Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How Young is too Young?

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 12:14 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 210 Total Views

I have a 10 month old daughter and I am wanting her to be a gymnast, how young is too young to start training with her or to take her to training. How young is too young for boys? I want my son to play football or he could be a gymnast too whichever he chooses but because his sister does it my guess is that he will want too as well, so how young is too young to get them started. My son will be 3 in December. I want them to have the experiences that I didnt have. It will teach them discipline and how to handle things, and i think it would be a good thing for them. Any advice is great.

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 12:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
canthaveboys1
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 12:17 PM

There is a gym my older kids go to they have a group called the "diaper dynamos" and they are 2 and 3 year olds, its so cute and hilarious to watch them! 

Princessofscots
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 12:20 PM

They offer programs for toddlers a lot of places.

But I urge you to allow your children to decide what they want to try....not what you think they should do.

Dance13
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 12:27 PM

I was in Gymnastics when I was 4. I want to say Tumbling is for ages 3 -6 and then as they get older they go up to different levels. and I was 6 when i went into soccer. My cousins were like 4 when they started soccer though. I don't know about football though. You would just have to try to find little league teams and see how old they have to be before they can join.

You should see if you have a Little Gym around where you live. I think they can go there starting when they can walk they do tumbling or like obstical courses. They have a lot of stuff there you should look it up and see if you have one in your area.

ETA: I was wrong they have classes for 4month old to 3 year olds and that is their parent child class. they do Karate, Gymnastics, Sport Skill development, Dance, and Cheer

The website is www.thelittlegym.com

Dspahni
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:14 PM

When my children are old enough to decide then they will have the choice, but as long as I set a good example and let them try things then they wont be afraid of trying things. I never had anyone pushing me to try anything. My parents actually kept me from doing things because it would take their time and their time was apparently more important then their kids, which is fine but I want to be able to give my kids the opportunity, not only that I would rather mine be doing something productive then have them sitting at home on the couch watching tv and playing video games, thats what leads to obesity and health problems. I would rather my children stay active. it leads to alot healthier life.

Thanks

laurag8707
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:46 PM

My son is three and I am doing the gymnastics with him coming up really I think gymnastics are great I did them as a child. Not only does it help improve flexibility, makes their muscles stronger, and everything plus it teaches them interaction with other children when it comes to activities. Two is a perfect age to get him started in the gymnastics and if he doesn't like it when he is older then just pull him. He is to little right now to really tell you what he wants and does not want to do anyways, because the only thing he will grasp is he getting to play run around and have fun with other children. Go for it Hun! 

ashleywilkerson
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:49 PM

iv hurd of places taking kids as young as one

NavyWifey122305
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:52 PM

some gymnastics places will start at infant or toddler ages with " tumble time" all depends on the company so you will have to go to your local place and find out.

papaya_mama
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:52 PM

My DD is 3 and I plan to sign her up for dance lessons - I think 2 or 3 is a good age to start signing them up for activities...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)