Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I just found bugs in my brown rice! Why? HELP!

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 6:11 PM
  • 23 Replies
  • 9797 Total Views

Ewww! I found teeny tiny little bugs in my brown rice just now. I went to make it, and I had a thought "Look closely at it" so I did, and sure enough! There were little tiny bugs in it! It was in an opened #10 can with a plastic lid. It has been in my cupboard for a year probably. We don't use the brown rice that often. I checked the white rice, and the pasta and dry beans that were all right next to it, and they were fine...no bugs. I'm all itchy and crawly now! That is not going to help my "bugs in the food storage" dreams that I have been having. I have bags of rice in my food storage that isn't in #10 cans yet, and I am going to can it ASAP! I don't know why it would be in the brown rice and not the other food. It WAS organic rice. Would that be why?? Is there a better way to store my opened containers? Should I keep it in the freezer or something??

by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 6:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luvmysoldier1
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2009 at 6:20 PM

I don't know if brown rice attracts bugs more than white. The only advice I can give is that I put bay leaves in with my rice.   I can imagine how upset you are.

LovemyQ
by Member on Mar. 9, 2009 at 6:21 PM

Yikes!  I found little moth larvae squirming in my rice before (pre- stockpiling).  That is super gross!  LOL  So now I keep all my rice in plastic Tupperware (the actual tupperware) and haven't had a problem.

Except, that is not stockpiling.  I don't know what you should do, so I'll give you a bump.

luvmysoldier1
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2009 at 6:29 PM

That is exactlyt what I do. I keep my rice in Tupperware with bayleaves. I don't open them at all. I have a large bucket with bags of rice that I use every week. Tupp is for long term. Ikeep my beans in them too.

Quoting LovemyQ:

Yikes!  I found little moth larvae squirming in my rice before (pre- stockpiling).  That is super gross!  LOL  So now I keep all my rice in plastic Tupperware (the actual tupperware) and haven't had a problem.

Except, that is not stockpiling.  I don't know what you should do, so I'll give you a bump.

michiganmom116
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 6:31 PM

Okay, this might really gross you out, but I just put the rice in water.  The rice sinks and the bugs and larva float.  I pick them out, stir the rice, let it settle, pick any more out, etc. Then cook the rice and it's fine.   

I think food that is in plastic bags is more susceptible to the bugs finding a way inside.  I started keeping my rice/beans/lentils in jars that will hold up to 5 lbs. of food.

kokobeans
by Member on Mar. 9, 2009 at 6:38 PM

I agree with you, Rhonda.  I use glass jars, too.  Also, bay leaves.

What some of you may not realize is you can bring bugs home from the store.  Have any of you been to the back of a grocery store, where they keep all the stuff?  It's not horrible, but they move and move stuff around, no one sweeps in between, there's clutter here and there. 

Kokobeans

Necha
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 6:48 PM

But a sealed #10 can will keep them out right? That is what I am putting all of my rice in. Or will the eggs hatch INSIDE the can? There shouldn't be any O2 because I put oxygen absorbers inside. That is what I did with my beans. So could bugs live in there??

luvmysoldier1
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2009 at 6:49 PM

Sorry but yes, that does gross me out. It seems like it would not be possible to get every egg, larvae out. Besides, just knowing bugs were in it would make me lose my appetite even if it were safe to eat after picking them out.  By the way, I rinse the starch off my rice because it makes the texture better after cooking.

Quoting michiganmom116:

Okay, this might really gross you out, but I just put the rice in water.  The rice sinks and the bugs and larva float.  I pick them out, stir the rice, let it settle, pick any more out, etc. Then cook the rice and it's fine.   

I think food that is in plastic bags is more susceptible to the bugs finding a way inside.  I started keeping my rice/beans/lentils in jars that will hold up to 5 lbs. of food.

michiganmom116
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 7:00 PM

Quoting Necha:

But a sealed #10 can will keep them out right? That is what I am putting all of my rice in. Or will the eggs hatch INSIDE the can? There shouldn't be any O2 because I put oxygen absorbers inside. That is what I did with my beans. So could bugs live in there??

If the eggs are already in the bag, they will hatch inside the can.  Don't know how long they'd survive as larvae or adults without O2.

Know what?  Not to sound snotty or mean, but there are some starving people that would be grateful for any food, bugs or not.  For people that don't have the luxury of throwing food out, they just pick out the bugs and cook the food.  Sorry, but a few cooked dead bugs never killed anyone.  If you didn't know they were in there you'd never have thought twice about eating the rice and you wouldn't have gotten sick.  We've been to the point of "pick out the bugs and eat it because there isn't ANY other food."

luvmysoldier1
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2009 at 8:28 PM

Gratefully, we are not starving and do have the luxury of not having to pick bugs out of rice and eat it. The thought makes my skin crawl. But, to those who do not mind, to each his own.   Has anyone ever tried freezing rice...cooked or uncooked?   I just found this...I did not know you should eat rice within 24 hours.

Jasmine RiceJasmine rice is the base of almost all Thai dishes. Thai jasmine rice is fragrant, sweet and nutty, and should never be substituted with other types of rice. You can learn how to make the perfect batch of rice here: How to make rice article.

Storage: Store uncooked rice in a sealed container. Make sure to check the bag when you buy it that it does not contain rice-eating bugs. Once cooked, rice should be stored in the refrigerator and eaten within 24 hours. It’s very common to get sick off old rice, so if you’re unsure, just make a new batch.

Buy jasmine rice at TempleOfThai.com

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting Necha:

If the eggs are already in the bag, they will hatch inside the can.  Don't know how long they'd survive as larvae or adults without O2.

Know what?  Not to sound snotty or mean, but there are some starving people that would be grateful for any food, bugs or not.  For people that don't have the luxury of throwing food out, they just pick out the bugs and cook the food.  Sorry, but a few cooked dead bugs never killed anyone.  If you didn't know they were in there you'd never have thought twice about eating the rice and you wouldn't have gotten sick.  We've been to the point of "pick out the bugs and eat it because there isn't ANY other food."

Necha
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 8:40 PM

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting Necha:

I thought that too. I won't eat it. But I kind of wish I could send it to some people who would. I know that if I hadn't seen the bugs, I never would have known they were there, and I WOULD NOT have gotten sick-like you said. I called my dad because he is a "food storage buff" and he said that there are bugs in pretty much all food. The only reason it hatched in my rice is because it was organic, and so it wasn't sprayed with pesticides. So the larvae was still there. White rice is bleached, and so that kills the larvae too. Really, people eat a lot more bugs than they think. Especially if they eat meat...which I do. Meat---ALL MEAT--is crawling with worm larvae. I was reading something on it a few months ago about how there is no such thing as meat without worms any more. That is why it is SO IMPORTANT to cook your meat well. It is a horrible thought, but everyone who eats, eats bugs in one way or another! It's great that you can get over that complex! I have a hard time with it. It makes me itchy all over!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)