Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Food Saver 4th

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 10:55 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 167 Total Views

Well, sort of. The "holiday" started on the 3d for hubby (I had a class, and work until 2PM). Usually, we have a "date night" on the first Friday, but hubby decided he didn't want to go out, and nothing was thawed in time to cook for dinner.

So-- decided to try out food storage items (from the "3 month" storage)-- canned beef as the protein, frozen green beans, rice... and kimchi (not exactly from storage, but it's something "long term storage-ish"  I CAN make if I don't get too many snide comments from a certain large male in the house.  Added a handful of dry onions and dry celery, and ~ 1T of curry powder to the beef in a frying pan, then poured the green beans on top, covered, and heated until the beans were hot. Rice was cooked in a rice cooker. Hubby declared it all edible (and surprised about the beef being "actually pretty good").

The 4th-- cooked yams and teriyaki chicken in the solar oven; tried out our grill for the first time (charcoal, but it can use wood). Grilled corn on the cob, yellow squash and hot-dogs. Served it all with tomatoes from our garden (that I managed to pick before the rats got them). Hubby was again amazed at the solar cooker-- despite having had things cooked in it before, this was the first time he "watched" it do its thing.

We also got our Berkey water filter re-primed and the post-filters (for fluoride removal) in place, and I planted a couple of zucchini plants in a newly cleared area in our yard. Hubby is ripping out most of the old "landscaping" shrubs I put in years ago, as well as a lot that were there when we moved in about 20 years ago, and he's shredded most of it into mulch/compost. He also moved a baby banana plant out of its shaded plot to a newly cleared sunny spot last week-- and it already looks like it is getting new leaves; the plants give good bananas, or used to until the orange and apple trees blocked the sun from them, so hopefully it will be happy in its new home.

by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 10:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
ReesesPieces
by Head Admin on Jul. 6, 2009 at 1:28 PM

Wow, you guys were busy (and creative) this weekend!  Man, I am totally jeallous about the solar cooker and the fruit trees.  We have been thinking about getting some but I need to do a bit of research and see what grows well here, when you plant, how you take care of them, and all that good stuff.  So yeah....totally jeallous and amazingly proud of you guys for not only having all that cool stuff, but for eating 2 "storage" meals that were tasty!  That in itself is a feat around our house.  lol.  :o)

momofspuds
by Member on Jul. 6, 2009 at 2:37 PM

Quoting ReesesPieces:

Wow, you guys were busy (and creative) this weekend!  Man, I am totally jeallous about the solar cooker and the fruit trees.  We have been thinking about getting some but I need to do a bit of research and see what grows well here, when you plant, how you take care of them, and all that good stuff.  So yeah....totally jeallous and amazingly proud of you guys for not only having all that cool stuff, but for eating 2 "storage" meals that were tasty!  That in itself is a feat around our house.  lol.  :o)

Ditto!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)