Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Potty Training Support Potty Training Support

Potty Training 101 - 3 day method and more!

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:57 AM
  • 55 Replies
2 moms liked this

Here is a post for us to give advice to Moms who are potty training or getting ready to potty train.

Please share your best potty training tips!

fingers crossed

• See the replies below for tips on potty training.  Share your tips, too
  • Please feel free to start your own post on the group!
  • You may also want to see the tips listed here:  Potty Training tips!
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cafe Robin
by Group Admin on Feb. 20, 2011 at 11:03 AM
1 mom liked this

The 3 day Potty Training Method 
(from the post Lets begin!)

I recommend looking into the Lora Jenson Ebook at http://www.3daypottytraining.com/
Here are some highlights:

1. Start the process off by dressing your child in big kid underwear and a T-shirt only.
  2. Throw away all the diapers in the house - you both need to know there is no going back. 
  3. Give liquids and keep eyes on your child reminding them every 30 mins to tell you if they have to potty.
  4. When you catch them in the act, say yuck run to the potty, let them finish on the potty and praise their accomplishments.
  5. Finally give a snack without saying it's for using the potty and keep doing this every time you catch your child in the act.
  6. Once your child starts going in the potty when asked or by themselves, PRAISE them. Call a friend for more praise!
  7. That night stop liquids 2-3 hours before bed. At bed time, have them potty, dress them in underwear and put them to bed.
  8. Wake them the next morning just before their normal wake time and put them on the toilet. Start day two and three as you did day one.
  9. Good luck and happy potty training!

What you will need
(from the post What you will need!)

What you will need before you start!

* Your child’s favorite liquid and plenty of it!

* Your child’s favorite special snack (i.e. Fruit snacks, M&Ms, Crackers etc).

* Big Kid underwear, at least 20 pair. It will be helpful if your child helps pick out their favorite design. Do NOT purchase pull ups, this only confuses your child since pull-ups are diaper like. 

* Potty chair or potty seat

Cafe Robin
by Group Admin on Feb. 20, 2011 at 11:04 AM
1 mom liked this

(From this post on the group:  Are you ready??)

Are You Ready?

This is even harder to determine than if your Child is ready! I know the thought of no diapers is very appealing but are you ready to give up 3 days, are you ready for the mess and are you determined enough to NOT give up once you start? If you answered no to any of these questions then you may not be ready.

You have to give up 3 days for this method to work. You must devote the 3 potty training days to your child. You will not be able to leave the house for shopping excursions, play on your PC while your child is 2 rooms away or even be away from your child except for very short burst of time. You need to keep your eyes on your child at all times!

**In addition, if you have other children at home it is suggested that you have help or send that child to a sitter so that your focus is on your potty training child**

Most IMPORTANTLY once you start this method you CAN’T stop! Even if you start to get discouraged you need to stick with it. By stopping you will only be confusing your child; they need to know that using the potty is the only option. If you do give up it may be even harder next time you start the potty training process.

Is Your Child Ready?
(from the post Readiness Test!!)

Children’s Readiness test!

Before starting this test you MUST omit the bedtime bottle/ sippy your child may be receiving. In order for this test to work your child needs to have a reasonably empty bladder. You need to break the bedtime bottle/ sippy before starting to potty train.

Once your child is no longer taking in liquid before bed you are ready to administer the true readiness test to determine if your child is really ready to potty train.

Let the test begin!!

* First Stop giving your child liquids about 2 hours before bedtime.

* Put a dry diaper on your child just before placing child in bed for the night.

*First thing in the morning, right before your child is fully awake, check their diaper. If the diaper is dry then he is ready.  You must check before your child is fully awake because most bedwetting is done once the child is first awake.

Signs your child may be ready:
(from the post:  Is your child READY to be potty trained?)

• Your child is staying dry for longer periods of time (often two hours or more). This indicates that her bladder capacity is increasing.
  • Your child recognizes when she is in the process of urinating or voiding. If you try to potty train before this time, you'll likely run into trouble, since your child isn't really aware of what she's doing and so is unable to control something she can't understand.
  • Your child is able to easily pull her pants up and down. She may not have had any reason to do so in the past, but luckily, of all the readiness factors, this skill is easily learned.
  • Your child can follow simple instructions. There are many steps to using the toilet that we take for granted as adults. For example-- go to the bathroom, turn on the light, pull down your pants and underwear, sit on the potty, wipe your bottom, flush the toilet, wash your hands-- the list goes on, so this is a very important skill.
  • Your child is able to sit and engage in an activity for several minutes without becoming distracted or irritable.
  • Your child is walking and running well. Because the urge to potty is often sudden in toddlers, and because a potty isn't always steps away, it's important for your child to be able to make it to the toilet before an accident occurs.
  • Finally, and perhaps most importantly, your child shows interest and desire. Interest in keeping dry or clean. Interest in wearing "big kid" underwear. Interest in what you're doing when you go potty and a desire to do what you're doing.

Remember, age is not the most important factor. Potty training will be best accomplished when your child's physical and emotional development are taken into account as well.

Check out theis post on our group, too:
Is your Child Ready...Questions??

angel11111
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 1:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Here is what we did my DS is 2 1/2 and we have him fully potty trained it took us 4 months but we got it done he is pee, poop, and night trained. We got rid of the diapers period! It took us 4 months becuase we kept putting him in pull ups and he just thought of them as diapers so we starting just putting him in underware and once we went stright to underware he was pee trained in a week, when he has to pee and he can't get there by himself he will say mama pee or dada pee, if he has to poop he will say poop and he is also behind on his speech but he was able to pick up these words pretty easily. At first we where still putting him in pull ups for bed time but we decided that we did not want to keep wasting money on them so we cut him off of drinking at 7 (his bed time is 830) and before bed we put him on the toilet to poop and pee and then brush his teeth then he goes to bed and he wakes up dry every morning. You can try the three day method but I chose to do it my own way and it worked almost like the three day but it took a couple weeks instead of 3 days.

bamababe1975
by on Feb. 28, 2011 at 9:23 PM

My #1 tip is to BE PATIENT! I promise you, the harder you push, the harder it will be because potty training is the one thing they feel they can control, usually, and they'll fight you just as hard as you try. 

For my own two, buying special panties with Tinkerbell or Disney Princesses on them was incentive enough to make them start trying. I let them run around naked during the day because I was a stay at home mom and we had hardwood floors throughout for easy cleanup. I only had to clean one wet mess the entire time I trained, though, and both girls trained at once since they're only 11mos apart.

RobynS
by on Mar. 1, 2011 at 3:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Underwear, underwear, underwear. That's my best tip. Skip the pull-ups!

mrssmitley1210
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:10 PM

My biggest one that we use in our classroom is NO PULL UPS. Wetting in the underware may make more laundry but the pull up pulls the moisture away from the body like a diaper. Being in we underware makes most kids uncomfortable. Im just letting my son run around naked right now. Also once you start dont stop. Its confusing. It may take 3 days and it may take 12 months but eventually they WILL go potty!

Good Luck Everyone and have a wonderful potty training journey!

pinkm143
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 7:31 PM

Never use pull ups!  They teach a child it's ok to pee in something they pull up, just like they pull up underwear.  Kinda counter productive!

pinkm143
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 7:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Start potty training from day 1!  Well not day 1 but as soon as your child is walking.  I don't mean have them use the potty but when you are DH are going have the child in there with you and tell them what is going on.  This helps soooooo much. Also start taking the poop and flushing it with a gentle reminder that big kids/moms/dads go poop and pee in the potty. 

This will help soooo much when their body is finally ready because they already know what goes on in there!

lukesmyboy
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 7:44 PM

I say really start from day one!!! My son went potty for the fist time when he was an hour old. We have talked about going potty and given him chances to pee from birth! We keep his diaper dry as much as we could checking it often when he wore one so he didnt get used to being wet.

Quoting pinkm143:

Start potty training from day 1!  Well not day 1 but as soon as your child is walking.  I don't mean have them use the potty but when you are DH are going have the child in there with you and tell them what is going on.  This helps soooooo much. Also start taking the poop and flushing it with a gentle reminder that big kids/moms/dads go poop and pee in the potty. 

This will help soooo much when their body is finally ready because they already know what goes on in there!

LovesFredric
by on Mar. 6, 2011 at 6:09 PM
Be positive about accidents! They happen & use them to encourage/remind how your child will do better next time!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)