Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Storing Mayonnaise

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 8:59 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 271 Total Views

Does anyone store mayonnaise?

I am trying to think proactively and store things that will not require refrigeration and can be eaten in one meal - but with all the canned chicken and tuna, I know we'd want some mayo with that! Then I remembered how you get little packets at some restaurants, so today I ordered a case of 200 packets of mayo from Amazon. I think this will work! It's a lot of trash waste, but the only way I could think of to store it without needing refrigeration.

by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 8:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Melodee0119
by Group Admin on Aug. 12, 2012 at 10:24 PM
I bought a big pack of those ...don't let them freeze cause ours all went bad..they were for my husband up at work and I believe he left then in his truck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hipmomto3
by Member on Aug. 13, 2012 at 4:13 PM
Thanks for the tip!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Luv_my_hubby
by New Member on Aug. 21, 2012 at 11:08 PM

You can also check a store called United Grocers cash & carry. It's basically a resturant supply store and they have lots of large size items also single use packets of things. Just wanted to throw that out to ya all.

MamaJane
by Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 1:30 PM

That's a great idea!  I have Mayo in jars and it's shelf stable...until you open it.  I often wondered "what happens when you open that 32 oz jar?"

laurag8707
by Member on Aug. 26, 2012 at 2:54 PM

hmm that is a good idea that i never thought about thanks for the tip honey!!

luvmysoldier1
by Bronze Member on Nov. 7, 2012 at 5:56 PM
Great idea!
Dianne1259
by Bronze Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 7:04 AM

I never thought of that as I always have several jars of mayo in the pantry.  This is a great idea.  Thanks!!

toady07
by Member on Nov. 24, 2012 at 7:25 PM

So this brings up a question -- dh just trashed a jar - unopened--that he said expired last month (Oct 2012) how long is mayo good ? unopened and then once you've opened it. 

BTW i love the idea of the packets, I'm wondering now what else you can get in those little packets that wouldnt need refrigeration

hipmomto3
by Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 9:07 PM

You can get little packets of anything - pancake syrup, jams/jellies, ketchup, mustard, salad dressing... Nothing you "need" to survive, but sure would make other things more palatable! 

I'm iffy on using some things past the expiration date even if they weren't opened, but others I'm ok with if I know how/where they were stored (like I'd probably eat that Oct 2012 mayonnaise).  We eat a lot of mayo in our house, so I've never really wondered how long it's good in the fridge. :) Left to her own devices, my five year old would eat a jar of mayonnaise every week.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)