Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

keeping kids out of emergency stuff and how much do I really need to keep in the car?

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 6:42 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 324 Total Views

So, it's a new year, I have had things in the car in the past, and purchased stuff to go into the car, but the kids ate everything!  GRRR. So I went out and got more.  I know I need water, I have about a half case of individual bottles, but how do I keep it from freezing in the winter? I got some melamine bowls and huge mugs, silverware, hot cocoa, soups, granola bars, and even candy.  My questions are these:

If this is just for an emergency while on the road and not a "bug out" situation, and I have 72 hour bags ready to go with other food packed, what else do I need to consider putting into the emergency kit in the car? and MOST IMPORTANTLY, HOW DO I KEEP THE KIDS OUT OF THE STUFF AND KEEP THEM FROM EATING IT SO I HAVE IT IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY? 

I got a very small first aid kit, and will add a few things to it, hoping not to be needing it.  I have jumper cables and I think flares, blankets, can always add more. wondering about a shovel (small folding one?) I have ice scrapers, and a can of de-icer for the windows, thinking of extra gloves, scarves and hats, but gee with all the regular "stuff" that collects in the car, this can end up being a lot to carry around. 

I also have a car pot which will heat 2 cups of water in 15 min and I am considering a second one. I do have an emergency radio but not sure I want to keep it in the car.  I would like to get a good sturdy flashlight too.  I am also considering an extra glucometer for my diabetes but not sure about the heat/cold issues with that either.

Any thoughts?

Thanks ladies

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 6:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MysTeri67
by Member on Jan. 4, 2010 at 8:41 AM

As to the first part if you have food in your 72 hour kits and they are easily accesable to bug out I would only have enough food to keep you going if you got stuck in a broke down car.

As for the second, I have NO CLUE!  I have to get my cars re-kitted out because I gave up on it.  My husband was in the Air Force(now retired)so I would try to keep MREs in the car.  My kids always broke into them.  So very frustrating!  Maybe grounding your kids or something will work better for you than it did for me?  I recently found out which kid was the ringleader but as she is 22 and married as well as leaving for Italy the statute of limitations has expired.

emslala
by Member on Jan. 4, 2010 at 9:00 AM

Keeping it from freezing in the winter, I have no idea. Living in Texas, that's not something I have to think about but maybe 5 days a year LOL!!
Melting, well... that's a different story  ;)

What about buying a large suitcase from Goodwill or Craigslist & putting the food in there? You can put one of those mini-padlocks on it & keep the key on your car key ring. 

sassymomntx1961
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2010 at 11:24 AM

I agree w. E lol TX you dont have to worry to much about frezzing just melting. If your just around your home I say 50 mi or less get a smallcontainer maybe tha can fit onder your seat and put crackers,granola bars,beef jerky things like that incase you break down and have to wait a lil while till some body can come get you. I agree also about blankets,gloves,hats,socks and mabe a hoodie to go under your coats if itscold while your broke down. I wouldnt put alot of food in the car unless your taking a long trip and have it in the garage to grab when your packing up the car. I would have the emergency radio flash lights and things l;ike that in a separate bag or small box nest to the food for when you take long trips. I would make sure you have a phone charger in your car and a flash light at all times though and depending on the kids ages hide a book for coloring or reading that they dont know about incase you were to break down close or far from home to keep the peace. Now that has me thinhking lol about my 8 yr old because she is adhd,odd,severe emotional disorder and possible in the autism spectrum.

GOD first ppl next things last you cant go wrong and w/ GOD and JESUS around you,you will be a a triple strand rope

HBP1236
by Member on Jan. 6, 2010 at 2:56 AM

Grounding her kids won't work.

Melting is what you need to think about.  I know that you can take a roll of toilet paper, put it in a #10 can, and pour some rubbing alcohol on it.  Light a match to it.  put a heavy duty cookie cooling rack on top with a small pot with some ice in it.  that should be enough to melt.  Make sure if you are in your car, that you have a vented window and something heat proof to put the can on, it will get SUPER hot.

asil
by Member on Jan. 6, 2010 at 3:10 AM

well, it sucks, but i live in WI and we worry about freezing water as well.  not only will it do NO good, but makes a mess as well.  i have a small insulated lunch bag that i keep two bottles of water in at all times.  when i get out of the car, it does as well.  when i get in the car, it comes with too.  this way i have TWO bottles of water that arent frozen.  i still have 4-6 bottles in the trunk, i open them and take out some of the water, to allow for expansion, and put them into ziplock bags.  however.... i have all my "emergency stuff" packed ina cooler, figured it was safe keeping in there... and it won't freeze as fast either, being in the cooler.

in our cooler is also :

2 adult sweat pants and shirts

2 kids sweat pants and shirts

5 pairs dry socks

first aid kit

hats and mittens for everyone

5 blankets

1 pair winter boots

box of gallon zip locks (if nothing else i can put ziplocks on and walk in my tennie's to get help, keeps your feet dry...)

snacks

water

etc....

i found the most useful thing was to just buy whatever cheap sweatsuits you can, in a generic size... we buy hats/mittens/gloves at year end clearance and trade out for old ones... and any time we have a blanket that is getting "old" we trade it out for one in the car...

PROUD OWNER OF...
baby/toddler coupons and more!... Printable links, hints and tips, and much much more! http://www.cafemom.com/group/30682 

gmums... a group for moms who use gdiapers. A fun and healthy way to use flushable diapers! http://www.cafemom.com/group/2625

ddh developmental dysplasia of the hip... a group for moms who have a child who has or has had ddh. http://www.cafemom.com/group/33384

moms against cow's milk... a group for moms who choose, or have to remove cow's milk from their diet, or their child's.  benefits, alternatives, and comments!  http://www.cafemom.com/group/103768/  

jwaren
by on Jan. 8, 2010 at 1:48 PM

There is a blog that focuses on Food Storage. In a few weeks, they are going to be starting their car emergency kits. I know they were working on them a while ago and I thought they were really good and very thorough, but not super big. They put them in a small 18"x18" container last time I think.

For your situation Dianne, since you have diabetes, I would recommend a money lock box to put in your car under the passenger seat. The one here was $15.00 and had a dial or a key. Basically, you need things you would need for 24 hours in case your car died or the roads closed. A few protein type bars, insulin if you need it, and maybe some hard candies. You don't need much more than that. You could include jerky, and crackers, but start out slowly.Also, you might want to consider locking in $100 in case of tow, or other true emergengy. You can also keep water bottles in the trunk. Your car stove would melt that water quickly, so I really wouldn't worry about it freezing

In winter, this is what I would have in my car: A small thing of kitty litter to pour under the tires in case you get stuck. Old Blankets, Towels of different sizes, gloves (knit and waterproof if possible), Plastic Grocery Bags (ziplocs won't fit on my feet, but these will help.), and a good flashlight with an extra set of batteries.

Normally, I would keep a couple of blankets, water, first aid kit with a mask for CPR, Gauze, and Laytex gloves, Jumper cables and, in your case, some quick sugar for when your blood sugar drops, and defiantely ALWAY keep a meter with you. I would keep it in your purse at all times.

brookelas
by on Jan. 9, 2010 at 11:54 PM

Don't forget a small bag of kitty litter in case you slide off the road and can't get traction again. (For winter.)

If it's that much of an issue, put it all in a cooler or lightweight strongbox that has a padlock on it.

Dianne1259
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2010 at 11:32 AM

Thanks for all the wonderful tips ladies, I will work on implementing them over the next few weeks.  I appreciate all your wisdom, and yes, I should always keep an extra meter in my purse, and I always try to keep a spare in my backpack for school, they are inexpensive so that is an easy thing to do.  Definitely going to get a lockbox for the car, and some of the other wonderful ideas too. 

You are wonderful!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)