Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Other uses for common (cheap) household items

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:17 AM
  • 11 Replies
  • 364 Total Views

I thought it would be fun and informative to post different household items and their uses. For instance, Hydrogen Peroxide can be used to clean fruits and veggies and kills bacteria, etc. H.ydrogen Peroxide is super cheap and I assume it stores well.

I'll post the items I know, but would love you to add yours!

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
megmotta
by Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:18 AM

Use Hydrogen Peroxide to Heal and Stay Healthy

Friday, December 19, 2008 by: Jo Hartley, citizen journalist
See all articles by this author
Email this author

Key concepts: Hydrogen, Hydrogen peroxide and Vinegar

(NaturalNews) Hydrogen peroxide has helped many people fight off flu and colds and when drops are placed in the ear it seems to be effective four out of five times used. This is especially true if this is done promptly upon onset of symptoms.

The belief is that colds and flu viruses typically enter the body through the ear canal. This is contrary to popular belief that viruses are usually caught through the eyes, mouth, or nose. One way to greatly reduce the chance of becoming ill with colds and flu is to keep fingers out of ears. Even when we are mindful of this, these microscopic airborne germs often land in the ears anyway. Once the germs enter the inner ear, they breed and then have access to the entire body and can travel and make one sick.

But, when Hydrogen Peroxide is placed in the ears as early as possible when symptoms appear, within 12-24 hours healing results will usually become apparent. The Hydrogen Peroxide starts working almost immediately to kill the viruses. Bubbling will be noticed and there may even be some mild stinging as well. It should not be described as painful, though. After the bubbling subsides within a few minutes, drain one side and repeat with the other side.

This is also safe to administer to infants and children; however they may not like the bubbling and mild stinging. Be careful not to get Hydrogen Peroxide in the eyes and if this happens, flush immediately with water.

Hydrogen Peroxide also can help loosen impacted wax from ears. Soak the impacted ears with olive oil for several minutes first and then place the Hydrogen Peroxide in the ear(s).

Other Uses For Hydrogen Peroxide

Hydrogen Peroxide has many other beneficial uses as well. Make a clean, safe kitchen without exposing family members to harmful toxins by using a simple disinfecting spray. This will create an effective spray that will successfully kill bacteria and is also very cost effective.

Place 3% Hydrogen Peroxide (in the brown bottle) in a clean spray bottle and place either plain white vinegar or apple cider vinegar in another clean spray bottle.

These two sprays can be used to clean residues off of fruits and vegetables. Either spray first with the Hydrogen Peroxide and then the vinegar or the other way around. It does not matter which is first and neither is more or less beneficial. There will not be any lingering taste of either product and neither is toxic.

These sprays of Hydrogen Peroxide and vinegar also clean and sanitize counters very effectively. Any food preparation surface – including wooden cutting boards – will be sanitized by using these sprays.

By using these two products in sprays it is possible to virtually eliminate all Salmonella, E. Coli bacteria, and Shigella on even heavily contaminated foods and surfaces. This means that these sprays when used together are more effective at neutralizing these harmful bacteria than commercial cleaners and even chlorine bleach.

For best results, use one spray immediately followed by the other. This method is much more effective than using either spray alone and is also more effective than when the two products are combined together in one spray bottle.

megmotta
by Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 9:21 AM

Make Your Own Baby Formula

Combine 6 tablespoons of nonfat dry milk, 2 teaspoons of vegetable oil, and 1 teaspoon of sugar in one (1) cup of water (boiled water is safest).

Thoroughly mix all the ingredients and allow the mixture to cool to room temperature before use if using boiled water.

WARNING: Do not substitute honey or corn syrup for the sugar as they contain bacteria which can cause serious side effects and quite possibly death due to the lack of a fully developed immune system in young babies.

Per adult for one year
Grains: 400 lbs.
Legumes*: 60 lbs.    * Legumes include dry beans, split peas, lentils, etc.
Powdered Milk: 16 lbs.
Cooking oil: 10 qts.
Sugar or honey: 60 lbs.
Salt: 8 lbs.
Water (2 wks) 15 gal.

Merlyn0526
by Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:47 AM

hydrogen peroxide does have many uses, but it doesn't store very well. it doesn't last nearly as long as some people think and once it is open it lasts only about a week or so at full strength.

just some food for thought.

I use baby wipes for everything cuz they can really take almost any stain out.

Pam

michiganmom116
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:27 AM

I use baking soda instead of a powdered cleaner like Comet or Barkeeper's Friend.  Baking soda, combined with elbow grease, get out stains on countertops and vanities and shines up a stainless steel sink beautifully.  I've also used it to help scrub burned food from pans. 

We also use baking soda to help get our teeth feeling cleaner and our mouth fresher.  (We do use toothpaste also )

asil
by Member on Feb. 6, 2009 at 2:02 AM
LOL! i LOVE posts like this, and have some uncommon uses!
PADS: work well for cleaning the floor, mirrors, and windows. due to the liner on the outside they leave NO streaks or dust bunnies. use liners on the "swiffer sweeper" instead of the expensive pads if needed. they also work well in first aid kits. They are sealed and sanitary, and with the liner are almost "non-stick" apply to large wounds. They also work as hot/cold packs, simply add water and freeze or microwave for a bit!
TAMPONS: work well in the first aid kit too. are a blessing when you get a bloody nose and need both hands, say when hiking or even handling 2 small kids! just add water, bury with your plant, and go on vacation, the water will soak into the soil slowly and water small plants while you are gone. they also work in situations where you would use a cotton ball, but don't have one!
CHAPSTICK: i think this was mentioned but depending, if it is petrolium based it will burn, it is good for lips, chapped faces, and even lubrication for a sticky key. can also be applied to small wounds to keep dirt out and moisture in.
BAKING SODA: SOOOO many uses, from the fridge to the wash, then to your toothbrush. cleaning sinks and other tough stains as well. can also be lightly sprinkled and rubbed into hair to remove "grease" from not washing
CONTACT SALINE: good for contacts and eyes, but also good for the first aid kit. good to use to wash items out of eyes or open wounds.
CHARCOAL BRIQUETTES: (or however you spell it) use with a cardboard box, lined with aluminum foil, and you have an instant oven. keep your emergency supplies in a box, put some charcoal in a baggie, and a roll of foil. this is a girl scout trick that i learned, we make cookies, but honestly it DOES work, and if needed (no gas or electric) the charcoal can be lit and used to bake, cook, boil water, heat shower water... etc!
hmmm, there are more, i'll get back with them!

PROUD OWNER OF...
coupon/check trades and giveaways... come check out what new coupons are posted today! Printable links, hints and tips, and much much more!  http://www.cafemom.com/group/30682

gmums... a group for moms who use gdiapers, the best alternative to cloth for the environment. A fun and healthy way to use flushable diapers! http://www.cafemom.com/group/26255

ddh developmental dysplasia of the hip... a group for moms who have a child who has or has had ddh.  A group to share information, stories, successes and disappointments, and other information related to having a child with ddh.  http://www.cafemom.com/group/33384

MrsFizz007
by on Feb. 6, 2009 at 4:32 PM

Awesome!!  Thanks for posting this!

Photobucket

skrawli
by Member on Feb. 7, 2009 at 10:25 PM

nice thread.

We may not have it all together but together we have it all.

ReesesPieces
by Head Admin on Feb. 7, 2009 at 10:32 PM

Quoting asil:

PADS: work well for cleaning the floor, mirrors, and windows. due to the liner on the outside they leave NO streaks or dust bunnies. use liners on the "swiffer sweeper" instead of the expensive pads if needed. they also work well in first aid kits. They are sealed and sanitary, and with the liner are almost "non-stick" apply to large wounds. They also work as hot/cold packs, simply add water and freeze or microwave for a bit!

I just gotta say that we keep some in our first aid kit just for that reason!  My mom was talking to me about this the other day. I was saying that I found some gauze on sale for $2.50 a box, and she said "use maxi pads - they are sealed, sanitary, and won't stick to your wounds"  I was like "duh...why didn't I think about that!"  So great idea!

My contribution is ground black pepper.  If you have an ant problem, put a line of ground black pepper across where they are coming in.  They will not cross it. 

sassymomntx1961
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2009 at 5:05 PM

Quoting ReesesPieces:

Quoting asil:

I just gotta say that we keep some in our first aid kit just for that reason!  My mom was talking to me about this the other day. I was saying that I found some gauze on sale for $2.50 a box, and she said "use maxi pads - they are sealed, sanitary, and won't stick to your wounds"  I was like "duh...why didn't I think about that!"  So great idea!

My contribution is ground black pepper.  If you have an ant problem, put a line of ground black pepper across where they are coming in.  They will not cross it. 

it prob makes them sneeze like it does us lol.

RustysMom
by on Feb. 8, 2009 at 5:21 PM

This is a great group...

We are just flourishing here...

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!

i have a few to share, will find them

the Pads idea ROCKS!!!  never thought I'd buy them again... well, now ya know...

Grandma of 10skateboarding

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)