Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Red Feather Brand Processed Cheese

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 1:01 AM
  • 12 Replies
  • 1806 Total Views

I was at Wal Mart today and over by the Velveeta I saw a canned cheese.  I looked at it for a while and then realized that it was the canned cheese that everyone kept talking about on here.  The Red Feather Brand Processed Cheese that is made in Australia.  It was $4.18 a can, pretty pricey, but you don't have to pay shipping!  And you are garunteed that your cans aren't dented when you buy it at the store and are able to inspect it.  I bought a can of it and tomorrow I'm going to open it up and see how it is.  If it shreds well, how it tastes, how it melts... stuff like that.  I'll give you an update of my review.  Have any of you tried this yet?  Have any of you found it at your Wal Marts?  Maybe it's out here in Idaho because more people are into food storage out here.  ???

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 1:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofspuds
by Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:56 PM

That is awesome!!! I can't wait until you review it and post how it was.  I will definetly be looking into that.

ReesesPieces
by Head Admin on Aug. 12, 2009 at 4:53 PM

Oh man, I'm going to have to look at our Walmart.  It'd be great if they had it so I could try it too.  Make sure to let us know how you like it and if it shreds, melts, or whatever else you'd do with cheese well. 

Melodee0119
by Group Admin on Aug. 12, 2009 at 5:47 PM

Which Walmart? Ammon, Broadway, or blackfoot

kimmykim
by Group Owner on Aug. 12, 2009 at 5:55 PM

It was at the Ammon one.  I'm going to go open it up right now and make a quesadilla out of it.  I'll be back in a few with what I think. 

Melodee0119
by Group Admin on Aug. 12, 2009 at 6:00 PM

Quoting kimmykim:

It was at the Ammon one.  I'm going to go open it up right now and make a quesadilla out of it.  I'll be back in a few with what I think. 

Thanks cause sometimes they just don't carry the same stuff. Also how long is the experation date on it?

kimmykim
by Group Owner on Aug. 12, 2009 at 7:01 PM

Here is the can before I opened it, it's 7.97 oz.  It says that it has 11 servings in the can, but I would say more like 1 ounce is a serving, so almost 8 servings.  But if you really like cheese, probably 4 servings.

I opened the can and was surprised at the texture of the cheese.  It is a lot firmer then what I was expecting.  Sort of like if you left a cheddar cheese out on the counter for 30 minutes. 

I had to open both ends of the can and then run a knife along the sides to get the cheese out of the can.  But, it was pretty easy to do.

It slices beautifully!  I tasted a slice, right out of the can and I think it's better than Velveeta.  It kind of tastes like a mixture between Velveeta, American and cheddar cheeses.  With the texture being closer to somewhere in between Velveeta and American.  It's a beautiful white color.

It shreds better than Velveeta!  I would say that it shreds just as good as cheddar cheese.  My kids kept grabbing handfuls of it as I was shredding it.  I also stuck some of the shredded cheese into a baggy and put it in the fridge to see how it is once cold.

I would say that it melts like Velveeta or American cheese.  It doesn't give you that "stringy" texture like a melted cheddar or mozzarella cheese would.  If I were to store it I would use it on grilled cheese sandwiches or in quesadillas like I made here.  Even to melt into a casserole or on top of a powdered egg omelet.  You could even use it just to eat on top of crackers.  I probably wouldn't use it on pizza, simply because it's like Velveeta and that texture on pizza wouldn't be very appetizing to me.  But, you certainly could use it that way if you wanted to.

My end review is that it is surprisingly delicious!  My kids loved it!  If you like Velveeta or American cheese, you'll like this.  If you are cheese snob, don't even bother.  But, in an emergency, with children that want grilled cheese sandwiches, this would be ideal!  I will for sure be buying more of it.  As for the expiration date thing, there isn't one on the can.  There is, however a code on the underside of the can that says "M 11709 14:20 S" so, if you can figure out what that means, let me know.  :)  As far as what I've read online, everyone says that the cheese will last for up to 10 years if kept in a cool place.  And I've even read that it is good "indefinitely".  So, at $4.18 for a can, I would store it, but use it sparingly in "emergency" situations.

Merlyn0526
by Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 7:16 PM

that code means it was manufactured on jan 17 2009 at 1420 military time which is 2:20 in the afternoon the s probably stands for sydney since it is an australian product.

Pam

kimmykim
by Group Owner on Aug. 12, 2009 at 7:48 PM

Quoting Merlyn0526:

that code means it was manufactured on jan 17 2009 at 1420 military time which is 2:20 in the afternoon the s probably stands for sydney since it is an australian product.

Pam

Thanks Pam, that makes sense!!

kimmykim
by Group Owner on Aug. 16, 2009 at 4:46 PM

By the way, it was still good after being refrigerated.  It didn't become rubbery or anything!

Dianne1259
by Bronze Member on Aug. 16, 2009 at 5:05 PM

Wow, that was something that was on my "to try" list so hopefully I will be able to find it here in PA.  If not, I may be sending you a Money Order!!!!! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)