Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Potty Training Support Potty Training Support

Potty Training 101 - 3 day method and more!

Posted by   + Show Post

Here is a post for us to give advice to Moms who are potty training or getting ready to potty train.

Please share your best potty training tips!

fingers crossed

• See the replies below for tips on potty training.  Share your tips, too
  • Please feel free to start your own post on the group!
  • You may also want to see the tips listed here:  Potty Training tips!
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 10:57 AM
Replies (31-40):
1lovjulianna
by on Apr. 17, 2011 at 7:51 PM

I've been wanting to start potty training for about 6 months now, my daughter will be three in june, shes very smart, she knows when shes going to the bathroom, she doesn't like to be wet...but she refuses to go on the potty, i bought a little pretty pink one thinking it would help, she liked it for a couple days and is back to refusing to go on it, she likes the idea of underwear but i just cant imagine doing the 3 day potty trainging technique because i feel bad being so strict, but its definitely time :) thanks for all the great tips, this is becoming a case of mom not being ready not child!! and my step son is 6 and still wets the bed about half of the week so he wears pull ups at night, he understands why, because he can't controll his bladder when hes sleeping, is this going to be confusing for my daughter? I'm definitley feeling alot more confident and ready after reading all of everybodys posts thankyou so much :) and good luck to all the current trainers!

SylwiaH
by on Apr. 17, 2011 at 8:25 PM

put your kid on the potty as soon as they can sit. My daughter is 13 months old and number 2 trained. We do cloth diapers so having no poopy ones helps a lot. At home, i put her on the potty each time I would have to go. After getting up, coming from outside into the house, eating or drinking a lot etc. When we are driving, she will start cry when she has to do number 2. 

angelmom0405
by on Apr. 19, 2011 at 7:30 PM

i usually am very busy so i use the padded underwear and plastic pants over top that way it wont be too bad if they have an accident in public. just pack extra clothes, wipes and a few extra undies and plastics. it works great. oh and a plastic bag to put dirty undies in till u get home! hope this helps

Armywife87407
by on Apr. 26, 2011 at 11:55 PM

Just wanted to thank the three day potty training program tips they been helping 2 days of pottying down with only one accdent so far so good thanks again. So proud of my big girl

pinkm143
by on Apr. 28, 2011 at 1:51 PM

We took ours to the potty with us as soon as the could walk in and follow.  I think this really helped getting my 2 trained early because they knew what was happening in the potty and when their body was ready so were they!

Quoting SylwiaH:

put your kid on the potty as soon as they can sit. My daughter is 13 months old and number 2 trained. We do cloth diapers so having no poopy ones helps a lot. At home, i put her on the potty each time I would have to go. After getting up, coming from outside into the house, eating or drinking a lot etc. When we are driving, she will start cry when she has to do number 2. 

bhwrn1
by on Apr. 28, 2011 at 3:00 PM

Agreed!

Quoting RobynS:

Underwear, underwear, underwear. That's my best tip. Skip the pull-ups!

Lilypie

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE, REPURPOSE...

spinning globerecycling sweetpeaturning into globeplant a treechanging light bulb

Meditate on your own Self. Worship your Self. Respect your Self. God dwells within you as you.”  Swamni "Baba" Muktananda

bhwrn1
by on Apr. 28, 2011 at 3:01 PM

LOL! Guess there's no need for me to repost these! LOL!

Quoting Cafe Robin:

by bhwrn1  Group Mod - Brooke on Mar. 1, 2011 at 5:58 AM

Take the child's lead and do not push. If they are not ready it makes it so much harder.

take them to the store and let them pick out underwear

layer the bed: waterproof mat, sheet, repeat. So if they wet the bed, you can just peel off the top layer!

Lilypie

spinning globerecycling sweetpeaturning into globeplant a treechanging light bulb

Meditate on your own Self. Worship your Self. Respect your Self. God dwells within you as you.”  Swamni "Baba" Muktananda

bhwrn1
by on Apr. 28, 2011 at 3:03 PM

So glad this post has been helpful.

Quoting Totalmommy:

Thanks - I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has contributed to this post.  I have been tentative to start my daughter's training.  Not really sure on the steps to start even though I have done proper research.  I joined CafeMom a couple days ago and just pulled away from this a couple key things to start my 28 month who I can tell is nearly if not there to start her potty training.

1.  I will be skipping the Pull ups:). That will probably be best for both of us!

2.  Can't forget that Sheet cover for possible/even probable night time accidents

3.  Rewards.  - I'll choose those !

4.  I knew I was going to be using easy pull down pants but now I might even just be doing the underwear and a t-shirt...:)..and I'll probably let her choose. 

5.  Finally, I will also devote at least the first day to this.  (possibly 3:) 

Thank you all, this has been a really big help for a topic that I have been a little baffled on how I was gonna approach! 

Lilypie

bhwrn1
by on Apr. 28, 2011 at 3:05 PM

I don't think so. Does she even know he wears them at night? It is totally  normal for children up until age 7 even 8,9,10 to have a hard time controlling their bladder at night. May I ask if you have taken him to the doctor to see if something else is going on?

Quoting 1lovjulianna:

I've been wanting to start potty training for about 6 months now, my daughter will be three in june, shes very smart, she knows when shes going to the bathroom, she doesn't like to be wet...but she refuses to go on the potty, i bought a little pretty pink one thinking it would help, she liked it for a couple days and is back to refusing to go on it, she likes the idea of underwear but i just cant imagine doing the 3 day potty trainging technique because i feel bad being so strict, but its definitely time :) thanks for all the great tips, this is becoming a case of mom not being ready not child!! and my step son is 6 and still wets the bed about half of the week so he wears pull ups at night, he understands why, because he can't controll his bladder when hes sleeping, is this going to be confusing for my daughter? I'm definitley feeling alot more confident and ready after reading all of everybodys posts thankyou so much :) and good luck to all the current trainers!

Lilypie

Mom0413
by on May. 16, 2011 at 6:09 PM

Hello, I saw your post. I am having a hard time trying to potty train my 2 year old DS. Is there any advice/help you can give me so I can get my DS potty trained as fast as you got your DS potty trained? I need all the help with this that I can get.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN