• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fallen off of the bandwagon

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:29 PM
  • 16 Replies
  • 408 Total Views

So, I haven't been very good at my food storage lately.  In fact, we've almost eaten through all of our pantry items.  I usually like to keep at least a 3 month supply of canned/everyday type foods on my shelf.  But, with being pregnant and then now having a month old baby, we've eaten through almost all of it.  So...  I need to get BACK on the bandwagon!  I'm going to set myself a food storage goal.  Feel free to add any goals you might have too.

Goal for the month of October~

Get any items at the caselot sale at Broulim's (local store)

Need to for sure get:

flour

sugar

brown sugar

cream of chicken soup

chili

tomato sauce

pasta

pasta sauce

diced tomatoes

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
teekaroo
by Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:34 PM

We are now living off of our year storage while hubby goes to school.  I'm finding I'm missing things like powdered sugar, brown sugar, choc. chips and koolaid.  Things that aren't vital, but make life better.  So, when we get a little money, that's what I'll be up to.

moneysaver6
by Member on Sep. 29, 2010 at 5:07 AM

Do you have regular sugar?  If you do, you can make your own powdered sugar.  Just put the sugar in a blender or food processor.  The end result will be powdered sugar. 

This way, you can ALWAYS have powdered sugar...without having to store a separate item! (Plus it's much cheaper this way.)

Amy

Quoting teekaroo:

We are now living off of our year storage while hubby goes to school.  I'm finding I'm missing things like powdered sugar, brown sugar, choc. chips and koolaid.  Things that aren't vital, but make life better.  So, when we get a little money, that's what I'll be up to.

luvmysoldier1
by Bronze Member on Sep. 29, 2010 at 10:35 AM

Me too. We are moving in early March. We are eating a lot of what we have. I should continue to stock up on tp and other paper producst at least. My bad. slap

teekaroo
by Member on Sep. 29, 2010 at 11:06 AM

Quoting moneysaver6:

Do you have regular sugar?  If you do, you can make your own powdered sugar.  Just put the sugar in a blender or food processor.  The end result will be powdered sugar. 

This way, you can ALWAYS have powdered sugar...without having to store a separate item! (Plus it's much cheaper this way.)

Amy

Quoting teekaroo:

I didn't even think of that, thanks!

kimmykim
by Group Owner on Sep. 29, 2010 at 11:46 AM

Quoting teekaroo:

Quoting moneysaver6:

Amy

Quoting teekaroo:

I never knew this!  Thanks for the info!  You can also make brown sugar with white sugar & molasses.

sassymomntx1961
by Bronze Member on Sep. 29, 2010 at 1:38 PM
Welcome back Kim.I didnt know about the sugar tricks either lol.I need to make a cheat sheet of things like that lol.
moneysaver6
by Member on Sep. 29, 2010 at 9:03 PM

No problem!

Quoting teekaroo:

Quoting moneysaver6:

Amy

Quoting teekaroo:

I'm finding I'm missing things like powdered sugar,

moneysaver6
by Member on Sep. 29, 2010 at 9:15 PM

No problem! 

I didn't mention the brown sugar figuring that most people don't regularly have molassis in their homes.

If you want to make brown sugar out of "regular" sugar & molasses, you mix 1 cup of sugar with 1-2 tbs of molasses; depending on how dark you want your brown sugar to be.

Amy

Quoting kimmykim:

I never knew this!  Thanks for the info!  You can also make brown sugar with white sugar & molasses.

Quoting moneysaver6:

Amy

Quoting teekaroo:I'm finding I'm missing things like powdered sugar, brown sugar,

moneysaver6
by Member on Sep. 29, 2010 at 9:16 PM

I have a lot of homemade products listed on my blog.  Check the "homemade products" tab.

Amy

Quoting sassymomntx1961:

Welcome back Kim.I didnt know about the sugar tricks either lol.I need to make a cheat sheet of things like that lol.

Whatkids
by Member on Sep. 29, 2010 at 10:53 PM

Ok, I am gone for a few months and this is what I come back to?? KIM, what happened to the use one buy two rule?? You have a great excuse in having a baby, but I fully expect you to get your tushy in gear! J/k. I have been gung ho lately on the food storage. I really feel it has helped us dramatically throughout the year.
Just START, anywhere. :)

HUGS, congrats on the babe. What a wonderful gift.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)