Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Vitamin D3

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 6:30 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 231 Total Views

I have not posted in awhile because we had a severe cash flow crunch in our business and I had to use up all my food storage!  Now, we are at least back to having what we need for usual meals.  Last week, I purchased a whole bunch of basics, coffee, sugar, flour, etc.  I was just too depressed to talk about food storage when I couldn't do it!

Anyway, I see back in August there was a discussion about stocking up for the winter.  Some people mentioned Vitamin D3.  That is what I have decided to do too.  I am allergic to eggs so I can't get the flu vaccine, and I don't want my 28 month old to get it at all.  There is a lot of info on the internet, but basically a normal adult should take 5,000 IU's a day and a small child 2,000 IU's a day. 

While I loved the idea of not going out in public if there is a flu break out, I have a feeling I will have already been exposed by the time I learn through the grape vine that the flu is going around.  

by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 6:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Melodee0119
by Group Admin on Nov. 9, 2009 at 9:46 PM

I am not familiar with Vitamin D3 what is it suppose to do?

bodhikt
by Member on Nov. 10, 2009 at 10:39 AM

Quoting Melodee0119:

I am not familiar with Vitamin D3 what is it suppose to do?

Supplements are reccommended for people who can't/don't get enough sun exposure to produce their own Vit D. Vit D is needed for a lot of body processes (including calcium use-- without Vit D, calcium won't become bone and teeth...),

During the winter, especially in "short day" areas, people tend to cover up and/or stay indoors, and so are not getting exposure. Also, people with dark skins need more exposure because their "tan" blocks the sunrays from activating the cells that produce the vit D.

bodhikt
by Member on Nov. 10, 2009 at 7:40 PM

Here's another study:

Summary:
The evidence connecting Vitamin D deficiency with chronic disease continues to mount. Vitamin D deficiency has been linked to osteoporosis, multiple cancers, musculoskeletal diseases, thyroid disease, depression, and Type II diabetes. This is especially troublesome since several studies have...

View the entire entry:
http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/vitamins-supplements-vitamin-d-protects-against-death-from-heart-disease-and-stroke.html

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)