Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Rice Milk

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 5:17 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 189 Total Views

i have thought for months now that my son was sensitive to milk... well... i really am convinced of it today. the problem is; what do i give a 14 mo old in replacement of milk?! i know that he needs calcium; so we have started to give him vitamins (for kids); but what about the other stuff? has anyone got any opinions on Rice milk? we thought about soy milk; but since horridly painfull gas is one of the symptoms; i dont think that soy is the way to go. we tried rice milk today in his bottle (no judging, plz) and he drank it fine.

just curious.

thx; Steph

:~If you have a disagree with something that i say, please feel free to PM me about it. I would love to know if anything i am doing / saying is incorrect! :) ~
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 5:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
cheekycherub
by on Dec. 16, 2008 at 7:57 AM

Have you tried almond milk? What about juice that has added calcium in it? I remember reading that the reason they suggest giving babies up to 2 whole milk is for the 'fat'. Perhaps a supplement for that, I believe it is either DHA or DHEA....I'm not positive.....you could google it.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

HelenGartner
by on Dec. 16, 2008 at 1:03 PM

it is the calcium as well as the fats that are important with babies, its not just for their bones but ulso their brain dovelopment, i would definently talk to your ped as well and see what they recommend. thy mey have you try and replace theh fats with other healthy fats like avacado or somthing.  just to toss this out there my son Rarely drinks cows milk. i still nurse him a few times a day, but its mainly for comfort at this point (he is 18 months) instead of food fat/calorie concerns. he turns his nose up at cows milk for the most part.

adopt4
by Member on Dec. 16, 2008 at 2:27 PM

Almost any kind of "milk" you can find one with additives to have as much calcium as milk, with extra vitamins, etc.  My suggestion - try different things.  Also, there's cheese and yogurt to replace the actual milk itself.  But he may be sensitive to all dairy.

Trial and error, see if he has reactions to anything, see if his symptoms get better.  It's not going to hurt him to try something for a day or two, he's not going to have severe side effects from "not enough calcium and vitamins".

I may not be able to change the world, but I can change the world for one child.  http://www.iloveadoption.blogspot.com

mommyofdaryl
by New Member on Jan. 6, 2009 at 5:55 PM

i'm not a fan of cows milk in general, you can try goats milk it's closer to human milk than cows, rice milk is a cheap alternative, they also make oat, almond and hemp milk that are pretty tastey, calcium can be replaced by eating other high calcium foods like beans, nuts broccoli is a good one, cabbage, turnup greens

Ellysmom
by New Member on Jan. 7, 2009 at 7:39 PM

I gave my daughter rice milk and she loved it. The doctor suggested it since she  never drank cow's milk. His only suggestion was to get a fortified brand so she could get the vitamins that she needs. He wasn't concerned about her not drinking cow's milk since most rice/soy milks have calcium in it and many foods have calcium as well. Ask your pediatrician but rice milk was definitely recommended to me.

pregnancy
Taijimum
by on Feb. 16, 2009 at 10:16 PM

Hemp milk has omegas and good fats....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)