• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New to group && potty training! *Some Questions*

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:53 PM
  • 5 Replies

My name is Tabitha and I am the proud mommy of a 21 month old boy named Austin:) I am currently a SAHM because I am pregnant with boy #2. I am going to start Austin's potty training at the beginning of June...soo I have about a week to do some major research. I am pretty sure he is ready for this step because he hides and squats while pooping, follows me into the bathroom and hands me my toilet paper, and he has been tugging on his diaper after he goes.

I would like to know kids potty or kids toilet seat?

Also, pull ups or straight to big boy undies?

Any tips for getting started?

pregnancy week by week

babies

by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
RobynS
by on May. 22, 2011 at 11:23 AM

Straight to big boy underwear... pull-ups are a waste of money, IMO, and not different enough from diapers.

As far as the potty... we used a potty chair for DS. But it really depends on what your LO is comfortable with, I suppose.

Good luck, mama!

RobynS
by on May. 22, 2011 at 11:23 AM

Oh, and congrats on baby #2!

pinkm143
by on May. 22, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Straight to underwear.  I had one that liked the small potty and one that wouldn't ever use it.  If you can I would get both, eventually you will move to the potty topper anyways.  I also found it much easier after the first few days to put them on the big potty as there wasn't the addtional clean up needed for the small potty.

LovesFredric
by on May. 22, 2011 at 5:48 PM

If you can afford it - I would do a kids potty chair and a toilet seat.  My son liked them both at different times/developments.  We also got a fold up toilet seat for on the go (and would sometimes take our potty chair with us).

I would skip the pull ups & do a naked bum first, followed by underwear after he starts to get the hang of when he's peeing.

Lots of praise & goodies for trying and/or successes.  Accidents are learning experiences, no big deal!!  We kept a potty chair where we were playing for quick access.

Good luck - keep us updated!

bhwrn1
by on May. 22, 2011 at 8:49 PM

I agree with what all the PP have said! Great tips.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)