Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Discovery Elementary childcare

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 3:52 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 662 Total Views

Hi there,

My daughter is currently a pre-schooler at Harbor Montessori, and we are looking into options for the big K year. Her home school for public schools would be Discovery. I am back to full time job, and LOVE it that Harbor Montessori offers childcare before school. I see Discovery has a before school program through the YMCA, but it is at Purdy Elementary, and I am not too excited about the transportation from there to Discovery. Does anyone know of childcare offered near the school?

Hi to the other Harbor Montessori mom I saw posted on this group! My daughter, Kaisa, says she knows your kids, and that they are very nice. :) 

Thanks to anyone with suggestions, or info/opinions about Discovery. I've heard parents are generally satisfied with it.

Thanks!

Cartney

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 3:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
itchybees
by New Member on Dec. 18, 2008 at 11:52 AM

Hi,

my daughter emma is in your daughter's class - she is lovely! :)

In regards to childcare, i am working on that myself.  My daughter would go to discovery next year for Kindergarten too...and i am considering going back to work and am looking for childcare myself.  Where do you live?  We live in Rosedale Ridge off of 66th st.

I wish I had ideas - but - right now i am in the same place you are.  one thought is - we could share a sitter??

just throwing that out there.  if i don't hear back - i know you are not interested in exploring the idea :)

Ali Folz

kaisasmom
by Member on Dec. 19, 2008 at 11:15 AM

Hi Ali!

Who said this is a slow group? Sharing a sitter might work. It's going to sound silly, but Kaisa has never had a sitter- she has been in pre-school for two years, and other than that, just family members watching her, so I wouldn't know how to go about finding a good one.

I know Solice in room 1 will most likely go to Discovery, too. She is really close to Harbor Montessori. We are off 60th and Hunt- just on the other side of the ravine from that yucky construction project next to Harbor Montessori.

I just figure there must be somebody close with a good home daycare business? Or maybe not. :)

Well, I guess we have a few more months to figure it out, anyway!

Kaisa LOVES Emma! I haven't met her yet. :)

Thank you!

Cartney

mommy2charisse
by New Member on Dec. 21, 2008 at 4:52 PM

Have you considered checking at Chapel Hill to see if they have before school childcare?  I know they have preschool there, so maybe there's something that can be done that way.  And with it being right across the street from Discovery, it sure would be convenient!

Check out my blog!  http://weightwhat.blogspot.com/

kaisasmom
by Member on Dec. 22, 2008 at 11:43 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. :)

AndrewAidansmom
by New Member on Dec. 22, 2008 at 12:26 PM
Hi Cartney, My name is Erin Overaa.. I am a parent and assistant teacher at Harbor Montessori. I have lunch with Kaisa every day... She is such fun.. :) Have you thought about keeping her at Harbor for her big K year? We have after school childcare also... At 3:15 we go outside and then at about 3:45 we go down to the multi purpose room in the other building. We have several activities that keep the kids busy and many seasonal crafts. Please remember that K tuition is tax deductible as is the before and after care... If you would like more information please let me know I would be happy to talk to Jamie and Beth and get it sent to you. Another benifit for staying at Harbor is that we are like one big family... we look after all of the kids and worry about them as if they were our own. My oldest is currently a first year in the elementry program... he did 3 months pre-school and then spent his K year with in Room 3. I was so impressed with the progress he made... and watching him this year... the learning flood gates opened and I can't believe how quickly he is getting everything he is being taught. I can't wait to get my 2 year old potty trained so I can get him enrolled also. Enjoy the snow!!! Erin
itchybees
by New Member on Dec. 23, 2008 at 11:34 AM

Hi,

this is ali again. i called discovery...there after school program is at discovery- not Purdy.   did you know this?

call me if you want to talk more.  my number is in the directory,

merry christmas :)

ali (emma's mom)

kaisasmom
by Member on Dec. 23, 2008 at 10:51 PM

Thanks for the replies!

Geesh- I guess if I had looked at updated info on the PSD website I would have seen before and after school care was available on site at Discovery! Thanks! Last I had seen it was at Purdy.

Now I guess I just need to decide if Discovery or Harbor Montessori seems more reasonable. I haven't been involved at all this year in the classroom at HM. I think next time I have a day where I am not working, but Kaisa has pre-school, I will have to go in and get a feel for what the program really looks like. I'd like to go observe at Discovery, too. I imagine they might think I am a little over protective and odd, but really they have a monetary interest in having students attend since it affects their funding. 

If the traffic is not horrible, Kaisa and I may go to Pump It Up for their pre-school drop in program at 9 to blow off some steam- sledding is loosing its appeal. :) 

Thanks again!

Cartney

itchybees
by New Member on Dec. 24, 2008 at 10:29 AM

Hi Cartney,

i have a daughter in 1st grade at discovery and emma at HM.  I love both schools!  if you ever want to talk - let me know.  discovery would have no problem if you went to observe.  they are very welcoming and attentive to families needs.

ali

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)