Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Naptime and Bedtime training

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:17 PM
  • 7 Replies

We started the 3-day training on April 13th and has been in underwear since.  He does great on awake-training, but naptimes and bedtimes haven't been going great.

He's only stayed dry for 2 naptimes (in fact, the first 2 naptimes of the 3-day training); ever since then, he wakes up soaked.  I don't know what I've done differently; it may just have been random luck. He has his last drink 2 hours prior to nap, and he'd pee twice before nap, and he still wakes up wet.

Same with bedtime; he has his last drink 2.5 hours before bed, and he'd pee 2-3 or more times between last drink and bedtime. I go in his room an hour or two after he's fallen asleep to see if he needs to pee (his answer is always a sleepy "no"), and he's dry. I remind him to let me know if he needs to pee. I go in again at around 5am (2 hours prior to when he fully awakens), and he's wet. I listen carefully for when he stirs during the night, but I just don't seem to catch it, or it's too late and he's already wet.

Any advice on how I can discourage peeing on the bed at naptime and bedtime? 

CafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
bhwrn1
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 4:01 PM

I see that he is not quite 3 yet. Keep in mind that nighttime/sleeping control may take a little longer. I think you are on the right track with limiting fluids. At night you can try and wake him once to go during the night if you think that might work. I layered the bed with sheets and waterproof bedcovers so I could just do a quick change.

Godspitgrl
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 7:36 PM
I'm not sure what to tell you but wanted to give you a bump to hope you find help.
violetgirl
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:14 PM

Thanks for your replies ladies.  So, being that he's pretty much soaked his bed every night since he started wearing underwear, I'm really wanting to put him on pull-ups during sleeping times.  I've read that this could confuse him, but I'm wondering if there's any truth to that?  I do have waterproof bedcovers and all, but I'm 5 1/2 months pregnant, and all the mattress lifting and sheet pulling and tugging and laundry and baths twice a day, everyday, etc., is really wearing me out physically.

Have there been any known problems or confusion switching kids from underwear to pullups at bedtime and naptime?  He's doing sooo well with daytime training, and I don't want to mess that up.  Thanks again!

pinkm143
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 10:47 AM

Have you tried waking him up from his nap 10-15 minutes early or does he wake himself up.  Most of the time at naptime they pee as soon as they wake up.  Also instead of asking him if he needs to go potty at night I would just take him before you go to bed.  This REALLY helped with my two and now they easily wake up when we go to get them and are accident free.

I potty trained both my mine pretty early and we used diapers at night for about a year after.  I wouldn't use pull ups but a diaper instead and only at bed time.  Mine never had a problem with it and never wanted to go back to diapers during the day. 

AspensMama1537
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 10:56 AM
I have been putting my daughter in pull ups for nap and bed. She doesn't seem confused at all. She trys to wait and make it to the bathroom, but sometimes she will wake up wet. Sh knows she isn't supposed to go in her pull up. She says "oh no". I don't think it would confuse your child. I think it is a really great idea, especially with you being pregnant.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lukesmyboy
by on Apr. 26, 2011 at 11:08 AM

I would watch for signs durring nap time. Squirming or getting restless is a big one.

violetgirl
by on Apr. 28, 2011 at 9:59 PM

Just wanted to update.  Two days in a row now, my son woke up from his nap dry.  He even woke up on his own, about 40 minutes into his nap, to go pee, then went back to sleep for another hour and wakes up dry.  I'm psyched!  If only he could do this at bedtime.  LOL.  I decided to put him on pull-ups at bedtime ... and you're right, this does not confuse him at all ... he even gets up an hour or two later to pee and treats his pull-ups like underwear.  He seems to wet himself anytime between midnight and 5am, but I'm way too exhausted to wake him up during those times to take him to the bathroom.  This pregnancy is kicking my butt.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)