Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

potty resistant child! **Update**

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 4:42 AM
  • 9 Replies

DS is 2 1/2 yrs old. he has been wanting to wear underwear .... but he doesn't want to go potty on the toilet! I bought padded undies for him, but if he starts to have an accident he panics and starts running around peeing every where (think like a dog piddling on the carpet)... he will HOLD the poop until he is red in the face and sick to his stomach. if you ASK him if he has to potty his universal answer is "nooooooo" if you tell him to go he will fight you some times, but others he will go. He frequently asks to go if I'm going, or he'll insist I go too if he goes....

we made the mistake of getting mad at him for accidents when we first started training. (most of that was me. I am pregnant and my morning sickness just the smell of pee/poop makes me vomit. still hasn't gone away and I'm 20 week! though it's getting better).

DH is not very supportive with potty training and would rather just let me do it... so it's hard for him to get consistency.

We can't leave him bare bottomed as the cats will pee any where he does if I can't immediately shampoo the carpet when he has an accident.

we've been using pullups recently instead of undies because of the mess/morning sickness. And switching to a diaper when he just doesn't seem to be succeeding that day.

any advice would help.

**Update**

Except for night time and nap time we have ditched all diapers and pull ups. he is in undies. We put him in underwear and take him potty every 30 mins and keep an eye on him. This has been 2 days now and already I see an improvement. He hasn't had any accidents (knock on wood). Though he has been waiting for nap time to poop in the pull up.

I've been telling him for a couple weeks when he poops that poo-poo goes in the potty. and I ask him, Micah, where does poo-poo go? and he tells me. poo poo in the potty! so today at nap time he came out of his room and tells me. "Mommy, poo-poo in the potty?" I asked, "do you have to poo poo?" He said "yes!" I was excited, but tried to be calm. I put his potty seat on and helped him onto the potty and he tried!! He just farted, and you could hear him trying! That is a step in the right direction! I gave him a high five and told him good try! and then he went back for his nap! He did wind up pooping in his pull up while sleeping, but he tried to go on the potty!

Yay! thanks ladies for you advice! hopefully I can get him potty trained here pretty quick!

pregnancy due date

by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 4:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
bhwrn1
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 3:56 PM

What have you been doing to get him interested? Videos? Offering rewards, etc? Does he have the signs he is ready?

MumsTheWord571
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 5:09 PM

We haven't offered rewards he is more of an immediate gratification kind of kid and if we offer him something to go potty he has a melt down that he can't have it NOW even though he hasn't gone potty.

other than snacks of some sort what kind of rewards do you suggest?

He can stay dry for hours at a time, he tells us when he is wet/poopy, he occasionally tells us before he pees. He desperately wants to wear undies.

I know he's ready and has been for a while, he was doing great with potty training and then we had a month where he was constantly being watched by someone else because my BIL was in the hospital and I had to be away from him for long periods of time and now it's like we're starting all over... except his new favorite word is NO.

BrandyTheMommy2
by on Apr. 26, 2011 at 10:54 AM

It's normal for children, especially boys, to take two steps forward  and then one step backward. It's frustrating not only to the parents but to him as well. You say he desperately wants to wear undies then let him wear them. I say ditch the pull-ups/diapers it's a huge setback to most kids. When he's in his undies watch him (like a hawk lol) when he is red in the face that's your number one sign he's holding his poop bring him right away and encourage him to make poopy in the potty. Maybe start an reward chart with stickers since toys and candy seems to bring him into a melt down. Also bring him to the potty every 25-30 minutes to avoid accidents. But remember they are bound to happen (A LOT). Never show that your frustrated with him that only stresses him out more and makes him not want to go. Also, try your hardest to get DH onboard I'm sure that's very stressful to you not having the support. I hope this helps you a bit, good luck.

lukesmyboy
by on Apr. 26, 2011 at 11:09 AM

I would try to be consistant and not switch for undies to pull ups to diapers.

MumsTheWord571
by on Apr. 28, 2011 at 12:39 AM

BUMP!

LovesFredric
by on Apr. 28, 2011 at 7:14 AM
That is a GREAT update!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BrandyTheMommy2
by on Apr. 28, 2011 at 10:09 AM

That's great news mom. I'm happy to hear he's on the right track.

pinkm143
by on Apr. 28, 2011 at 5:00 PM

WOOO HOOOOO!!!!

bhwrn1
by on Apr. 28, 2011 at 5:12 PM

way to go Terrific news! So glad things are goin gin the right direction!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)