Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

dont know what to do

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:04 PM
  • 12 Replies

Potty training my son is been a problem, I can get him to pee in the toilet if I keep on top of him about it,but forget about pooping because he will sit on the toilet but wont go and as soon as he back in his underwear he will go..grrr...

With peeing its confusing as well because there were times when he came and told me he had to go,then there was one day when he went all by hisself without me having to say anything or help him,and the next day he was back to me having to tell him to go. He pee standing up for a week now he wants to sit. He also went thorugh a thing where he would tell me he had to go when we were out somewhere we went a lot the library or store doesnt do it anymore.

Im starting to pull my hair out help!

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lukesmyboy
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:20 PM

Is there a problem with you having to suggest he go?

As for the pooping. If you think he is really needing to poop when you put the undies back on I would watch him cloesly and at the first sign of him starting to poop get him back into the bathroom.

mrssmitley1210
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:34 PM

Pooping and night are the hardest things to train. He might just be trying to figure out which way he is most comfortable going potty by going back and forth between sitting and standing. I would just gently remind him every 30 minutes or so that its time to go sit on the potty. If he doesnt want to wait a few minutes and remind him again. If he pees on the floor dont get upset with him just say its ok accidents happen. My son just pooped on his bedroom floor then came out and peed on the floor right in front of his potty. He helped me clean it up, not because I asked him to, but because he wanted to.

Cafe Robin
by Group Admin on Mar. 2, 2011 at 4:45 PM

I went through the same thing with my kids!

Definitely keep on top of him and keep reminding him.  I had to do that for a while with my oldest - only when he was busy doing something, though.  If he was playing with his toys or watching tv, he'd just go in his pants!  He never seemed to mind either!

I agree with also letting him put his underwear on and them watching him closely.  As soon as you think he may be getting ready to go, rush him to the potty.  He'll get it:)  Also, there may be a time of time that he's more likely to have to poo - so keep an eye out for that too so you know what you need to really watch closely.

fingers crossed

JonsBabyGirl
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 5:15 PM

I dont have a problem telling him to go but shouldnt he be able to do it on his own..for pooping I do do that, I try to chaught him to put him on the potty

JonsBabyGirl
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 5:17 PM

He hasnt really had a peeing problems yet but 2 otherwise I do ask him every 20-30 mins to go depending on if he drank anything and how much I also make him go before we leave to go somewhere when we get somewhere and before bed and when he wakes up

lukesmyboy
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 5:22 PM

I think its normaly for little ones to be reminded. Sounds like if you remind him hes is doing great. Eventually he will start telling you otherwise I would just keep taking/reminding him.

Godspitgrl
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 5:32 PM

How old is he? Sounds like he might not be quiet ready. I went through this with DS the 1st time I tried. While its good to encourage and not tell him you wont take him I would not push it. He is obviously starting to get the concept but he might be emtionally ready for it (for lack of a better way of putting it)

pinkm143
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 7:53 PM

Is he going about the same time each day?  My son didn't want to poop on the potty at the beginning but he was very regular so I just kept him naked one day until I knew he really had to go and put him on the potty and then CELEBRATED LIKE CRAZY :-)  He got ice cream for that!

bhwrn1
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 8:32 PM

Sounds like he still needs prompting from you. Also, how old is he?

sunnymommy122
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 10:03 AM

I agree...  He probably needs your help to remind him to go.  It takes time for them to learn the signs that their body is communicating to them that they need to go.  Also, kids are too distracted to pay attention sometimes, too. 

Quoting lukesmyboy:

Is there a problem with you having to suggest he go?

As for the pooping. If you think he is really needing to poop when you put the undies back on I would watch him cloesly and at the first sign of him starting to poop get him back into the bathroom.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)