Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

homemade laundry soap

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:49 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 474 Total Views

so I've gone crazy or so DH seems to think anyways - but has anyone made their own soap and use it on a regular basis? I've heard it's much cheaper and easier and better than the store bought. and that you actually end up not using fabric softener. Any feedback for me - Rebecca

wedding   

January 3, 2009

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
SusieD250
by on Jan. 28, 2009 at 2:11 AM

I make my own laundry soap from Fels Naptha and Soap Powder. It works well. I can't figure out where I put the recipe...but I think this is is..

One bar fels naptha grated

One cup soap powder

put Grated soap into saucepan along with four cups of hot water and heat to melt all the soap.

Remove from heat and pour into 5 gallon bucket and add soap powder and 4 gallons of hot water. Stir well

Let sit overnight. It will gel up. It will also seperate, so stir or shake before using. I use it for dishwasher soap, laundry soap. It is easier on the skin as well. My family is prone to skin problems but we haven't had any problems with this at all.

Susie

ReesesPieces
by Head Admin on Jan. 28, 2009 at 8:48 AM

Large batch of Dry soap

4 bars of Fels Naptha soap or pink Zoat

1 box of borax,

1 box of washing soda (not baking soda; yellow box)

Grate the bars of soap; I use my food processor to do and then grind it finer with the grinder blade.  If using your food processor, add some borax or washing soda to ease the grinding process.  Otherwise the machine works too hard and can burn out!

Put the grated soap in a big bucket, add the rest of the ingredients and mix. You only need 1/2 Cup per load, seriously! It's great stuff.  You can also use either recipe in your front loaders as well!

Personally I prefer the dry soap because I did make a batch of the gellatinous soap and it kinda grossed me out how it looked.  I may not have done it right or something, but it kinda goopy and I just think the dry is better.  I am not using it currently though, but we have before.  I just found a bunch of free laundry detergent, so I have a huge stockpile of that.

Homemade Laundry Soap

1/3 bar Fels Naptha (laundry Isle) or Zote soap, (Hispanic Isle)

½ cup washing soda (yellow box; not baking soda)

½ cup Borax powder

~You will also need a small bucket, about 2 gallon size~ (Ice cream bucket works well)

Grate the soap and put it in a sauce pan. Add 6 cups water and heat it until the soap melts. Add the washing soda and the borax and stir until it is dissolved. Remove from heat. Pour 4 cups hot water into the bucket. Now add your soap mixture and stir. Now add 1 gallon plus 6 cups of water and stir. Let the soap sit for about 24 hours and it will gel. You use ½ cup per load.

The finished soap will not be a solid gel. It will be more of a watery gel that some ladies have accurately described as an "egg noodle soup" look.

kimmykim
by Group Owner on Jan. 28, 2009 at 2:55 PM

I make and use the liquid kind of laundry soap and I love it.  It is really gloppy, but that doesn't bother me.  It works great and is really cheap compared to store bought laundry soap.  I think it costs me about 1 penny per load!

~Kim

Dawnell
by Member on Feb. 21, 2009 at 7:33 PM

I read somewhere that you can use ivory soap (bars) to make liquid detergent also.  I've never heard of the ones you mention here.  Does that sound right that I can use the Ivory?  Would I still use the same number of bars?

With a no electricity situation, liquid detergent would be better so you wouldn't have the little specks of powder stuff on your clothes. 

I'm guessing I can store the ingredients in bulk.... I'm also going to try to start using now...get some practice and save some money!

SarahElf.
by on Feb. 21, 2009 at 7:38 PM

Quoting Dawnell:

I read somewhere that you can use ivory soap (bars) to make liquid detergent also.  I've never heard of the ones you mention here.  Does that sound right that I can use the Ivory?  Would I still use the same number of bars?

With a no electricity situation, liquid detergent would be better so you wouldn't have the little specks of powder stuff on your clothes. 

I'm guessing I can store the ingredients in bulk.... I'm also going to try to start using now...get some practice and save some money!

This is one version:

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf001033.tip.html

Melodee0119
by Group Admin on Feb. 21, 2009 at 8:34 PM

So I know these aren't homeade and I know they aren't that cheap but I thought some people may be interested in them since they are natural.  I have never used them but plan to in the near future(as soon as I am in my house)

http://www.laundrytree.com/

toady07
by Member on Feb. 21, 2009 at 9:12 PM

I have heard that the fels naptha bars have a lot of "Yucky" things in them - really really harsh stuff - so I use the zote bars - I love them - my clothes are so clean and they smell good and I use vinegar in the rinse cycle and my clothes don't smell like vinegar - I'm really suprised. I love it

wedding   

January 3, 2009

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)