• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Challenge: Use your food storage and make a dessert!

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:26 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 368 Total Views

I have a lot of staples in my storage that simply don't get used on a daily/weekly basis, so this is as much a challenge for myself as it is for the group:

Make a dessert for your family,  using only the food storage staples that you have on hand.

Then report back to the group what you made.  Maybe post the recipe and some photos...

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
GoodyBrook
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:27 PM

I have a lot of oats and honey on hand...  I'll make something using these.  (Probably cookies!)

GoodyBrook
by Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 2:40 AM

I made banana bread tonight--threw it in the oven with the meatloaf, and man did the house smell odd!

1 cup triticale, ground into flour in the blender

about 1/3 cup ground flax

1 tsp baking soda

1 cup of cooked oatmeal

1/2 cup applesauce (one of those 4 oz personal cups, nice in a lunchbox)

1/2 cup brown sugar

about 1/4 cup honey (maybe less)

dash salt

bit of vanilla

2 eggs

and finally, 2 previously frozen bananas

I've been trying to sub out oils in my baking, and applesauce works great in this bread.  It was the first time I broke into my triticale, and I was happy that it did not tasts "whole wheat-y,"  just rich and flavorful.  And it was very moist--maybe from the cooked oatmeal?

I like to peel and throw my bananas into ziplocs before they go bad.  Then I just pull out a ziploc (two bananas per bag) and let it thaw on the counter before using.  When bananas thaw, they loose their juice, so just dump the contents of the ziploc into your mixing bowl, juice and all...

ddmalott
by Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 2:48 PM
I made raspberry muffins, they are so sweet that I love them for dessert

http://www.thrivelife.com/c/kitchen/recipe/blueberry-muffins-streusel-topping

Ingredients
1 1⁄2 c thrive freeze dried blueberries
3⁄4 c butter, divided
1 3⁄4 c thrive white sugar, divided
2 thrive whole eggs, prepared
2 1⁄3 c thrive white flour
2 t thrive baking powder
1⁄2 t thrive iodized salt
1⁄2 c thrive powdered milk, reconstituted
1⁄2 t ground cinnamon
Instructions
* Place the blueberries in a bowl and pour hot tap water over them to barely cover. Leave to sit for 10 minutes or until reconstituted, stirring occasionally, and then drain the water.
* While blueberries are rehydrating, add 1/2 c butter and 1 1/4 c white sugar to a mixing bowl. Cream together until smooth.
* Combine beaten eggs, 2 c flour, baking powder, and salt, then stir into creamed mixture alternately with milk. Fold in drained blueberries.
* Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. In a small bowl, combine cinnamon with remaining sugar (1/2 c) and flour (1/3 c). Cut in remaining butter (1/4 c) until crumbly. Sprinkle over muffins.
* Bake muffins at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve muffins warm.

I used raspberries instead of blueberries and substituted applesauce and baking powder for the eggs.
I also added some of the powder in the bottom of the raspberry can to the topping, turned it a very pretty red and amazing taste!
You could probably cut the topping ingredients in half I had lots left over.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TXmomof5cubs
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:08 PM

I made some brownies tonight because I needed something sweet. I just used the recipe on the side of the cocoa can and they were delicious! Next time I'll try the recipe without fresh eggs and real butter. Hopefully they will still be good.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)