Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Getting rid of treats

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 12:03 PM
  • 7 Replies

My daughter was very resisitant to potty training in the beginning. She would refuse to sit on the potty at all even if it meant a huge accident. I tried just doing a sticker chart and that just wasn't enough for her. So I moved on to a reward system. I have little easter eggs that have stickers or a couple m&ms in them and now she wants an egg for every little drop she puts in the potty. Sometimes i think she starts peeing, stops so we can do the hand wash and reward, and then sits and goes again so she can get another treat. I've tried telling her no treats until she fills her potty or puts all her pee pee in but then she gets mad and starts having accidents. How and when do treats go away? She's only been successful with the potty for a couple weeks now. Not really sure what to do. I can't punish her or be negative about her using the potty because she is at least using it. Any ideas would be appreciated greatly. Thanks.

by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 12:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
LovesFredric
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 1:15 PM

I can't remember the exact time frame, but my son phased treats out on his own.  If he would ask for one, I would give it to him.  He gets treats now for other good behaviors, like brushing his hair without issues, or no timeouts at daycare.  I think once things become habit for them & less novel, the treats will just gradually phase out on their own.

ladsmom
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 1:28 PM

I would start by increasing the amount of times she has to go to get a reward.  I recently had to do a behavior chart for potty because my dd holds her potty too long. She has a history of UTI's and gave herself another UTI because she went 5 days with only pottying twice a day.   So to encourage her to go more often she would get a reward once she went 4 times in one day.  After about a week she just forgot about it.  You can do a google search and get just about any character.  To her putting the star on the chart was as much of a reward as a treat was.  SO maybe you could start by saying you can get a treat after you have gone potty 2 times and no accidents. Next day she has to go potty 3 times then reward. Eventually she'll just forget.

bhwrn1
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 4:00 PM

I agree with PP. I increased the time between treats. They had to go twice, then treats. Then three times then treats. Etc.

xmrksthuspt
by on Apr. 25, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Thanks for the feedback. It's really appreciated. I think I'll modify her chart so that she gets treats every two or three times she goes and that would probably help phase them out all together. Great idea guys! Thanks!

Godspitgrl
by on Apr. 25, 2011 at 12:12 PM
We never did treats but I wanted to show support and hope that the advice you got he's. Keep us informed.
RobynS
by on Apr. 25, 2011 at 3:07 PM

Hmmm... I'm not sure what to tell you. My son just stopped asking for treats after a while. It didn't really take long.

I have a feeling DD is going to be much more difficult. We've already had one failed attempt.

Good luck!!!!

lukesmyboy
by on Apr. 26, 2011 at 10:23 AM

Hmm I have never given treats. Sounds like the other ladies had some good advice.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)