Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Our 2 year old refuses to use the potty....but pees in the tub almost every night!

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:59 PM
  • 11 Replies

He just turned 2 in December (we didn't get our 5 year old potty trained until almost age 3). We have the potty chair out in the bathroom and every night before he gets in the bath- we sit him on it or stand him in front of it. He will say pee pee....then get mad until we put him in the bath where he pees almost every night! I am not going to push him if he isn't ready but how can we keep him from peeing in the tub??

Photobucket
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lukesmyboy
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:28 PM
I let my son pee in the shower cause it was easy to clean when he was learning and had no aim!
I am not a control freak when it comes to things like this. I would let him pee in there and the get him fresh water.

It's probably something he had been doing for a very long time, Peeing in the tub, and you never even knew it. The warm water does that. I wouldn't fight it, its not like he is Peeing himself.

Just a thought though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrssmitley1210
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:44 PM

Honestly most kids pee in the tub. As long as they dont poop you really dont have to worry about it. If they poop your supposed to empty the tub, take it out, sanitize the tub, and sanitize the toys

Godspitgrl
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 5:36 PM

i dont know for sure but it might be to early for him. I know DH didn't trian till 30 months. But I know the frustration about the bath water. I think its a guy thing about when it gets wet, kinda like when they get air down their esp as a newborn and they will pee. I say this cause DH will get in the shower and all the sudden have to go. I always make him clean the tub before I will bathe cause he will just pee in the shower instead of getting out. You can try and before he gets in wet the tips of your fingers and splash his mister a little to see if that helps. 

pinkm143
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 7:49 PM

Have you tried running the water while he's on the potty or taking a warm cup of hte water and pouring it down his belly while he's on the potty?  Usually these are 2 things that "make" kids need to go which could be why he's doing it in the tub every night :-)

bhwrn1
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:29 PM

i let my kids do it, even used the drain as practice! he may not be ready otherwise so i would go with this for now

ardiaxe
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:55 PM
Peeing in the tub is a step forward, he recognizes the urge and feels comfortable doing it. My son did the same thing, and still does it. He is potty trained now, but the peeing in the tub was my first sign that he was ready to start training
sunnymommy122
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 10:06 AM

Yeah, I feel the same way....

Quoting lukesmyboy:

I let my son pee in the shower cause it was easy to clean when he was learning and had no aim!
I am not a control freak when it comes to things like this. I would let him pee in there and the get him fresh water.

It's probably something he had been doing for a very long time, Peeing in the tub, and you never even knew it. The warm water does that. I wouldn't fight it, its not like he is Peeing himself.

Just a thought though.

janessa27
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 10:44 AM

Quoting lukesmyboy:

Just a thought though.

It wouldn't be an issue- but more often than not his 5 year old brother is in there when he does it! He never stands a pees, it is as soon as he sits down. Maybe I could start putting him in there first- while the water is running.

janessa27
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 10:45 AM

Quoting pinkm143:

Have you tried running the water while he's on the potty or taking a warm cup of hte water and pouring it down his belly while he's on the potty?  Usually these are 2 things that "make" kids need to go which could be why he's doing it in the tub every night :-)

Good idea- thank you I will try this:)

lukesmyboy
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 10:54 AM

HAHA My older son would not be happy about that either! I would try putting him in first! haha

Quoting janessa27:

Quoting lukesmyboy:

Just a thought though.

It wouldn't be an issue- but more often than not his 5 year old brother is in there when he does it! He never stands a pees, it is as soon as he sits down. Maybe I could start putting him in there first- while the water is running.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)