Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My Fitness Journey

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 8:26 PM
  • 0 Replies
  • 206 Total Views

Tomorrow my daughter is 9 months.  It marks a big day in the milestone of health and fitness for me.  It has been a long journey, and I am not done yet. 

My pre-pregnancy weight was 160.  I found myself travel 75% of the time and unable to loose any weight no matter the work outs (there is a possible underlying thyroid problem under investigation).  I pretended to be a size 12 and squeezed into all my clothes.  I should have been wearing 14s.  As I go back to find a pic, I realize, I wasn't very photo genetic and those few years, there are hardly any pictures.  My legs were huge and I couldn't cross them.   

That is me on the right squeezing into my size 12 jeans.

I got pregnant and ended up at 175 lbs (after loosing plenty of morning sickness weight). I was put on bedrest for 6 weeks for high blood pressure.  I was depressed that at 27 years of age, I couldn't carry a baby full term because my body was not conditioned (despite the fact I worked out until the day of bedrest) 

At post partum I was 165 and my blood pressure still high.  At 3 month PP I was in my sisters wedding at 155 in dress that was made for a 18 year old prom queen.  I thought no matter how much running, crunches, or yoga I did the weight would never come off.  And that my stomach would never be the same. 

Me with my '00' sisters. 

I kept running, stayed on the DASH diet recommended by my doctor, and got myself a work out buddy and now I am at 135 (ish) and a size 8. Everyone says "9 months on; 9 months off".  It is true! I wanted it to disappear even at 6 months but it took lots of time and patience.  And now I can cross my legs!  (It is the small things). 

I thought 135 would be that magical number, where my blood pressure would be low, I would be in normal range for my BMI, and I would be in size 6 jeans.  But none of that happened.  So my journey continues.  It is a long debate between sexy vs. healthy, goal weight of 130 vs 125 , and is it at all possible to have thighs that don't touch?

My thighs are my biggest issue.  I lifted weights competivaly and built up muscle in High School.  I am not sure how to to undo the bulk.  Any suggestions would be greatly appericated!  I just want to look good in my running tights when spring arrives! 

On the bright side, my birthing hips were very effective and I have a beautiful baby girl to remind me to take care of myself!

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 8:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies:
There are no replies to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)