Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Introduce Yourself Here!

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2008 at 12:24 PM
  • 173 Replies
  • 3483 Total Views
Hi Everyone!  I'm Clarisse - a SAHM of 2 boys (2 1/2 and 1 years old) and a little girl on the way (due in September).  So needless to say, my days are pretty busy!  lol. 

I grew up in the LDS church, and my mom always stressed to me the importance of food storage.  She may hate me for saying this, but she is the food storage queen and is a wonderful fountain of information to me.  I have only recently started working on building our long-term food storage, and I suppose I've caught "the bug" because it's quickly becoming my new obsession.  I am not an expert, but I'm learning.  I hope to learn from all of you, and I hope you can learn a trick or two from me. 

We have the potential to make this a very valuable group.  We have access to wonderful minds, some great ideas, and especially a network of moms who have the same goals - to prepare our families for the things life might throw at us.  So, please share your ideas.  Ask questions.  Share links, articles, or anything relating to food, water, or even non-food item storage.

- Clarisse

2 1/2 years on Baby Step 2 and counting....

How did I do it?  Check out my blog for my tips and tricks!

by on Jul. 9, 2008 at 12:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bugabug
by on Jul. 9, 2008 at 12:39 PM
HI! My name is Lesley and I have also grown up in the LDS church and have thought about getting going on my food storage for a looong time but am not sure how to start.  I have 4 kids-3 boys (ages 8 1/2, 5 1/2, and 3) and a 1 year old baby girl.  My mother never had food storage and I am at a loss to get started.  I am looking forward to getting tips and ideas!!
ReesesPieces
by Head Admin on Jul. 9, 2008 at 12:43 PM

Quoting Bugabug:

HI! My name is Lesley and I have also grown up in the LDS church and have thought about getting going on my food storage for a looong time but am not sure how to start.  I have 4 kids-3 boys (ages 8 1/2, 5 1/2, and 3) and a 1 year old baby girl.  My mother never had food storage and I am at a loss to get started.  I am looking forward to getting tips and ideas!!
Hi Lesley - you're our first member (besides myself) so bear with me.  I have a lot of info to get to, I just have to type it in.  Hopefully some of the other gals will be joining us soon!  :o) 
HBP1236
by Member on Jul. 9, 2008 at 2:07 PM
Hi, I'm Megan and I'm a new food storage junkie.  LOL I felt like I was at a meeting for 12 step food storage or something LOL.

I started a few months ago.  I really took it seriously when we were discussing in the other group that there might be a trucker's strike on Apr. 3. I live in Alaska, and so naturally everything is about 50% more expensive than in the lower 48.  (let's not get into shipping LOL).  So I got my butt out and bought flour, rice, canned food, and other stuff because I didn't want to pay more than what they were, already.  I got on the phone with the cannery, and made an appointment, and so now we are learning to eat beans (my 10 year old HATES beans, but what he doesn't know is that I put *secret ingredients* in everything LOL).  I am grateful to get all kinds of recipes and look forward to learning.  I hope it gets super busy in here.

Knowing Clarisse, she'll keep this group going well!
misses_nick
by on Jul. 9, 2008 at 4:17 PM

I'm lifelong member, Kathy (not sure what being a lifer has to do with it, but there you go...). LOL

I've been big on food storage since I went away to college. I worked the year before and every cent was either saved for tuition, books, travel to and from, or it was used to create my "bumper supply' as I called it at the time. I was on my own in my educational endeavours, as my family was unable to help, and I was far enough away that no one could have rescued me very quickly if I needed it. So I stocked up on an entire year's worth of personal products, "household" items, and school supplies, knowing that those would be the most needed and expensive items throughout the year. Then I did get myself a 3-month bumper supply of typical starving student foods. I ate mostly in the dorm dining room, so food wasn't as big of an issue except on Sundays, when meals weren't served, and during breaks when the dining room closed but the dorms stayed open for stragglers.

My type-A planning turned out to be a very good plan indeed as EVERY single cent I made thereafter went to my education and room and board. My financial aid package didn't cover everything, so even the job I got while in school just covered the leftover expenses.

Once I got married I continued to do the best I could with food storage, but we were always in small apartments where improvisation was the key. We just bought our first home, and we have a good lot of space, so I am looking forward to getting the full year's supply going for my family of (soon to be) 5.

LogansMomma04
by Member on Jul. 9, 2008 at 5:14 PM
Hi I'm Tracy and I'm a convert to the Church, I am also *NEW* to this Food Storage stuff. Growing up we never really had much in the cupboard when it came to being prepared for emergencies. Now that I have a family, I want to make sure when we get our own place again that we are able have a food storage set aside to have but to use so that I don't have to go to the store ALL the time. (if that makes sense?)

ReesesPieces
by Head Admin on Jul. 9, 2008 at 5:28 PM
Welcome to all our new members!  I'm so excited that I'm not the only one here!  :o) 

This is going to be such a great group.  We've already got a good start going so hop on in.  Ask questions, start threads, tell us what you are working on getting together, or whatever tickles your fancy! 

Oh, and I have a few links in the "Links" section to the left.  They aren't anything too fancy, but feel free to add more if you find them helpful.  :o)
Dianne1259
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2008 at 7:27 PM
Dianne from PA, Brand New Convert, got baptized on 6/18. 

I actually did a little "Food Storage" back when we all thought the world would come to an end with Y2K lol.  I started my food storage again last month, and every month (since I live on Food Stamps now) I do $50 just for my food Storage.  I always buy a gal of oil, and some beans / legumes, tomatoes, pasta and lots of baking soda and baking powder for some reason (don't know, I just do what the "experts" say) (did you know that an expert is a "little drip of water under pressure" comes from my days as a Paralegal"   I also plan on adding at least one extra case of water every month in addition to drinking bottles in cases.   I am looking forward to getting my dehydrator going full speed soon, and I really want a food saver system and my grain mill by the end of the year, along with other emergency supplies; stupid things like a tent, sleeping bags, blankets, lanterns, a camp stove and lots of fuel etc ... It seems like the list is neverending!   Oh yeah, and TP, lots and lots of TP!! 

I too live in a small rental "house" if you want to call it that.  I have 2 children, Michael age 12 and Jake age 9. I need to start thinking more along the lines of stuff I know they will eat so I should go hunting for things like cous cous and orzo in bulk.    I live just outside of Amish Country Lancaster County PA where we had lots and lots of "cheapie" stores run by the old order Mennonite and the Amish..  I was Mennonite for YEARS and I never learned to can from my friends, they all said I wouldn't be able to afford to do it.  I even have one friend, who cans and has awesome storage,  and she tells me all the time that I shouldn't worry b/c "God is going to take care of you"!!  I like to be self-sufficient now that I am a single mom again.  One of my friends said that my ex (as of next week) will be at my door hunting for food, and she wondered if I would feed him.  I said I would if he could afford my prices :)

So, with that said, I am off to the cheapie store here in my town, a sister of the largest cheapie store  from Lancaster County for water and other things for my food storage. 

I don't know about anyone else, but it is a feeling of security for me to know i am working on my food storage.  I may not have everything I need, but I know that I will have enough if things get really bad for a while to keep my family and probably at least one other family fed for a while at least. 

I look forward to learning new tips and sharing things as I learn here as well. 

Ok, I will stop with the Epic Novel here and let you get back to your lives as you know them :)
Ciao Bellas

DIANNE-2.gif picture by chefddr

SunshineMama
by on Jul. 9, 2008 at 9:56 PM

What a great group! :)

My grandma always had a great food storage --- enough to feed an army for 6 months if they ever got snowed in with her. :)

An LDS friend then introduced me to the concept again a few years ago.

It really has come in handy --- when we had extra bills, between jobs and had a week there without a paycheck or just when life gets chaotic.

I have an extra *bonus* of having to be real picky about what items my family can eat. Neither my hubby or my oldest can eat gluten (yes, that is wheat, ladies) or dairy items. Not a dull moment around here.......

My current projects are

*canning
*gardening
*re-arranging my kitchen
*fine tuning my grocery shopping

Although, I am not LDS....I guess you can consider me a wanna-be. My family has adopted many of the LDS lifestyle principles. We hold family evenings on Monday ---or at least we did for a while and am starting to get back to them again. Being prepared with life skills, food storage and such is on the top of our list as well.

I hope to learn a lot from you ladies!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.womenforwomen.org

Give another mamma and woman a hand-up!!

ReesesPieces
by Head Admin on Jul. 9, 2008 at 10:00 PM

Quoting SunshineMama:

What a great group! :)

My grandma always had a great food storage --- enough to feed an army for 6 months if they ever got snowed in with her. :)

An LDS friend then introduced me to the concept again a few years ago.

It really has come in handy --- when we had extra bills, between jobs and had a week there without a paycheck or just when life gets chaotic.

I have an extra *bonus* of having to be real picky about what items my family can eat. Neither my hubby or my oldest can eat gluten (yes, that is wheat, ladies) or dairy items. Not a dull moment around here.......

My current projects are

*canning
*gardening
*re-arranging my kitchen
*fine tuning my grocery shopping

Although, I am not LDS....I guess you can consider me a wanna-be. My family has adopted many of the LDS lifestyle principles. We hold family evenings on Monday ---or at least we did for a while and am starting to get back to them again. Being prepared with life skills, food storage and such is on the top of our list as well.

I hope to learn a lot from you ladies!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See - I totally need help with gardening.  I kill anything green.  lol.  That's what will be great - being able to help eachother with our strengths! 

And as I said in the little blurb about the group - you definitely don't have to be LDS to enjoy the group.  I just find that a lot of LDS gals are into the food storage thing.  So, please - welcome.  We won't really talk religion here (unless we hear good food storage or emergency preparedness info at church or something).  So, I hope this is a comfortable place.

I will definitely try to keep gluten free and dairy free recipes in my mind as I go scrounging around for things that work with food storage.  :o)
avpriddis
by on Jul. 10, 2008 at 12:24 AM
Wow I am so in need of this group!!!!  My name's Adelina and I am also a "lifer" member.  My mom always had food storage, she was always canning and dehydrating things, but somehow all that info passed me by.  I am a SAHM of 2 beautiful girls, and we are living on campus housing while hubby is going to school.  So we have a very tight budget and pretty much no space (I should get a picture of my pantry it is hilarious!) It's one of those 2feet wide pantries 3feet deep with shelves only in the corner - I guess so the broom and mop can fit in?  Anyways, I am so excited to jump on in to this.  I've been wanting to get started for awhile but really didn't know how! 
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)