Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Not chewing well

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 5:31 PM
  • 8 Replies
So as we all know what goes in must come out. So what if your LOs are not chewing well (corn ESP) and when they go potty it comes out solid? Is there a way to help them understand they need to chew long?also is there a way to help a LOs so bottom that is no longer in diapers? I tried to put some A&D ointment on DD but she freaked lout and was not having it.
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 5:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
LovesFredric
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 5:58 PM

Not sure about the corn - goes through me too ha!!

When ds gets iritations on his bottom, I have him take a nice bath & then we lotion/aquaphor it up afterwards. That seems to help!

bhwrn1
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Hmmm...I have never had this problem. Honestly, it should break down from the acid in the stomach and then the enzymes that are in the intestines. I wonder why it is coming out so solid. Has she ever had digestion issues?

Godspitgrl
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 6:37 PM
No not that is diagnosed anyway. It just seems to happen from time to time.
ladsmom
by on Apr. 25, 2011 at 8:20 AM

I've just noticed that some things don't get digested.  Especially the skins of some veggies.  My dad has bowel problems and can no longer eat those veggies.  What we don't use just comes out.  I don't think it's anything to worry about. 

I give my kids baths with baking soda when they have irritations.  My dd won't have anything to do with cream put on her bottom.  She had a vaginal infection and I was told to use neosporin (sp?) and anti-fungal foot cream and she had an allergic reaction to one of them and it made it worse so now if we mention cream she freaks out.  Before that though she would put things on herself so maybe you could coach her on putting it on herself?

BrandyTheMommy2
by on Apr. 25, 2011 at 8:51 AM

Corn normally comes out that way whether or not it's chewed or not chewed.  When we chew corn, the outer coating slips off the inner kernal. This outer yellow coating is almost entirely cellulose, and is indigestible. It passes through the gut untouched, and emerges looking like a whole kernal, although it is mostly just the outer skin. The inside of the kernal is starchy and digestible, and that is the part that we succeed in chewing up. Nothing to worry about (at least when it comes to corn). GL

pinkm143
by on Apr. 25, 2011 at 8:59 AM

This, we don't have the enzyme in our body to break down the outer skin of corn kernels.

Quoting BrandyTheMommy2:

Corn normally comes out that way whether or not it's chewed or not chewed.  When we chew corn, the outer coating slips off the inner kernal. This outer yellow coating is almost entirely cellulose, and is indigestible. It passes through the gut untouched, and emerges looking like a whole kernal, although it is mostly just the outer skin. The inside of the kernal is starchy and digestible, and that is the part that we succeed in chewing up. Nothing to worry about (at least when it comes to corn). GL

pinkm143
by on Apr. 25, 2011 at 9:01 AM

If it was hurting her, you can give her more fiber or wet wipes seem to help mine when they have to wipe.

lukesmyboy
by on Apr. 26, 2011 at 10:59 AM

Very common and normal! My kids always have beans in their poop haha Olives and rasins are other foos that dont break down much.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)