Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Poll: Which doomsday scenario do you think is most likely to occur? Nuclear disaster, EMP, economic collapse, pandemic, or something else?

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 5:22 PM
  • 14 Replies
  • 413 Total Views

Poll: Which doomsday scenario do you think is most likely to occur? Nuclear disaster, EMP, economic collapse, pandemic, or something else?

by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 5:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
laurag8707
by Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:26 PM
1 mom liked this

economic collapse would be on my top list of things happening to be honest. I think the economy will collapse again to the point of people stealing everything from everyone stealing food everyone waiting in a hunger line etc..

smalltowngal
by Head Admin on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:11 PM

I say economic collapse. 

kimmykim
by Group Owner on Oct. 6, 2012 at 2:52 PM

I'd say both economic collapse and a pandemic are the two things I think would most likely happen.

Necha
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 3:56 PM
Any of them. And EMP attack would cause an economic collapse instantly. I guess to answer the question I think there will be pendemics first, then economic collapse, then total collapse of government. And nuclear and EMP attacks could be in there anywhere. I actually think they will all happen, and they are all just as likely. For me its just which will happen first.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
foreverb3
by Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:29 AM

I think an economic collapse.  We are on the brink right now and so many people are having a rough time making ends meet.  Very sad that we have so much on our plates and have to make these kinds of choices.

hipmomto3
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:22 PM

I'm on an EMP kick lately so I think that might be most likely.

Though maybe tied with pandemic actually. Just given all the crazy things we do to ourselves and our environment - people die of MRSA, flu, etc right now, and if there was much disruption in communication or movement of goods from place to place, it could get BAD, really fast.

Disease would be widespread after an EMP, but at the same time, people would not be able to move across the world so easily as they do now. So diseases would be more of the type you see when people are grouped together in unsanitary conditions - dysentery, lice, that sort of thing.

othermom
by Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 11:20 AM
1 mom liked this

I think for certain areas natural disasters are a big worry. Also ecconomic collapse. But one of the things I worry about is rising food costs, job loss, and other emergancies like that

luvmysoldier1
by Bronze Member on Oct. 22, 2012 at 8:25 AM

Economic collapse. I have heard a lot recently how much worse prices will get after December.

hipmomto3
by Member on Oct. 24, 2012 at 10:05 AM
3 moms liked this

The thing that, in many of these scenarios, I hadn't really considered until recently, is that loss of electricity and loss of basic government services such as running, clean water, trash pick up, downed power line removal, etc - those would all fall apart as well.

So whether it was widespread disease like a re-emergence of something like the 1918 flu, or an EMP, or civil war... in many of those possible scenarios, we could lose electricity. That's made me re-think the idea of hundreds of #10 cans of dry foods that would require water and long cooking times in order to eat. Building fires, having propane for a camp stove or grill, that kind of thing would really come in handy. Being able to raise small animals for meat - chicken, rabbit - would be an important skill to have. So I don't keep chickens or rabbits but I have read and own several books on the topic, so that if we felt inspired to move ahead with that we could - or at least if at some point in a disaster we were offerred some pullets or something, we'd know what to do with them!

Dianne1259
by Bronze Member on Nov. 7, 2012 at 8:13 AM

Economic Collapse is first on my list, followed by pandemic and then a tie for Nuclear Disaster/EMP.  I live within spittin' distance of TMI and I am less concerned about that than Economic Collapse and the possibility of rioting and martial law!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)