Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

oops we skipped a konth:)

I have a challenge i want you to make a guess as to how much food you have and ow long it will last with out counting:) just so you verbilize where you are. Then if you have time actually inventory everythin to find out where you are
by on Jul. 31, 2011 at 10:16 AM
Replies (11-11):
moneysaver6
by Member on Aug. 22, 2011 at 1:02 AM

Our people and furry family members could EAT for a 9 months to 1 year.  However, we could only eat as we currently eat for 1 month and well but with some things missing for 3 months.  By the end of September, we should be back in a position where we can eat as we currently eat for 3 months and well but some things missing for 6.  We lived off of our stockpile for a couple months earlier this year so our numbers aren't where they usually are..

Also, we only have enough animal food for 3 months...but have recipes for feeding them people food after that and have stocked our people food accordingly.  We did this because dog food specificially is higher fat & therefore doesn't store as well long-term.  We also add some people food to their diet now, though, so it won't be a complete shock.  (They get sweet potato or pumpkin, rice, and yogurt daily as a part of their diet.)  And of course, the occasional stolen burgers when my husband grills... :-)

ETA:  I forgot that we just got 1/4 of a cow.  That's not included in the numbers above.  We don't eat a ton of meat so that will last us about 3 months.  I will be canning some of that so we'll have longer-term reserves of that as well besides just the freezer. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)