Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Low Carb Food Storage Ideas?

Posted by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:22 PM
  • 11 Replies
  • 385 Total Views

My husband and I have been eating low carb for 5 months now and I've lost 55 lbs.  Which is awesome, but...  I need ideas on what to store for food storage that is low carb!  We don't eat wheat or flour or any grains, we don't eat beans or pasta or rice, no sugar...  So, what are your ideas?

I want to buy a case of black soy beans from Amazon, because one can only has 4 carbs in it, and they taste like regular beans.  We have canned tuna, chicken, beef...  Green beans and mushrooms are the only vegetables I can think of that are fairly low carb.  What are your other ideas?  Maybe people that eat gluten free would have good ideas for me. 

by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
moneysaver6
by Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Many who eat gluten-free because of allergies (like our family) still eat grains.  We just eat different grains like rice, spelt, millet, quinoa, etc.

We're high raw, but don't focus on any high or low type of diet besides that.  Here's a bump, though.

hipmomto3
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Why no beans? I understand they are not strictly low carb, but they are low GI given the massive amount of fiber in them. Unless you are doing LC for a reason other than blood sugar - Paleo? But Paleos eat rice sometimes, so... IDK.

Canned meats I think would be your safest bet. What do you eat now? You obviously can't store salads or anything, but there are surely more veg than green beans and mushrooms that you eat now that you could eat from storage?

What abou tomato sauce? Not pasta sauce with added sugars, but canned tomatoes or tomato sauce straight up?

Melodee0119
by Group Admin on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:05 AM
1 mom liked this
She eats LC loose weight ;) right Kim .
Good question. Um....thrive has spinach. Peppers. Etc.
I would probably still store the other stuff because if it were me I would eat "regular " if I needed to use my storage
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hipmomto3
by Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 6:02 PM

^I agree.

If your diet is not due to an allergy but rather a lifestyle choice, I would still store some of those things that you do not eat right now, but would be able to live off of in an emergency (long term) situation.

I do not eat wheat (like cookies, cereal, bread made from wheat - but I do occasionally eat normal pasta) but we store some wheat, because it stores forever, is nutrient dense, and if we had to, we would eat it. However I store a lot MORE of things that I know we would eat.

Also canned meats will not last as long as canned dry goods. IDK about dehydrated meats?? Maybe they last longer. Maybe you can dehydrate meat and then dry pack it? I think I've seen that on Thrive. Mostly I guess I'm thinking of tuna, etc - or home-canned chicken in liquids.

GrammyTammyK
by New Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 9:42 PM

I eat low carb as well, mostly no sugar and no starch, but have started adding a little beans to diet for now.  I eat a lot of nuts also.  So we have stored nuts as well.  But I think in survival mode my diet might be different.  So we still store items that I would not eat in a normal situation.  For instance I have to cringe at even  buying canned veggies b/c I normally only eat frozen or fresh.  But I do know if it came down to no choice I would eat the canned stuff as well.  But as far as low carb in the can I would think that canned tomatoes and spinach would be ok.  Also saurkratt, not sure if there is cabbage in a can besides saurkratt.  Peanut butter without the sugar.  I use almond meal/flour for baking and such.  I sweeten with stevia, erythritol or xylitol.  I have also thought about adding some honey in also as long as it is pure, natural honey.  Just a few ideas.

moneysaver6
by Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 1:00 AM

I agree that it's good to store foods for an emergency.  However, part of the premise of storing what you eat is that your body will be used to what you store. 

Keeping wheat on hand for those who already eat it is a good idea.  Generally, though, it's not a good idea to start eating wheat in an emergency if you haven't done so before.  You can actually get sick if you aren't used to eating wheat.  As such, if you DO need to start eating it in an emergency, then you should start slowly to give your body time to get acclimated to it.

Thrive does offer freeze-dried meats as well as freeze dried veggies like spinach (which was mentioned before) and freeze-dried dairy products.  If you do order from Shelf Reliance (the company that offers Thrive foods), make sure that you order directly from a consultant to ensure that you get the best price.  (They can offer you even cheaper prices than you'll find at Costco.)

Quoting hipmomto3:

I do not eat wheat (like cookies, cereal, bread made from wheat - but I do occasionally eat normal pasta) but we store some wheat, because it stores forever, is nutrient dense, and if we had to, we would eat it. However I store a lot MORE of things that I know we would eat.

Also canned meats will not last as long as canned dry goods. IDK about dehydrated meats?? Maybe they last longer. Maybe you can dehydrate meat and then dry pack it? I think I've seen that on Thrive. Mostly I guess I'm thinking of tuna, etc - or home-canned chicken in liquids.

moneysaver6
by Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 1:04 AM

Honey is great to store!  It doesn't ever expire.  It might crystalize, but will return back to a liquid state w/warm water.

Quoting GrammyTammyK:

I have also thought about adding some honey in also as long as it is pure, natural honey.  Just a few ideas.

kimmykim
by Group Owner on Oct. 15, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Thanks for the ideas!  I love the idea about the almond meal, flax meal and low carb sweeteners.  I'll have to stock up on those things!  

I eat low carb for weight loss, and if something were to happen that was a short term emergency such as a loss of job or sickness or whatever, then I'd still like to try my hardest at keeping with my way of eating.  If it were the end of the world, then you bet I'd be eating sugar and flour and all that stuff.  :)  

So, I do still store those things, but I need to also store low carb options as well.  Beans might be low GI, but they are not low carb.  They are acutally very high carb, especially when you only eat 20 net carbs a day, like I do.  :)

I'll look into the Thrive stuff more, but I'm mainly looking for 3 month supply kind of things.  

hipmomto3
by Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Ah, 20g=Atkins. I'd have gotten it if you'd called it that. :) Many people eat 'low carb' which to them means lower carb than the typical American diet of 75% carbs. Even Paleo is more than 20g/day though. 

Melodee0119
by Group Admin on Oct. 16, 2012 at 6:01 PM
Probably a lot of canned meats. I have been very happy with all the thrive meats I have tried
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN