Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New Girl

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 11:14 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 296 Total Views
My oldest step-daughter (Jess) has CF.  We're constantly  fighting for full custody (we currently share with bio-mom) because she just won't take Jess's medical needs seriously.  She refused to take Jess to the CF Foundation for 7 years, and now only does it when my husband  goes to every visit to make sure.  It just gets so discouraging because she's such a bright light, and she loves so much.  I just don't see why anyone could not want to give the world for her. 

I just don't know what to do, because I can't imagine that her biomom doesn't want what's best for her, but she just keeps proving it again and again.  I just don't know how to convince mom that she either needs to step up to the plate and do her bit, or let us do it.  Jess just deserves the best from...well...everything...
by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 11:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
mommy2TZK
by Member on Apr. 15, 2007 at 1:20 PM
First of all welcome to our little group (I say little because as you see there are not many of us cf moms).

Second, you said you are in a custody battle for your step daughter, have you told the lawyers that her mom is neglecting her cf? This is a serious matter. In essence she is neglecting her child and should not have custody of her. I would definatly bring this up to the lawyers and judge. I would get all the records you can from the cf clinic to prove that she wont take her or hasn't in the past. If her mother continues to ignore the fact that she has cf she is putting her daughters life at risk. How often does she stay with her mom? and when she is there are you sure she is taking her meds? I don't mean to be so harsh but her mom is playing with this girls life. And the lawyers and judge need to know this.

How old is your step daughter anyway?
babysauce74
by on Apr. 17, 2007 at 12:18 AM
First of all, I agree with everything mommy2TZK said. Second though, I am not sure I am following the not taking her to the CF Foundation.....I have never taken my son to the CF Foundation either. Now, if you mean the local CF center, then I got ya, otherwise, do tell someone what it is like there~CF Foundation, I think its located in MD? I also find it hard to believe that the bio-mom would be able to keep her if she is not following up with her care since it is doctors' moral obligation to report this type of neglectful care. I am not saying I dont believe you, but, if the bio-mom is truly neglectful of her parental duty to provide this child with the best possible advocacy for her, then for this child's sake, get the doctors involved! Start building proof against her! Maybe she just needs some intervention/good lecture from the medical professionals to realize how important she is in the preventative maintenance of her child's disease. Best of luck....got a good lawyer?
wicked1
by on Apr. 24, 2007 at 2:55 PM
rry.  I mean the Center Clinic. Ours is here in Boise.  Now she takes her, but grudgingly and it's a fight to get her to follow their orders.  We are constantly fighting.  But everything is very hard to prove.  We have her now, but it's going to take about a year (from past experience) to get her into court.  We have Jess (she's 11 by the way) every other weekend and holiday and most of the summer, but it's like we fill all her time doing all the stuff her mother didn't.  We have to take her to the drs, and get all her meds scheduled out.  She'll do them by herself at home if I type her out a schedule, but she's on her own.  Her mother won't monitor or anything (you know how kids are- G, I think I won't do treatment today, don't feel like it).  And we pack calories on her while she's here (mom won't), but it's improving her health a ton- she just passed the 50th percentile in height and weight and we're so happy!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)