Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Potty Training Support Potty Training Support

re-training regressed 2 yr old girl

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2011 at 1:44 PM
  • 13 Replies

Our daughter Maggie was trained just after her second birthday. She was doing great! in underwear all day, except naptime. Naptime and bedtime she wore pullups. then she started having like an accident a day. then it got to be a couple a day. And then she just quit using the potty altogether! I finally quit fighting her and left her alone. She's been in pullups full time for 3 months now. We have a 4.5 yr old, and an 11month old too. She's the only girl. I bought diapers and her pullups today and realized how expensive it was getting and decided to get her back on track. But i'm not sure how to start. she doesn't tell me when she needs to go potty anymore, she used to. she doesn't tell me when she needs to be changed even. She'll sit in a poopy pullup until we figure out its her that stinks! she's very bright and talks well. She knows where the potty is and what its for. She can dress, undress, and pull her pullup up and down by herself. She'll be 3 in june. any advice?

ladybug

by on Mar. 5, 2011 at 1:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cafe Robin
by Group Admin on Mar. 5, 2011 at 2:42 PM

She is adorable!!

I'd say start again and try to get her potty trained.

You may want to try this 3 day method to get it overwith quickly:)

Here are those step to follow to get her potty trained again:

1. Start the process off by dressing your child in big kid underwear and a T-shirt only.
  2. Throw away all the diapers in the house - you both need to know there is no going back. 
  3. Give liquids and keep eyes on your child reminding them every 30 mins to tell you if they have to potty.
  4. When you catch them in the act, say yuck run to the potty, let them finish on the potty and praise their accomplishments.
  5. Finally give a snack without saying it's for using the potty and keep doing this every time you catch your child in the act.
  6. Once your child starts going in the potty when asked or by themselves, PRAISE them. Call a friend for more praise!
  7. That night stop liquids 2-3 hours before bed. At bed time, have them potty, dress them in underwear and put them to bed.
  8. Wake them the next morning just before their normal wake time and put them on the toilet. Start day two and three as you did day one.
  9. Good luck and happy potty training!

Good luck!!

fingers crossed

mrssmitley1210
by on Mar. 5, 2011 at 2:47 PM

Just start over. Remind her every 30 minutes or so. Use a reward system. Meaning whatever you need it to be weather its clapping and chearing every time she uses the potty or stickers on a board, or a special treat if she uses the potty all day. My daughter potty trained right after he second birthday too. About 6 months later she started pooping on her bed and wiping it on the walls or climbing in DS1 crib and wiping it on him. It was gross and getting annoying. I had to stay calm and just start over with her. We also moved her back into a toddler bed and it worked. We think she felt like she had so much room she didnt know what to do with it. But that was just her.

arkansasmama08
by on Mar. 5, 2011 at 2:58 PM

thanks ladies. I think i'm just gonna have a chat with her when she gets up from her nap and tell her we're gonna do it. she keeps telling me she's a big girl so maybe we'll work off that lol.

lukesmyboy
by on Mar. 5, 2011 at 7:05 PM

Good luck! She is a cutie and the same age as my daughter.

pinkm143
by on Mar. 5, 2011 at 7:12 PM

Like all the PPs said, just start over.  I would try a 3 day approach and get rid of pull ups :-)  Underwear during the day and if she needs something at night, then a diaper.

sunnymommy122
by on Mar. 6, 2011 at 10:52 AM

agree, but i would get rid of all pull ups and diapers all together.  i feel bad, though, that you just bought some!

good luck to you and keep us posted here!

Quoting pinkm143:

Like all the PPs said, just start over.  I would try a 3 day approach and get rid of pull ups :-)  Underwear during the day and if she needs something at night, then a diaper.

LovesFredric
by on Mar. 6, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Good luck!! I hope she re-learns quickly :)

arkansasmama08
by on Mar. 6, 2011 at 5:54 PM

alright ladies, we took the leap! went back to walmart, let her pick out a potty chair, undies, candy, and stickers. she's only getting the pullups at bedtime and threw a fit last night when we put it on her. she's already peed 5 times and pooped once in it. She had 2 accidents today though...one at church and one while playing outside. but, i guess that's my fault for not keeping on top of her. This is harder when you are so outnumbered!!

LovesFredric
by on Mar. 6, 2011 at 6:00 PM
Aww hugs! I bet it is tough being outnumbered! Keep it up, we're cheering for you :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Godspitgrl
by on Mar. 6, 2011 at 9:30 PM
Yay for her going to the potty. GL hope it keeps going.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN