Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How is everyone progressing?

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:26 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 251 Total Views

So, I thought it would be good if everyone did a quick update. Let's see. We ordered 3 buckets of hard white wheat, 1 bucket of navy beans and 1 bucket of split pees that we received last Friday. We also got a can of bacon, it's kind of small, and a wheat grinder. We already have 1 bucket of oats, 1 bucket of pinto beans and 3 of rice filled. We're wanting to fill 4 more buckets with rice and 1 more with oats. DH is wanting to get one of those can storage racks. I'm looking forward to that for all our can goods. Our garden is doing nicely and I've gotten a bunch of spinach and broccoli and a few strawberries from it. We should have some tomatoes, pees, and blueberries soon. Peppers don't look like they're doing as well. I also made a little herb garden but not quite sure what to do with them. Oh, we found a great deal on canning jars at Big Lots so we picked up some of those and I think we'll be getting some more soon. So, that's the update from me.

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 12:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
ReesesPieces
by Head Admin on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:04 PM

Well, a few weeks ago we hit our goal of having 6 months worth of food, toiletries, diapers, and household products.  We're still working on keeping it up and expanding it little by little.  I hit an AMAZING clearance on diapers, so we are about up to our eyeballs on them, but it's nice knowing that they're there, and we will most certainly use them since we still have 2 in them.  I have ordered a few more things from Honeyville Grain, but mostly just the fun stuff - blackberries, pineapple, banana chips, etc.  Our garden is doing GREAT.  We picked our first zucchini today and we've been eating spinach and peas for the last few weeks and we still have a ton left out there that will be ready soon.  I am planning on buying a pressure canner maybe later this month or early next month (depending on how things go) but I've been buying at least 1 case of canning jars each time I go grocery shopping.  I just put in my order for some blackberries that I'll make jam out of in August (when they come in).  My strawberry jam is almost gone because the whole family just LOVES it.  When we get our pressure canner I do plan on making a special purchase of like 50-60 lbs of chicken that I can can.  We will also work on doing some other experimental canning as we are able.

We are also thinking about making one of those can racks that you can just roll your cans down.  That would be so great, but we're having a very hard time finding somwhere to put it where it wouldn't be in the way, so we'll just have to see about that.

It's such a nice feeling that I can talk to you guys about all this stuff without getting the strange or the "you're such a nut-job" looks.  :o)

ahortiz5
by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 12:45 PM

hi,

I am doing good, food storage has been become my hobby, i am  organizing, and etc..

I did buy two new storage cabinets to put some food in.  They need to be put together soon.

I notice at the store, they were out of Ravoli in 10 cans. 

Looked at prices, and bought was cheap or sound like a good deal.

Got coffee cans, like 3 or  4 and some green teas , 4 ,but in small cans.  They were out of the big ones.  I also got some chocolate boxes, even if their price has gone up.  I need to buy now before they go up again.  I got three boxes of choc packets.  Bought some soap, like 3, not much, i don't think, i think they do 40 loads.  Someone was there stocking, so i could not pack up in my basket.  I got water on sale for 3 dollars a case, so i got six of them. 

I got lemonaide for the kids.  So they dont drink the water that i am storing.

Got to check and see what i am short on, what i need, and what i am missing in products.  I got rice and beans, but not in big bins.. big buckets.  They are still in little bags..

i got some storage bins for the rice, and beans.. etc

Still building up the water.  Kids got into it and i lost like 20 cases.  So i am building it up again, before they drink it.  i got them apple juice and orange juice, etc

So that is what i am doing.  Cleaning house, and keeping food cool,etc

Della

ocsosomom
by Member on Jun. 10, 2009 at 1:42 PM

We finally got to our 3-month worth of food storage, TP and kids' school unform for next year.  We're still slowly building our 6-month food storage goal and getting more school supplies when it's on sale.  Anyway, hubby doesn't want me to get more canned food due to the spaces...I'll have to be more organize which is my goal for this summer. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)