Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone can Pork?

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:28 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 183 Total Views

I see in a post here that some of your are canning fish, chicken, and beef.  Has anyone ever canned pork? 

It's supposed to be dangerous for some reason, but so is canning butter, and still people do.  So I'd be interested to know if you have or know of anyone who's canned pork.  DH and I love Jimmy Dean Hot Breakfast Sausage, and I'd like to know if I should try to put some up...

by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
sassymomntx1961
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Why is it dangerous to can butter?

GOD first ppl next things last you cant go wrong and w/ GOD and JESUS around you,you will be a a triple strand rope

kimmykim
by Group Owner on Feb. 13, 2012 at 11:32 AM

I personally think a sausage would be too fatty to can.  I have never canned pork before and never heard of it being unsafe either.  I have heard that canning butter is unsafe though, simply because you don't actually can it, you put the butter in and heat it in the oven I believe.  ???

Elyce225
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 3:58 PM

I just canned pulled pork last night.  I wouldn't do sausage because you have to take the skin of it off (if it's the links), and if you do that the sausage would fall apart.  You have to cook pork before you can it so I don't think the sausage would taste good afterwards.

I can butter too, we've been eating it for two years now and none of us ever got sick.

moneysaver6
by Member on Feb. 13, 2012 at 9:41 PM

We don't eat pork (ahem...except bacon...and sausage).  Okay, so we eat pork, but not pork loin. 

We don't can what we do eat, though.

GoodyBrook
by Member on Feb. 14, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Quoting Elyce225:

I just canned pulled pork last night.  I wouldn't do sausage because you have to take the skin of it off (if it's the links), and if you do that the sausage would fall apart.  You have to cook pork before you can it so I don't think the sausage would taste good afterwards.

I can butter too, we've been eating it for two years now and none of us ever got sick.

Good to know!  Thanks.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)