Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A dumb question?

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 7:09 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 312 Total Views

Okay, I read in this group a lot about storing water, and I guess my question is WHY?  Is this in case of no electricity or what?

We don't live in an area that gets hurricanes, earthquakes or a lot of tornadoes.  We have our own well.  We've lost electricity before but we've also decided to get a generator to power the pump and furnace at least. 

I'm just wondering....in what case would we need to use bottled water?

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 7:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
toady07
by Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 7:12 PM

my thought is incase the water supply has been contaminated and you can't use it for drinking or preparing foods I don't know about wells because I've never been in an area where that's what I use.  

Pregnancy ticker

jwaren
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 7:13 PM

I would think an extended power outage would be a huge problem even with a generator. I am guessing you are in michigan, which gets quite a bit of snow. What if you were without power for 2 weeks? Your generator wouldn't be able to last that long. And why waste the generator on flushing toilets etc. It is helpful to have on hand in case you have to turn the water off due to a main break etc.

Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

mommy4ever07
by Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 7:36 PM

Yup I also store incase our water isn't safe for drinking.

ReesesPieces
by Head Admin on Apr. 8, 2009 at 7:55 PM

I kinda wondered that from time to time myself, when growing up, but it only took once for there to be a big issue with the water main in town.  We were without water for a day, which isn't a big deal - unless the entire town you live in is without it too.  So naturally everyone was buying up all the bottled water at the grocery stores, and gas stations, and we were without water, so we had to go down to my mom's house for the day.   Not a HUGE problem, but what if something happened on a large scale?  What if the water source was contaminated.  There was a story on the news a couple months ago that some idiot at the water department hooked a water line up to a sewer line and yeah....you can imagine how lovely that was.  Glad it wasn't in our area, but still....So you just never know what could hapen and since water is the most basic necessity to sustain life, that's why it's a good idea to keep some on hand.  And believe me, you are never more thirsty in your life than when you turn on the faucet and nothing comes out.

Scarlett77
by Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 10:26 PM

The number 1 thing you need is water and making sure you have it seems vitally important.

There are lots of things that could go wrong, well could dry up at an inoportune time, the source of the water could get contaminated by sewage, oil, etc..., the pump could fail, or the water table could lower to the water could simply dry up with others using it. For me in a populated area, contamination by people pooping outside (since water isn't running to flush) and not knowing the rules would contaminate the water supply. God forbid a nuclear bomb (okay too much Jericho) would contaminate all water.

You never know and having my big drum downstairs just gives me a little added peace of mind. It really costs next to nothing for me to store yet would be priceless if I needed it.

I keep old soda bottles full of water even in the attic. I think of those people after Katrina living on their roofs so put a small stash of emergency supplies up there.  The possibilities are endless and I am a bit paranoid but it does make me feel better to know I covered one more thing.

-Amy

ziff130
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 2:19 PM

Last summer we were having a HUGE drought here. We were limited the amount of water and they kept saying we were almost out. I meant we were not allowed to use any water outside and some ppl were going over there limit and having to pay huge fines. Water had to be brought over in trucks from neighboring states to supply us w/ water. What if there wasn't anywhere else to get water? It was pretty scary for me and made me realize how much we really do need to store water. Even if there is enough to drink it can help flush the toilet and cook and make juice and cool-aid, brush our teeth, clean... etc. It's needed for so much and you just don't realize until you are on such a strict schedule for water.

Why do I walk? Please go here http://pandlsmithfamily.blogspot.com/2009/02/march-of-dimes-march-for-babies-09.html

sassymomntx1961
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2009 at 7:10 PM

Quoting Scarlett77:

The number 1 thing you need is water and making sure you have it seems vitally important.

There are lots of things that could go wrong, well could dry up at an inoportune time, the source of the water could get contaminated by sewage, oil, etc..., the pump could fail, or the water table could lower to the water could simply dry up with others using it. For me in a populated area, contamination by people pooping outside (since water isn't running to flush) and not knowing the rules would contaminate the water supply. God forbid a nuclear bomb (okay too much Jericho) would contaminate all water.

You never know and having my big drum downstairs just gives me a little added peace of mind. It really costs next to nothing for me to store yet would be priceless if I needed it.

I keep old soda bottles full of water even in the attic. I think of those people after Katrina living on their roofs so put a small stash of emergency supplies up there.  The possibilities are endless and I am a bit paranoid but it does make me feel better to know I covered one more thing.

-Amy

Would the water in a lg drum go stagnat after awhile? How can you keep the water from going bad even in ltr bottles or the water bottles you buy at wal-mart or juice bottles?

GOD first ppl next things last you cant go wrong and w/ GOD and JESUS around you,you will be a a triple strand rope

Scarlett77
by Member on Apr. 9, 2009 at 8:29 PM

Most water from city water services is already chlorinated so you don't have to add anything if you bottle it. If you bottle well water you have to add some chlorine. You can aerate the water by pouring from one bottle to another (that's purely for taste). It should stay pretty safe (if you need it your options are probably limited at this point anyway).  They do recommend changing the water once a year or so.   If you ever had a question about it you could boil it, add a few drops of chlorine or iodine. I also read about sun radiation.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)