Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Trying out "long term storage" food

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:34 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 269 Total Views

This past week, we've tried both the hard red and hard white wheat, just cooked up like rice (used our rice cooker). Just wheat and water, cooked until the rice cooker shut itself off.

The red definately has a stronger taste, and is "chewier" than the white-- family overall prefers the white, but is still OK with the red. I used the same ratio of grain to water for both. It may be that the red should have had more water when cooking, but when I reheated leftovers the next day, it didn't seem to absorb any more nor "soften".

Haven't tried making flour yet-- going to wait until it's about 20 degrees cooler, at least-- it's been in the mid to high 90s here, and that's no time to be baking!

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
ReesesPieces
by Head Admin on Aug. 29, 2009 at 9:47 PM

There's a recipe here that is for Chinese Fried Wheat (it's an old post so use the search option for "All Time" and you should be able to find it).  We really like that recipe with the hard red wheat.  My kids even ate it so that says something right there.  It's so much fun to try out food storage recipes and learn how to make it. 

The red wheat might do better if you soak it overnight before you put it in the rice cooker...might make it not quite so chewy.  Not sure, but we always soak ours overnight and then follow the fried wheat instructions.  HTH!

bodhikt
by Member on Aug. 30, 2009 at 1:00 AM

Quoting ReesesPieces: 

The red wheat might do better if you soak it overnight before you put it in the rice cooker...might make it not quite so chewy.  Not sure, but we always soak ours overnight and then follow the fried wheat instructions.  HTH!

I soaked it pretty much all day (about 9 hours) before turning on the rice cooker, so I doubt that that was the problem; the white only soaked a couple of hours-- took longer to cook, though. Nobody DISliekd the red-- just preferred the white, at least, as a whole-grain preparation.

I did make "fried wheat" the next day with the red-- with leftover kahlua pork, chopped onions, garlic, and the "jelly" that had collected around the meat. The wheat didn't seem to absorb any more liquid-- it pooled at the bottom of the serving bowl.

#2 son ate some of the left over white as a cereal the next morning-- but neglected to put the rest in the refrigerator, so it started fermenting (dogs will get in in their next batch of food).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)