Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meal Planning

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 6:17 PM
  • 11 Replies
  • 486 Total Views

Edited to say: I just need to get this written down where I won't loose it. :) What do you think. What can I do cheaper? I have chickens so eggs are covered. I need to buy more meat next time.

I bought two large roasts for cheap at the grocery. I put one in the fridge and cut part of the other for beef stew. I also bought a large ham. :) Costco size bag of chicken breast tenders and I think meat for a while is covered.

Sunday : Beef Stew, biscuits

Monday: Ham and mashed potatoes and corn

Tuesday: Red beans and rice with ham bits

Wednesday: Chicken Caccitore (sp?)

Thursday: Scalloped potatoes and ham (I bought a HUGE bag of potatoes.) and veggies

Friday: Tostadas, quesdillas or burritos / spanish rice

Saturday:  Breakfast for dinner.

Sunday: Roast Beef, potatoes, green beans

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 6:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SusieD250
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 6:52 PM

Continued:

Monday: Hot open faced beef sandwiches

Tuesday: Chili Mac

Wednesday: Burritos or quesidillas

Thursday: Fried Chicken and Mashed potatoes, corn

Friday: Payday Out to dinner?

Treats and baked goods to make: Coconut Maccaroons, Chocolate Chip cookies and Snickerdoodles, French bread??, pudding, jello.

luvmysoldier1
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2009 at 8:22 AM

That is a gerat reminder. I really, really need to make a menu. I shop and throw stuff in my cart and think about dinner a couple of hours before I make it. Sad I know. I am sure it costs less to plan ahead. This payday I won't get much anyway because we are going up north for a week. I will buy some items for storage since I don't want to fill the freezer.

ReesesPieces
by Head Admin on Jan. 26, 2009 at 9:41 AM

I don't remember how many you have in your family, but for 4 of us (2 are little kiddos) we can eat a pot roast in 4-5 meals.  Maybe you can cut down on the amount of meat you guys are eating since you lost your job.  Americans consume more meat than is necessary or even recommended for our bodies.  So, you could easily cut down on the portions and get more meals out of what you have.  For the beef stew, make the pieces smaller.  Everyone will still get meat, but you can put less in and no one will really notice much of a difference.  Another thing you can do with pot roast pieces is to shred a little bit of the meat,  boil some egg noodles in beef broth, then when they are about done, add the cooked pot roast shreds, and there you go - beef noodles.  You can get away with about a handful of shredded beef for a family with that recipe.

When we are struggling or need to make our money stretch, we never have just a slab of meat with like potatoes, corn, or peas (or whatever).  We go through the meat way too fast that way, so instead I will put it in many different dishes, and what would have gone to 1 meal will space out to 4 or 5 with fillers. 

With the chicken (if it's not breaded), dice some up into bite sized chunks (once cooked) and add them into rice with some cheese and broccoli.  Or, you can cut the chicken into pieces and do some kind of chicken & dumplings.  The dumplings are filling enough that you can get away without having a bunch of chicken for that.  Maybe do a chicken salad thing - cook the chicken tenders (either breaded or not), and lay one (maybe 2 if they are small) cut up diagonally chicken tenders on top of a salad.  A head of lettuce (a really good one) runs us only about $1.29 and we can get a couple meals out of that.   Maybe you can do a soup, salad, & potato night - nothing fancy, just a basic soup (like chicken noodle, tomato, cream of chicken).  Also, cut up some of those potatoes into bite sized chunks and boil them until they are no longer super hard but not close to mushy either.  Get 2 cans of the campbells cheese soup - put those in a pot with the drained, cooked potatoes, add one can of milk (just use the campbells soup can to measure the milk).  Heat on medium.  You can add bacon bits if you have them, or broccoli, and a little more shredded cheddar cheese.  If it's too thick, add more milk.  Serve topped with a dollop of sour cream, bacon bits, chives, or whatever.  Cheesy Potato Soup is my favorite, and it's generally a meatless meal that is VERY filling and re-heats in the microwave very well. 

SusieD250
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 10:27 AM

There is five of us, three teens. :)

I can't cut down on protein as dh can't get enough. Dr.'s orders. He even takes prescribed shakes.

Out of the stew I made last night I got five servings for dinner, plus three servings, two went into the fridge in portions for dh's lunches, one into the freezer.

I am making a ham today, I hope to make that last longer.

Thanks!

kimmykim
by Group Owner on Jan. 26, 2009 at 1:26 PM

Here is my menu for the week.  Maybe you can use some of the ideas for yours!

Monday - Potato and ham soup with homemade whole wheat bread and a salad

Tuesday - Italian Beans, homemade whole wheat bread and salad

Wednesday - Spaghetti with meat sauce, artisan bread and salad

Thursday - Rice with Gandules, Roasted (or fried, whatever hubby wants) Chicken and salad

Friday - Homemade Pizza and salad

Saturday - green chili burros and salad

Sunday - Ham, hashbrown casserole, green beans and homemade rolls or bread

I make everything we eat from scratch to save money.  So, any dessert that we might have, I make once or twice a week.  I also make all of our bread and make the salad from heads of lettuce, not the pre-made bags.  I also make the dressing for salad, my hubby likes ranch, so I always try to have some on hand.  The ham that I am going to make on Sunday will last us the whole next week, so next week we'll be having soups with ham in it, beans with ham in it, ham fried rice....you get the idea.  My husband also takes leftovers to work for his lunch from the night before, so there is no waste of food at all. 

~Kim

michiganmom116
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 1:32 PM

Quoting SusieD250:

There is five of us, three teens. :)

I can't cut down on protein as dh can't get enough. Dr.'s orders. He even takes prescribed shakes.

Out of the stew I made last night I got five servings for dinner, plus three servings, two went into the fridge in portions for dh's lunches, one into the freezer.

I am making a ham today, I hope to make that last longer.

Thanks!

How about having him eat a couple of hard boiled eggs?  Each egg has 6 gr of protein in it.  I buy my eggs at a mini dept store for $1.25/doz.  I think that would be less expensive than feeding him a lot of meat.  Can you buy a protein powder to add to his drinks or food?  We had to buy whey powder for our son.  A little goes a long way.

SusieD250
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 2:44 AM

He eats an egg in the morning and an egg at night. We have chickens so those are free. He doesn't absorb a lot of protein. He drinks a midmorning protein shake and a mid afternoon protein shake. He has to have beef on a daily basis to maintain his protein level. I agree we as Americans eat a lot of protein, we (the rest of the family) are not big meat eaters so we will be able to make it last. Dh simply doesn't absorb protein properly so he has to eat a lot of it.

We had a ham tonight. I will get four more meals out of it easily.  As for the other roast, I am not sure I want to do a pot roast. (Just doesn't sound good to me. I don't really like it.) Maybe part in beef tamales? I have all the stuff.

RustysMom
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:07 PM

I plan a menu and try to do meatless about every 3 dinners...mac and cheese, grillled cheese, etc... if you can increase your meat by adding to it with vegies... I add bean to my taco meat mix to stretch a pound for 6 (4boys)

I think it takes 3 days for meat to get through the digestive process in our bodies from in by mouth and out by ..... we never give our system a break... it works 24/7 if we eat meat at every meal....

We eat to much food anyway... we think we need to fill our plates...so they make bigger plates...then we are told to clean our plates...and now we are obese... dah go figure...

I have gone to the bread plate size...and make sure I have 2 vegies/fruit... the grandkids like trees (broccli) and we have done baked tats with cheese and broccli for dinner...that is meatless....

Think of the meals your parents grew up with...they were smaller and meager...but they were not starving or obese.... We are all going to starve if we use platters for our meals. hehe

OK.... off the SoapBox again hehheheheheheheheeeeee

Quoting ReesesPieces:

I don't remember how many you have in your family, but for 4 of us (2 are little kiddos) we can eat a pot roast in 4-5 meals.  Maybe you can cut down on the amount of meat you guys are eating since you lost your job.  Americans consume more meat than is necessary or even recommended for our bodies.  So, you could easily cut down on the portions and get more meals out of what you have.  For the beef stew, make the pieces smaller.  Everyone will still get meat, but you can put less in and no one will really notice much of a difference.  Another thing you can do with pot roast pieces is to shred a little bit of the meat,  boil some egg noodles in beef broth, then when they are about done, add the cooked pot roast shreds, and there you go - beef noodles.  You can get away with about a handful of shredded beef for a family with that recipe.

When we are struggling or need to make our money stretch, we never have just a slab of meat with like potatoes, corn, or peas (or whatever).  We go through the meat way too fast that way, so instead I will put it in many different dishes, and what would have gone to 1 meal will space out to 4 or 5 with fillers. 

With the chicken (if it's not breaded), dice some up into bite sized chunks (once cooked) and add them into rice with some cheese and broccoli.  Or, you can cut the chicken into pieces and do some kind of chicken & dumplings.  The dumplings are filling enough that you can get away without having a bunch of chicken for that.  Maybe do a chicken salad thing - cook the chicken tenders (either breaded or not), and lay one (maybe 2 if they are small) cut up diagonally chicken tenders on top of a salad.  A head of lettuce (a really good one) runs us only about $1.29 and we can get a couple meals out of that.   Maybe you can do a soup, salad, & potato night - nothing fancy, just a basic soup (like chicken noodle, tomato, cream of chicken).  Also, cut up some of those potatoes into bite sized chunks and boil them until they are no longer super hard but not close to mushy either.  Get 2 cans of the campbells cheese soup - put those in a pot with the drained, cooked potatoes, add one can of milk (just use the campbells soup can to measure the milk).  Heat on medium.  You can add bacon bits if you have them, or broccoli, and a little more shredded cheddar cheese.  If it's too thick, add more milk.  Serve topped with a dollop of sour cream, bacon bits, chives, or whatever.  Cheesy Potato Soup is my favorite, and it's generally a meatless meal that is VERY filling and re-heats in the microwave very well. 

Grandma of 10skateboarding

heavenis7
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 6:49 PM

We just discovered something we love that makes something new that we love. We make a Pork Roast in the Crock Pot  with lots of garlic onions and salt and pepper ( I use the picnic roast when it is on sale for like .99/lb) A big roast feeds us (all nine of us) with lots of left overs. I added a can of red chili sauce to the shredded left overs and made buriitoes. That fed our family for dinner the next night and lunch the day after that! That isn't bad for 9 people to be fed 3 times of one roast.

I also do meatless meals a couple times a week. We do lentil soup with cheese and tortilla chips (my kids eat it like a dip). Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup. Baked Potatoes and Brocolli. I also make Potato Soup with green chilis, onions and garlic and put cheese on top with corn bread on the side.

SusieD250
by on Jan. 29, 2009 at 10:31 AM

Well, so far I have been sticking to my meal plan. I have had to go to the store for 4 things. Canned tomatoes, cat food, chicken food, and french bread.
The meals have gone over really well with almost everyone. I can cook! Who knew?

My son, (the one with sensory processing disorder) is the only one who is having difficulty with the meals. BUT, he never complains, he just doesn't like it. (Mom can tell. LOL) So if he doesn't get enough, he quietly gets himself a cup o noodles or peanut butter sandwich later. Which is ok with me. I cannot force him to like food, and since he is trying really hard I can cut him some slack. But the other two are eating it and liking it. Which is very stress relieving I can tell ya.

So, tonight is scalloped potatoes and ham. My mil's recipe is apparently very good, so I am going to try that. :) *I* don't like scalloped potatoes, so this going to be my test to see if I can/will make myself eat dinner. *grin*

I hope everyone is having a good day.

Susie

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)