Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A question about milk

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 6:05 PM
  • 14 Replies
  • 432 Total Views

What kind do you store? I don't drink milk at all, but my family does. I've tried storing regular powdered milk (YUK!) but we never used it before it went bad. It's not really cheap, either. What is the best brand you've tried? What kind of container does it come in? Does it taste good? How long does it last? I would definitely use it for cooking and my kids might like to have chocolate milk for comfort in an emergency.

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 6:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
teekaroo
by Member on Sep. 15, 2011 at 1:49 AM

Morning moo tastes pretty good and I should actually break my big bucket open, but I have so much of the nasty stuff to use up, I just haven't let myself yet.  When I remember, I try to mix up some of the dry and mix it into the fresh milk when it's getting about half empty.  That way, we're stretching our budget and using the nasty stuff.  Nobody has noticed yet.  :)

Melodee0119
by Group Admin on Sep. 15, 2011 at 11:18 AM
I use a milk....nt sure what it is but it is vanilla milk and i can even stand drinking it. I use the gross stuff for baking:) i also store a shelf stable milk i get from a dairy. I keep flavored milk and regular milk and we drink thr flavored stuff on a daily basis so it gets rotated pretty good.
TXmomof5cubs
by Member on Sep. 15, 2011 at 11:23 AM

Quoting Melodee0119:

I use a milk....nt sure what it is but it is vanilla milk and i can even stand drinking it. I use the gross stuff for baking:) i also store a shelf stable milk i get from a dairy. I keep flavored milk and regular milk and we drink thr flavored stuff on a daily basis so it gets rotated pretty good.

Can you get dry flavored milk or is is a shelf stable liquid?

TXmomof5cubs
by Member on Sep. 15, 2011 at 11:25 AM

Quoting teekaroo:

Morning moo tastes pretty good and I should actually break my big bucket open, but I have so much of the nasty stuff to use up, I just haven't let myself yet.  When I remember, I try to mix up some of the dry and mix it into the fresh milk when it's getting about half empty.  That way, we're stretching our budget and using the nasty stuff.  Nobody has noticed yet.  :)

I just found a great website that suggested Morning Moo. I'll have to look into it. They claim it tastes better because there is fat in it.

klbluejays4
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 11:29 AM

I get the parlament milk from the dollar tree and it is really good and my children like it.

Melodee0119
by Group Admin on Sep. 15, 2011 at 10:37 PM
Its a shelf stable liquid milk. No powder. It is gossner farms/ dairy and i ampretty sure you can order it online but i am sure it is more expensive. I just drive to logan ut and buy it. My best friend owns a dairy and supplies them with milk so it is my way of supporting her
LavenderChic
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 10:45 PM

The guy that works at the warehouse here told us that he puts a little pit of olive oil in his milk and it makes it just right.  He is right, it made it much better but you have to shake it well each time you use it.

kimmykim
by Group Owner on Sep. 19, 2011 at 4:12 PM

The shelf reliance Thrive instant milk is really good.  It's really expensive though, but it tastes like fresh milk.

Melodee0119
by Group Admin on Sep. 21, 2011 at 11:30 PM
I just wanted to add there are three kinds of powdered milk non instant( cannery), instant, and milk alternative. Morning moos is a ilk alternatve and is great or drinking but shouldnt be used in a lot of reipes. It also has a lot of extra stuff in it besides milk. Non instant you have to mix in hot water then can e chilled. In baking ou can just mix powder with dry ingredients and water with wet. Non instant you can mix with cold water butyou also need twice as much powder for the same amount of milk. So you have to consider what ou want to use it for
kimmykim
by Group Owner on Sep. 22, 2011 at 9:55 AM

I had to break out a can of morning moo yesterday because we ran out of milk and won't be getting more until Friday.  It's actually pretty good.  You can tell that it's not fresh milk, but it doesn't taste awful. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)