Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Potty Training Support Potty Training Support

Potty Training 101 - 3 day method and more!

Posted by   + Show Post

Here is a post for us to give advice to Moms who are potty training or getting ready to potty train.

Please share your best potty training tips!

fingers crossed

• See the replies below for tips on potty training.  Share your tips, too
  • Please feel free to start your own post on the group!
  • You may also want to see the tips listed here:  Potty Training tips!
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:57 AM
Replies (21-30):
shelle21
by on Mar. 23, 2011 at 11:52 AM

I am very new to this because this is my first child. I think it is time because she tells me every time that she has to potty and knows whenever her diaper is wet. I was wondering how do you get her to understand that she has to sit on the potty to use the bathroom? She just thinks the potty is a chair and doesn't use the potty. I could really use some advice on how to get her to use the potty instead of using the potty as a play toy?

bhwrn1
by on Mar. 23, 2011 at 1:21 PM

great tips here!

mrsbvader
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 9:58 AM

Quoting irishmom9700:

The three day method sounds great, but what if your never home for three straight days. My son is in school 5 days and on the weekends there are always things to do with my other 2 kids.  Help!

I would say go ahead and leave the house - but maybe put a plastic bag under the child in the car seat, and try to go places with bathrooms close by. And take plenty of extra clothes and undies with you!!  I am starting day 1 today and will be going out to dinner with my parents tonight (my dad is getting home from being out of town for awhile) and this is what I will be doing.

sunnymommy122
by on Apr. 5, 2011 at 11:53 AM

Here is another take on the 3 day method that I just got in my e-mail.  This 3 day method includes the use diapers/pull-ups.  Anyway, thought it might help someone. :)

http://www.babycenter.com/0_potty-training-in-three-days-or-less_10310078.bc?page=1

anniebela200
by on Apr. 5, 2011 at 9:45 PM

i have one question tho my daughter will pee during the day without a diper on and one day she did go to sleep without a pamper on but she woke up the next morning all wet she was scared but i got mad after word i felt bad for yelling at her, now she just wants the pampers . what do i do to get her to sleep with only panties on.. 

sunnymommy122
by on Apr. 7, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Just saw information about potty training by noon...  Thougth I would share.  It's claim is that your child can be potty trained in a few hours!  It's less than $10.  Here is the link:

http://www.pottytrainingbynoon.com/

LovesFredric
by on Apr. 7, 2011 at 12:39 PM
I would tell her sorry for yelling at her & that you know it was an accident & you won't act that way again. Give her lots of encouragement. Accidents ate definitely going to happen so you have to prepare yourself for that. If you're going to get mad, try to go to another room & come back when you're calm & maybe she can even help you clean it up. Hang in there :)

Quoting anniebela200:

i have one question tho my daughter will pee during the day without a diper on and one day she did go to sleep without a pamper on but she woke up the next morning all wet she was scared but i got mad after word i felt bad for yelling at her, now she just wants the pampers . what do i do to get her to sleep with only panties on.. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alyssia123
by on Apr. 8, 2011 at 5:45 AM
My daughter is 25 months. I tried potty training this last october (just to give her an idea. It went no where.
Well she has a favorite doll and we put the doll on her potty and (without my daughter realizing it) put some water in the potty.
She was so excited, she started using her potty after that. She does great minus the fact that she poops halfway, says she's done, then stands up :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Totalmommy
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 6:36 PM

Thanks - I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has contributed to this post.  I have been tentative to start my daughter's training.  Not really sure on the steps to start even though I have done proper research.  I joined CafeMom a couple days ago and just pulled away from this a couple key things to start my 28 month who I can tell is nearly if not there to start her potty training.

1.  I will be skipping the Pull ups:). That will probably be best for both of us!

2.  Can't forget that Sheet cover for possible/even probable night time accidents

3.  Rewards.  - I'll choose those !

4.  I knew I was going to be using easy pull down pants but now I might even just be doing the underwear and a t-shirt...:)..and I'll probably let her choose. 

5.  Finally, I will also devote at least the first day to this.  (possibly 3:) 

Thank you all, this has been a really big help for a topic that I have been a little baffled on how I was gonna approach! 

violetgirl
by on Apr. 17, 2011 at 7:00 PM

My son is about 2 1/2 years old, and this is what worked for both me and him:

1)  I hid all the diapers and pull-ups out of my son's sight.  I didn't want to throw them all out completely, because I have a baby due this summer and want to keep the diapers for her.

2)  I used waterproof mattress covers for his bed and the couch, and a pet stain remover (only one I had on hand, since I have pets) for the rugs.

3)  I put son in underwear (no pants), and a shirt.  I had trouble seeing the beginning of an accident when he had pants on, and it was important to catch him on mid-accident so I could run him to the bathroom each time.  There were a lot of accidents the first day - at least 10, maybe more - but during the 2nd half of the day, it clicked.  He knew to run to the bathroom and recognized his body signals.

4)  I had to consistently tell my son that he needed to keep his underwear dry, and had to consistently ask him if he needed to go potty every 5 minutes.  Most of the time I asked him, he'd say no, but every so often he'd say ok, and he'd go.

Here are the methods that were suggested to me in the past but NEVER worked for my son:

1)  Putting him in the potty every ___ minutes.  My son got angry at this because he hated being put in the potty when he didn't have to go.  It got to the point where he hated the potty.

2)  Setting a timer for every ___ minutes for a potty reminder.  Again, if my son didn't have to go, he won't go.

3)  Keeping him in the toilet until he had to go.  To him, it felt like punishment (no matter now many toys he had around him).  If he doesn't have to go, then doesn't want to sit in the toilet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN