Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Thanksgiving Specials... need input

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:56 AM
  • 16 Replies
  • 472 Total Views

OK... I really want to take advantage of the different stores trying to get my business for Thanksgiving.

What sales should I be looking for?  What items would be good to add towards food storage and what "sale" items would be better to wait on?

I know with the coupons that are flying around right now and a sale price, I can probaby make out pretty good.

Hugs  Amber

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kimmykim
by Group Owner on Nov. 12, 2009 at 12:06 PM

During this time of year I like to stock up on these things:

*Turkeys/hams/roast beef - whatever is on sale.  I don't like to spend more than .40 cents/lb on turkey, .99 cents/lb on ham and about the same on roast beef.  If I can get those things free with "such & such" purchase, then I do that, as long as I can use whatever the other things are and they are a good deal to begin with.

*Cream Cheese - they don't freeze well, but I look for the ones with the longest expiration date.  I like to pay less than $1 for the philly brand.

*Stuffing mix - I don't like stove top, but if Mrs. Cubbison's goes on sale, I stock up!  One year I got boxes of it on sale for .25 cents each and they didn't expire for 4 years!  and these boxes are the size of two stove tops!

*Baking supplies - evaporated milk (.50 cents a can), canned pumpkin ($1/can), chocolate chips ($1/bag), flour ($1.50/5 lbs.), sugars ($1/bag)

*Butter - It freezes well and it usually goes on sale about now, I don't like paying more than $1.25/pound.  Get salted & unsalted

*Potatoes are usually cheap right now.  .99 cents/5 lbs is a good deal.  I don't actually buy them because we get them for free each year.  But you can probably also get good deals on potato flakes right now.

Anyway, these are the things that I usually look for and stock up on.  hope that helps.

Jambo4
by Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 12:15 PM

Thanks.. I jotted down notes.  I know in the past I look for spices since they are rarely on sale and broths and dry Lipton soup mixes.  They can make bad cuts of meat so much better.

Any more ideas? 

Hugs  Amber

monileen
by Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 12:30 PM

Cream of mushroom and cream of chicken soups are on sale right now as well as Crisco cooking oil, sugar, flour and all other baking supplies. (those items may even get cheaper closer to Christmas) but I believe if I remember right, the soups won't go down again around Christmas.

Jambo4
by Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:45 PM

Thanks Mon!
I am currently looking for some of my coupons for cream soups.  I know it's like you have to buy multiples to make the coupon work but since I am, it's not a problem..  I know I just saw a Crisco coupon in my newspaper.

Speaking of multiples.. where you have to buy two to save 1.00, etc.. do you really have to buy two?  I have never tried just buying one.  Will it go through?  Maybe I should post this on Teek's coupon post.

Back to the subject matter... Kim mentioned choc chips.  The Krogers (king soopers) in our area is having Nestle toll house morsels for 99 cents.  I'm sure if I look I can find some coupons!  Either way 99cents are good.  In terms of long storage of chips or choc.. what do you do?  I know freezing is fine, but what is the shelf life or how can I extend the shelf life.  Anybody know? 

Hugs  Amber

ReesesPieces
by Head Admin on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:05 PM

Quoting Jambo4:

Thanks.. I jotted down notes.  I know in the past I look for spices since they are rarely on sale and broths and dry Lipton soup mixes.  They can make bad cuts of meat so much better.

Any more ideas? 

This week Walgreens has their brand of spices on sale 2 for $1.00!  Just use the coupon in the sales ad (page 2).  We use them a lot and they've been just fine.

ReesesPieces
by Head Admin on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:08 PM

Quoting Jambo4:

Thanks Mon!

Speaking of multiples.. where you have to buy two to save 1.00, etc.. do you really have to buy two?  I have never tried just buying one.  Will it go through?  Maybe I should post this on Teek's coupon post.  I have NEVER had a coupon go through that required a certain number and I didn't meet that requirement.  I've always had to buy the number specified on the coupon.  So you can try...but chances are it won't work.  Now if you do a B1G1 deal and you have a coupon for save $1.00 on 2...that should work because you still had 2 products rang up.

Jambo4
by Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:23 PM

oohh never have tried one with a BOGO free offer.. hmm..

and I will check out the spices.  I forget to visit walgreens because they are a big store.

The Kings Soopers (kroger) has Nestle choc chips for 99 cents (I think.. I did a printout from a coupon site and I didn't bother to read up on the codes..lol).  IT says sale price 1.99 final price 99 cents so I'm not sure what's up.. but I just downloaded coupons for 50cents off two bags and this stores doubles coupons so.. I may be looking at 50 cents a bag. (if I figured it right..lol) 

Hugs  Amber

jennyjlj
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:32 PM

We just did running around hitting all the turkey sales. Andres decided to give turkeys to most his employees.  Some fo the thing we grabbed a ton of things for cheap.  These are items we use CONSTANTLY all year so we stock up on them this time of year big time.   We had gotten turkeys for .27, .37, and .29 a pound.  Forty cents a pound at walmart witha  limit of two.  :):)

Stove top-.79 a box walmart

Betty crocker box-.78 a box at walmart

Delmonte veggies - .49  a can ($1/5 and $1/8 coupons floating around)

Jars of gravy .75 a jar at walmart

Safeway- .88 a 2 ltr at safeway (not really food storage but an awesome treat)

Also walmart had campbells cream soups for .58 i need to go back i had left those coupons at home.  

Jambo4
by Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:38 PM

Su-weet Jen.. thanks for the info... I think I have coupons already for the Betty Crocker. =) 

Hugs  Amber

smalltowngal
by Head Admin on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:46 PM

I got Gold Medal  unbleached flour for $1.50 at Wal-mart.The also had bread flour, regular flour and self rising for $1.50.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)