding until he starts pooping, but they also mentioned grape, apple & prune juice, if he is taking juices. And 24 hours is NOT all that long, except for the fact that he appears to be uncomfortable. Wishing you good luck!!

karisma91331
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 4:58 AM

they say no to give baby dark Karo syrups my son still gets like that he is 18 mnths. u should try prune juice apple juice add water  

westocean2
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 6:05 AM

Also try massaging his belly.  It's all person preferance what you do.  But I used the Karo syrup before to.  They tell you not to feed your child solids until they are 6 months old but honestly you go on a liquid diet for that long and see how often you are cranky and want to eat.  But you do with your child what you want to do. :)  I hope he feels better since he is fussy. I use to baby sit a boy who had a hard time pooping and I had to massage his belly to help him get it out.  I felt so bad for him because I know it was uncomfortable for him even when I did it but whenever I did it he would finally poop and would feel so much better.  Good Luck.

3greatkids751
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 6:51 AM

Yah I wouldn't do the whole Kayro Syrup thing.. they say NOT to give it to little ones now (not sure why) cause they used to say give it to my daughter when she was like that at that age. I'm STILL battling constipation with my girls and they are 7 and 5 I have taken them to the doc and everything and they cant seem to find out why they are like that. Anyways I would most likely make him an appt to be seen by his doc. He obviously seems VERY uncomfortable and you don't want him to get hemroids or anything from all the straining, reason I would take him in is because of  his age. I don't really wanna recommend any med because he is sooo little still. Now if he was 5 or something like that you could go to the store and get something for it. But with them changing the Med all the time for little ones its just so hard to tell what to give them. The suppository's they have in the store are for ages: 2-5. But I know your doc will give him something for it, cause they used to my kids when they were that little. Is he bottle fed or breastfed? If he's bottle fed and you KEEP having problems with constipation you might need to switch to a LOW IRON formula, the Iron in it is sometimes hard on there little digestive tracts, that's what the doc did for my now 5 yr old when she was that age! Good Luck and message me if you have anything else to ask!!! =)

I am a mother of 3, trying to conceive #4, Public School sending, Vaccinating, Healthy food feeding, junk food (sometimes), spanking when needed, optimistic, loving, young mother, military wife, Christan girl, who does the best for her kids!

jeswill
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 7:00 AM

it is normal for a 3 month old to not poop daily if it goes on to 3 days than call the Ped cause they can tell you to give him Apple juice or even a suppository to help

But if you are really want him to poop and it honestly looks like it is bothering him than place him in a warm bath and let him sit there or take his temp... But again it is normal for them not to poop daily

I'm a 25 year old, married to the love of my life, school going, pro-choice, pro-immunization, formula feeding, disposable diapering, cuddling & spoiling, tattooed, who is myspace going, facebook looking, obsessed with cafemom, mommy to Cadence 10/3/2008.  Love me or hate me I'm me so get over it!

AMZF812
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 7:15 AM

well, like i said before, up until the night before last, he was having 3-6 poopy diapers a day. and his doctor told me at his 2 month visit that a baby his age shouldn't be going a day or two without pooping.(my step sister has a baby born a month before mine and he will go 3-4 days without pooping and the doc said thats not normal or healthy.) i know every doctor is different and i wouldn't be concerned, but i know its uncomfortable for him.

i'll try the warm bath. thanks.

Quoting jeswill:

it is normal for a 3 month old to not poop daily if it goes on to 3 days than call the Ped cause they can tell you to give him Apple juice or even a suppository to help

But if you are really want him to poop and it honestly looks like it is bothering him than place him in a warm bath and let him sit there or take his temp... But again it is normal for them not to poop daily

Angelique2230
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:16 AM

Might want to call his PED but  that happened to my little man and the DR said ad a little brown sugar to his bottle and it sure did help!  Also, what formula is he on just call the DR :)

ANTHONY JACOB!  MY BABY BOY! MAY 16th 2008

Angelique2230
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 11:18 AM

No it's  4 months! :)

ANTHONY JACOB!  MY BABY BOY! MAY 16th 2008

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)