Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

just getting started need advice :)

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 7:19 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 297 Total Views
I am in need of some advice on what to get for a few different kits. First the 72hour kit. I want to make one for my family my dh & I have 2 boys ages 3&4. What goes in these kits? Is there a list I can print out?
3mo supply. What are the best things to get? My pantry has about a month I could stretch it to 6wks. But this is no drinks. Just canned fruits, veggies and side items like pasta sides and stuff.
And the last one is a medical kit. I have been thinking of doing this for awhile. But I don't know what to buy other than basic meds.
Thanks in advance for the help :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 7:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
sassymomntx1961
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2012 at 9:29 AM

I keep meaning to get a 72 hr kit for me and dd.We're in central Tx and tornado season is comin soon.Im sure at least 1 if not 3 changes of clothes would be good.Healthy snacks if possible that dont need to be refridgerated.Maybe a gallon of water w/ the individual packets of koolaid or other drinks.Coloring books and crayons to help pass the time.If you have a portable dvd player have some new movies they havent seen packed away.There might be more I havent thought of and the other ladies can help w/ Im sure.

GOD first ppl next things last you cant go wrong and w/ GOD and JESUS around you,you will be a a triple strand rope

kimmykim
by Group Owner on Feb. 13, 2012 at 11:14 AM

In a 72 hour kit you should have enough food, water, clothing, basic medical supplies such as medicines that you use on a regular basis and a little bit of money.  All for each person in your family. 

A three month supply should be shelf stable things that you use on a regular basis, like canned fruits and veggies, pasta, rice, canned meats, things like that.  Enough for your family to live off of for three months.  Make sure to rotate things out often.  Also, make sure to store two weeks of water for each person in your family.  You can easily do this by purchasing a case of water bottles every time you go to the store.  Just make sure you rotate them out every now and then.

As for a medical supply, keep as much of any prescription drugs your family needs as possible, sometimes pharmacies and doctors will let you get three months at a time, if you can, do this.  Then over the counter medicines like tylenol, advil, cold meds, pepto, antacids, things like that.  I also like to keep some essential oils on hand too.

Elyce225
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Sam's club has boxes of deer park spring water, it's 6 gallons for 5 dollars and some change.  We have 2 1/2 years of water, food, medicines and hygiene products right now.

As for the medicine, humans can take fish antibiotics.  We have a lot (we just ordered 400 dollars more worth yesterday) stocked up of different kinds.  This stuff is like gold.  My husband has thyroid disease so he has three years worth of synthroid stocked up.  We also have left over pain meds etc saved. 5 We have lidocaine (1 and 2%), syringes/needles and tourniquets.

If you have a wood stove (and if not I suggest you look into one because you can cook on them) make sure you have enough wood stocked up.

And as for food, we have a lot canned.  We also buy wheat berries at our local farm, we have a mill that makes them into flour.  We have enough wheat berries (that last forever btw) to be able to make bread and noodles etc for well over 8 years.  We also have a few dutch ovens to be able to cook them in.

JaceeDC
by Member on Feb. 13, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Here's a list for adults: http://www.family-survival-planning.com/72-hour-kit.html

Here's a list for kids: http://www.family-survival-planning.com/bug-out-bag.html

Adapt and adjust for your family.

moneysaver6
by Member on Feb. 13, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Bump!

GoodyBrook
by Member on Feb. 14, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Quoting Elyce225:

Sam's club has boxes of deer park spring water, it's 6 gallons for 5 dollars and some change.  We have 2 1/2 years of water, food, medicines and hygiene products right now.

As for the medicine, humans can take fish antibiotics.  We have a lot (we just ordered 400 dollars more worth yesterday) stocked up of different kinds.  This stuff is like gold.  My husband has thyroid disease so he has three years worth of synthroid stocked up.  We also have left over pain meds etc saved. 5 We have lidocaine (1 and 2%), syringes/needles and tourniquets.

If you have a wood stove (and if not I suggest you look into one because you can cook on them) make sure you have enough wood stocked up.

And as for food, we have a lot canned.  We also buy wheat berries at our local farm, we have a mill that makes them into flour.  We have enough wheat berries (that last forever btw) to be able to make bread and noodles etc for well over 8 years.  We also have a few dutch ovens to be able to cook them in.

When I was a child, our primary medical care was from a Vet, so I find this so interesting!  Do you have a link you can share?  I really want to learn more...  What is the storage life? 

sassymomntx1961
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Quoting JaceeDC:

Here's a list for adults: http://www.family-survival-planning.com/72-hour-kit.html

Here's a list for kids: http://www.family-survival-planning.com/bug-out-bag.html

Adapt and adjust for your family.

I need to make a copy of these lists

GOD first ppl next things last you cant go wrong and w/ GOD and JESUS around you,you will be a a triple strand rope

moneysaver6
by Member on Feb. 14, 2012 at 3:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I posted some general information on antibiotic safety in the Emergency Prep group:  Antibiotic Safety

Quoting GoodyBrook:

When I was a child, our primary medical care was from a Vet, so I find this so interesting!  Do you have a link you can share?  I really want to learn more...  What is the storage life? 

LFosterfarm
by on Feb. 15, 2012 at 8:57 AM

ok new here, but very interested in the fish antibiotics!  more info please.  just looking for a back up to my herbs, ya never know.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)