Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddler leash..... good idea or not??

Posted by on May. 8, 2009 at 11:44 AM
  • 36 Replies
  • 710 Total Views

My MIL has a toddler leash that she uses for my son when they go for a walk.... I'm not sure what my opinion of it is. I know it can be a good idea, especially for a child with TONS of energy who loves to run around, but I can't help think it looks like a leash for a dog!  I know its better to have one, then end up with a dead child though.... What's your opinion of it? Do you have one? Would you use it for your child? I could really use some advice!

by on May. 8, 2009 at 11:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on May. 8, 2009 at 11:49 AM

I am taking my son to a theme park this year and I am getting one for him because he like to just go go go! the minute you set him down he darts so I am getting one for my sanity and so he doesn't have to be buckled into a stroller the whole time! BTW you could maybe get your kid a backpack one I want the monkey one it has a little backpack and the tail is what you hold onto!

by on May. 8, 2009 at 11:51 AM

I think that there are a lot of factors here to consider first.  And should a parent or caregiver use a child leash really depends on individual circumstances.  Is the child extremely energetic and active and or has a tendency to wander away?  If so then my answer is yes.  If the child is fairly passive and doesn"t wander  away, then no I don't think the leash is necessary.  And what of the caregivers situation?  if the caregiver is disabled or elderly, then yes I think a leash for the child is a good idea.  Also if the child and caregiver are in a crowded area, then I also think a child leash is a good idea. Hope this helps.

by on May. 8, 2009 at 12:01 PM

We use them on occasion.  We have 2 1/2 y/o twins and a 2 month old baby.  If we are walking around our neighborhood then they don't use them.  If we are at a store or farmers market where there are a lot of people and keeping track of them would be harder then we use them.  We got the cute backpack types.  Our son has the monkey and our daughter has the bear.  Thye love them!  Sometimes they want to wear them backwards so they can hug the animal.  I know some people think they are horrible and demeaning, but I would rather be certain my child isn't going to get lost or kidnapped!

by on May. 9, 2009 at 8:53 AM

If your son has a tendency to run off I think it is a very good idea for your MIL to use. Our parents are older and don't have the reflexes we do and are not as quick, so she might not be able to catch to your son quick enough. My mother used one on me when I was little because I ran off all of the time. And we were going to get one for my daughter but she never really ran off from anyone. I don't think they are cruel at all anything that keeps your kids safer is a good thing, so let her keep using it. 

by on May. 9, 2009 at 8:58 AM's on the child's wrist not around the neck, therefore it is not dangerous.  I think they are a good idea to keep a child safe.  I used one when my son was younger when we went to Disneyworld and things like that to make sure he didn't get lost.  I don't see anything wrong with them, when used correctly. 

by on May. 9, 2009 at 9:08 AM

i think i would use one if i was in a busy place, an amusement park... ect... but if i was just walking around my neighborhood or the stores that i go to i would not use one. but then again i might change my mind when my little guy really starts walking. he is only taking a couple steps right now

by on May. 10, 2009 at 8:05 PM

I feel like if you have to put a child on a leash, then you just can't control them. I can understand them for going places like theme parks, zoos, fairs even. Where you have a very large group of people. Anything can happen in the blink of an eye but I don't see the necessity for going to the park or the grocery store. Teach your children to listen, to not run off. I feel for every day use, they just create laziness.

by on May. 10, 2009 at 8:15 PM

I think its okay for crowded busy places such as amusement parks and such. I had to use one with my 2 1/2 year old when we were in the airport. I was traveling with all of the kids by myself and my youngest who was 1 at the time was in the stroller. I had a double stroller but really didn't feel like manuvering that thing around the airport, so I just grabbed the umbrella stroller and had one of the backpack leashes for my middle child. She loved it too because it had a monkey on it, lol.  Other than that I don't use it. My daughter has a lot of energy, but I teach her when we go for walks or to the store how to stand next to me and not run off and she's getting a lot better.

by on May. 10, 2009 at 8:21 PM

Oh this has always been a pet peeve of mine..mostly because I see obese mothers using them rather tahn to keep up with thier child,my though ig you took them off the leash and actually had to move a bit faster maybe you wouldnt be soo obese lol.Well Im just being honest!!

However Im going to disney world this september,I will have a 3 year old and a 13 month old BY MY SELF (my dh has meetings,which is why we are going) soooo this 125lb mama is leashing her toddler!LOL well I think Im still really debating it.

by on May. 10, 2009 at 9:37 PM

I did not choose to have twins, but am forever I glad I did! - and two 2 1/2 years olds with their own language can run off pretty quick.  Just because I got blessed with twins and can't run in two different directions after them both at the same time doesn't mean I shouldn't have kids!

Quoting sweetness360:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)