Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you think potty trained means?

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:09 AM
  • 6 Replies

I think being potty trained means the ability for my child to know he has to go and let me know.  I used the 3 day method and considered my son to be potty trained when it was over even though he had a few accidens (accident free for 4 months now!) and still wants me or his dad to take him.  He pretty much does everything himself, but we make sure he cleans up and wipes properly. 

I have a friend whose son has been potty trained for a year, in my opinion, but she says that he's not because he doesn't go by himself, yet.  What do you all think? 

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
ardiaxe
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:17 AM
I think that you are either potty trained or completely potty trained. Completely trained would mean dry at night, and using the toilet independently. That's just my thoughts on the matter.

lukesmyboy
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:26 AM

I use elimination communication so I am coming from a different point of view. I think when My child is diaper free day and night with out regular misses. My daughter was 100% diaper free at 6 months and my 11 month old is about 80% (he is a car pooper haha)

Godspitgrl
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:52 AM
I think if he have one or zero accidents a day they are potty trained. I don't think it matters if you have to wipe for them or not because it's for their health that they are properly wiped.
mrssmitley1210
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:43 PM

I consider potty trained when most of the time they are going on the potty. Accidents happen and sleep training is the hardest. My kids have to be going accident free all day and stay dry in their diaper every night for a month before I will take the diaper away at night and consider them fully potty trained.

pinkm143
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 7:46 PM

Potty trained to me is are they telling you and going when they need during the day (esp in the case of boys).  Many boys aren't night trained until 6-7 (even later).

bhwrn1
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:23 PM

I think the child needs to be able to know they need to go, to tell you and then you can help them if they need it. I don't think they have to be able to do the entire process on their own.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)