Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Strangest Looks You've Gotten...

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:37 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 368 Total Views

So tonight, we bought 2 cases of tuna fish (24 cans in a case, so 48 cans total) and the cashier looked at us like we were NUTS!  It was priceless!  We figured that we use 2 cans (sometimes only 1 but that's rare) at a time, and use tuna at least once every other week, so that was the right amount for a year's supply for us.  So, yeah...the gals at Walmart were probably thinking we were some serious nut cases because all we bought were 48 cans of tuna, some bananas, and 15 lbs of ground turkey.  So yeah, I can only imagine what they were thinking.  It even beats the time when we bought 8 12 roll packs of TP at the same time.

So, what are the strangest looks you've gotten at the store when cashing out with your storage items????

- Clarisse

3 Years on Baby Step 2 and counting....                       How did I do it?  Check out my blog for my tips and tricks! 

Come Join Me at Food Storage 101 - emergency preparedness, recession proofing your family, and more!

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 11:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Merlyn0526
by Member on Feb. 14, 2009 at 12:06 AM

well i got a fabulous deal on benefiber at walgreens so i bought like 8 or 10 bottles of it and the cashier kinda looked at me funny. I have an intestinal problem and I have to take a fiber supplement i've discovered because apparently i don't get enough fiber in my diet to keep my tummy in line. so it works for me and i needed it and it was a great price so i went for it.

Pam

ReesesPieces
by Head Admin on Feb. 14, 2009 at 12:14 AM

Quoting Merlyn0526:

well i got a fabulous deal on benefiber at walgreens so i bought like 8 or 10 bottles of it and the cashier kinda looked at me funny. I have an intestinal problem and I have to take a fiber supplement i've discovered because apparently i don't get enough fiber in my diet to keep my tummy in line. so it works for me and i needed it and it was a great price so i went for it.

Pam

I've gotten 4 of those stick packs at a time at either Walgreens or CVS (can't remember which now) but they did give me a strange look.  But hey - that is some good stuff and the coupons and the sales make them free, so why not, right?! 

- Clarisse

3 Years on Baby Step 2 and counting....                       How did I do it?  Check out my blog for my tips and tricks! 

Come Join Me at Food Storage 101 - emergency preparedness, recession proofing your family, and more!

asil
by Member on Feb. 14, 2009 at 3:07 AM
HA! my strange look came when i was buying, all in one transaction:
Ovulation tests - for my sis
Pregnancy test - for me
Tampons - in case i wasn't preggo
Tylenol Woman - see above
prep-h wipes - for our old doggie
sympathy card - for a friend at work
chocolate donuts... - just because!
LOL, did I get the looks!
Normally I just get odd looks when I us coupons on trial size items, but i figure, they are things that i can put into my stockpile, for FREE so I may as well!

PROUD OWNER OF...
coupon/check trades and giveaways... come check out what new coupons are posted today! Printable links, hints and tips, and much much more!  http://www.cafemom.com/group/30682

gmums... a group for moms who use gdiapers, the best alternative to cloth for the environment. A fun and healthy way to use flushable diapers! http://www.cafemom.com/group/26255

ddh developmental dysplasia of the hip... a group for moms who have a child who has or has had ddh.  A group to share information, stories, successes and disappointments, and other information related to having a child with ddh.  http://www.cafemom.com/group/33384

Annie215
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 1:59 PM

The other day at the grocery store I had to buy dimetapp for my daughter who is sick.. the bottle was $5.79!!!  I happened to pass the "scratch and dent" cart and there were all these bottles of dimetapp that expire in July '09 and Nov '09 for 50 cents each!!! I totally bought 11 bottles (all they had) knowing full well that you can use them past the dates and they are still effective (for about a year I think)  anyway.. I only had one of the four kids with me, and I think the cashier thought I was going to drug her or something, LOL.

Annie

nattybelle
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 2:09 PM

When I bought my one year supply of toilet paper all at once.  Took two overfilled carts.  Maybe I should have spread that out lol.

Necha
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 2:16 PM

I bought 4-5 bags of corn meal once at Wal-Mart because it was cheep, and the lady looked at me like I was crazy! Then she said, "What are you doing with all the corn meal?" and I said, "It's food storage." and then she kind of got a confused look on her face and said "oh." It was funny to me. We buy stuff from Smiths Grocery all the time because they have case lot sales, and they don't think anything of it there! But Wal-Mart doesn't have case lot sales, so the lady thought it was very strange that I would be buying so much corn meal. lol.

Necha
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 2:19 PM

Quoting asil:

HA! my strange look came when i was buying, all in one transaction:
Ovulation tests - for my sis
Pregnancy test - for me
Tampons - in case i wasn't preggo
Tylenol Woman - see above
prep-h wipes - for our old doggie
sympathy card - for a friend at work
chocolate donuts... - just because!
LOL, did I get the looks!
Normally I just get odd looks when I us coupons on trial size items, but i figure, they are things that i can put into my stockpile, for FREE so I may as well!

That is hilarious. I probably would have laughed and asked you what it was all for. It looks like a "gag-gift" to me. Too Funny! 

RustysMom
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 7:34 PM

Here in Utah looks for large items like that are rare for me anyway...

Years ago we moved from a large home into a mobile home...with all our food storage...and 4 kids... We had no room to do so and the movers almost had a cow when we had them spit our storage between the 3 closets...thought they were going to die moving cases and buckets and large things around the house... it was very funny...

They did finally ask us if we were LDS... then it all made sense...

Grandma of 10skateboarding

luvmysoldier1
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2009 at 8:37 AM

I don't remember any wierd looks unless I mention food storage. One lady recently told me on cafe mom that she was not a fearful or paranoid person..LOL!

ValosGma
by New Member on Feb. 18, 2009 at 9:23 AM

With having 11 children I always got strange looks when I went to Walmart.  My DH and I would have 3 shopping carts packed as full as possible.  And then when we explained how many kids we were feeding the looks ranged from sympathy to shock to you should be locked up.  LOL  That is why I like Costco.  No one cares how much I buy.  :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)