Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dehydrator questions

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:25 PM
  • 15 Replies
  • 566 Total Views

Ok, what all can you dehydrate? Can you do strawberries and blue berries? We were thinking about planting some this spring and I was thinking about vacuum packing them. Also, any other suggestions on what to dehydrate except maybe some herbs.

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kimmykim
by Group Owner on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:30 PM

I'm sure you can dehydrate berries, but they won't last as long as if you buy freeze dried.  Since most home dehydrators don't get all of the moisture out of the food. 

We have made venison jerkey on our dehydrator as well as dried apples and onions. 

~Kim

Dawnell
by Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 6:28 PM

I read on another site that you can dehydrate canned veggies.  One man said he purchases canned tomatoes and dehydrates them.... says you can fit 8 jars of tomatoes in a canning jar once they are deydrated. 

I haven't tried yet.  It's "on my list".... and that list is getting pretty long....

Jesusiswelcome
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:43 PM

Yes you can dehydrate berries and they will last a long time. I slice my strawberries though. I put mine in a jar when they are done and fold a paper towel over a cracker to keep any moisture out once the jar has been opened.

Quoting smalltowngal:

Ok, what all can you dehydrate? Can you do strawberries and blue berries? We were thinking about planting some this spring and I was thinking about vacuum packing them. Also, any other suggestions on what to dehydrate except maybe some herbs.

Also you can dehydrate meat. We dehydrate elk and deer every year and it keeps too.

You can get cobs of corn or grow some and when the hottest and driest month is with you; you place the cobs on a screen door, place another screen door over the top, screw them together with a nut and bolt, turn the corn every other day. You can just twist the dried corn out when it is dry enough. Same as the berries~~~jar, paper towel and crackers.

I also dehydrate zuccini after I salt them with salt and pepper. They are sooooo good, even the kids loved them. They are a good chip.

ReesesPieces
by Head Admin on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:30 PM

Quoting Jesusiswelcome:

Yes you can dehydrate berries and they will last a long time. I slice my strawberries though. I put mine in a jar when they are done and fold a paper towel over a cracker to keep any moisture out once the jar has been opened.

Quoting smalltowngal:

Also you can dehydrate meat. We dehydrate elk and deer every year and it keeps too.

You can get cobs of corn or grow some and when the hottest and driest month is with you; you place the cobs on a screen door, place another screen door over the top, screw them together with a nut and bolt, turn the corn every other day. You can just twist the dried corn out when it is dry enough. Same as the berries~~~jar, paper towel and crackers.

I also dehydrate zuccini after I salt them with salt and pepper. They are sooooo good, even the kids loved them. They are a good chip.

Wow, that's all great info!  I don't think I'd have ever thought about zucchini chips!  Thanks gor giving me some great ideas!

llagu12
by New Member on Jan. 29, 2009 at 6:49 PM

you should see what i dehydrate ... geez almost everything ... currently i have left over gravy, left over mixed veggies ... left over cranberry sauce ... i have done spaghetti sauce ... apples, pears, strawberries, hamburger rocks ... beef jerky from hamburg ... i also do crackers and cookies that are left out and get soft ... the kids think im nuts but every one loves it all ... when im done drying things ill vaccuum seal them in jars ... i use reg store bought jars and mason jars .... need the vaccuum sealed canisters to do store jars ... i belong to a yahoo group that is really helpful with all this ... best thing to do is look in the fridge or freezer ... dry a bag of veggies ... (corn, peas, whatever) ... if you have parchment paper put that under the veggies as they shrink and will fall through the trays ... anyways .... let me know how you do ... smiles ... Louise

kimmykim
by Group Owner on Jan. 29, 2009 at 10:32 PM

Quoting llagu12:

you should see what i dehydrate ... geez almost everything ... currently i have left over gravy, left over mixed veggies ... left over cranberry sauce ... i have done spaghetti sauce ... apples, pears, strawberries, hamburger rocks ... beef jerky from hamburg ... i also do crackers and cookies that are left out and get soft ... the kids think im nuts but every one loves it all ... when im done drying things ill vaccuum seal them in jars ... i use reg store bought jars and mason jars .... need the vaccuum sealed canisters to do store jars ... i belong to a yahoo group that is really helpful with all this ... best thing to do is look in the fridge or freezer ... dry a bag of veggies ... (corn, peas, whatever) ... if you have parchment paper put that under the veggies as they shrink and will fall through the trays ... anyways .... let me know how you do ... smiles ... Louise

How do you dehydratae gravy and different sauces?  How does that work?

~Kim

llagu12
by New Member on Jan. 30, 2009 at 9:21 AM

Morning Kim ... i take leftover gravy, cranberry sauce, whatever ... spread out on parchment paper or plastic disk that came with dryer and dry till dry ... when you want to use it add water .... no different than when my boys want to buy dehydrated meals to go hiking ... just take what you need and add water ... the cranberry sauce dried up like fruit leather ... really pretty good ...

llagu12
by New Member on Jan. 30, 2009 at 9:24 AM

leftover tomato sauce is hard when dry ... by i throw it in the food processor and grind it up .... then vaccuum seal in jars .... add water when needed

michiganmom116
by on Jan. 30, 2009 at 9:39 AM

I dry sliced strawberries, blueberries, banana slices, apricots, apple slices, jerky, celery, herbs, onions, peas, orange slices,  homemade noodles, granola ..... the list is practically endless!  I also add pureed fruit to applesauce and dry it to make fruit leather for snacks.  You can dry your own cut up veggies, add some boullion and dry noodles to make your own veggie soup mix to take along to work (just add hot water and let sit for 30 to 45 min).  I store most of my dry things in plastic bags or airtight jars and put them in the fridge.

kimmykim
by Group Owner on Jan. 30, 2009 at 2:15 PM

Good info to know!  I'll have to pull out my dehydrators! 

~Kim

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)