Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Economy

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 12:40 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 297 Total Views

How's the economy affecting your husband's job?  There has been alot of layoffs at my husband's place of employment, but luckily he's been busy and not been laid off.  I wish you mommies the best!

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 12:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
TJFBGMommy
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 12:54 PM

My dh's job laid off 12 guys last I heard.  He volunteered to take an extra 3 weeks off in hopes that no one else would get laid off.  They do this around every Christmas though, it's more BP's and CH2MHill's top guys take the whole month of December off so the people below them and the people below those people and so on end up with nothing to do.  Instead of laying off the people who really have nothing to do, they lay off the guys who actually work for a living.  This happens every December, but at least they start rehiring again around mid-January, so the lay-off's don't last too long.

tammie
bmom to Sky 14
slope wife to Jeramy for 12 years and counting
bed sharing, baby wearing, full-term breastfeeding, alternative schooling
mommy to J.J. 9, Fisher 6, Babette 3 and Baby Gesina due sometime in February
Auntie to Sarah 9, David 7, Xochitl 7, Emilia 4, Mairi 3 and Sean 1

Proud to be Union!  IBEW local 1547!

SHAEDON
by New Member on Dec. 16, 2008 at 7:24 AM

I dont know if this is because of the economy or if its just the companies decision but they just decided that they are no longer going to give an incentive pay. That adds up to about $2,000 a month. We cant give that up and still live like we have. Meaning: I have to go back to work and Im scared, mad, hurt and stressed out about that.

hlewis
by New Member on Dec. 18, 2008 at 11:44 AM

Hang in there ladies.....I know times are hard.  Not sure why they do stuff like that around Christmas time.  I get so mad cause our men are the key to the company and don't get the respect they deserve while the big shots make the millions.  don't get me started lol

cynsanches
by New Member on Jan. 3, 2009 at 11:59 AM

Since oil is down to like $40 a barrel or lower, places around here have been stacking rigs like crazy. Johnny works for a workover company and they haven't fired anyone or laid anyone off but there aren't a lot of jobs to be done..thankfully we are guaranteed a paycheck even if he doesn't work 1 hour a week.

hlewis
by New Member on Jan. 14, 2009 at 11:37 AM

Mine works on a workover rig too.  Things have picked up....

Sunfires
by New Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 6:41 PM

hubby's hours got cut right at Christmas time and still have not been restored.   I am going through training next week for my new job but I cannot support our family on my job alone.  I am getting pretty nervous that they are going to start laying people off.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)